HP Developing Windows 8 Tablets and Ultrabooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I find it funny that people slam HP yet they are 2nd only to Acer in PC shipments..lol[/citation]

there 2nd because people are always looking for the cheapest computers. HP manages to keep them cheap with low quality parts

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]there 2nd because people are always looking for the cheapest computers. HP manages to keep them cheap with low quality parts[/citation]

I assume you'll say compaq is cheap too? Sorry, but back in 06 I had a compaq computer walmart one $300. I don't use any of the parts now, except the case (custom built mostly), but guess what? The hard drive is still working, the processor is still working, the motherboard is still working, the ram still works, and heck the power supply was still working when I sold it last year. What was this about cheap parts? I guess the compaq division of HP in 06 used more quality parts right?

speakmymind

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
i owned a compaq, and the motherboard died after a year of light use. the fan was cranking very loud, even when the 5% of cpu was used. i don't have any issue with it, as long as i don't see it. hp compaq indeed has the decent quality.

hp should get out ot the confusion they created with the rumor to spin off their pc business and get back their customers' confidence before they jump back on tablet pc business(which they allegedly never dropped out of). :)

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I hope this works out, but deep down I know it won't. Of all the laptops I've worked on, the HPs have always been the most problematic for me. I agree with the comment that the reason they sold so well is because they kept their prices low. And you always, ALWAYS, get what you pay for.

brothermist

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
I cant speak for other HP products, hell maybe I just got lucky with mine, I dont know. I have only ever bought 1 prebuilt PC and it was an HP Pavilion a1467c. It has been running flawlessly for almost 6years now. And I almost never turn it off. Never had a single problem with any of the hardware. So while HP may not use top shelf parts, I'd say I got my moneys worth out of that PC for sure. I do have another PC I game on, but my little old HP just keeps on trucking. Its the PC I throw the gf, kids, and friends at. Still always on, always DL-ing crap, playing old school games, and being beaten on by kids. If I had to buy prebuilt again I would not hesitate to go HP for a second. Just my experience.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Unless you buy a performance desktop or laptop, ALL manufacturers use cheap parts. It's how they make money. Unless you buy high-end machines, it's pretty much hit or miss anyway (Even with high-end machines it can sometimes be hit or miss).

Even within the same brand/models you can have very different results. I once owned 3 Dell Dimension 4600s way back when. 2 worked perfectly for 6 years, but the other one had a hard drive, motherboard, and later a power supply fail on it. The Hard Drive was a Maxtor, the motherboard was cheap, and the power supply was underpowered. I Also owned a Gateway at the time when they were considered crap, and mine lasted 10 years and is still working under heavy use today, the only change has been the addition of a graphics card and a new hard drive (reasonable for 10 years). This is true for most machines: cheap OEM drive, bare minimum mobo, and the lowest-powered psu that will power everything while new (forget about 2 years down the road)

G

I am glad someone came to their senses and got approval to continue making mobile devices.

It is amazing to me how many bad decisions HP made over the last few years. It seems like they were actually trying to fail in the mobile space. Hummm, now that I think about it, that makes perfect sense.

HP and Compaq once had excellent laptops there were the best of the best and would last for many many years, trouble free.

Who signed off on that last design with the one piece cheap plastic body that burned your palms? What about not including USB 3.0 when even Acer's first second gen i3 - i7 had one port? I just could not believe they left that off. Stupid!

I have two HP laptops and need a replacement. I have been waiting for a reasonable design from them. Simple stuff like - nice design, cool palms, 1 USB 3.0 port and a good price. Is that asking too much?

Anyway, I would fire their whole design team and bring in some fresh eyes. Horrible, just awful... And I really want another HP! Darn it.

snakeye2669

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
It the luck of the draw when it come in prebuild machine from any large manufacturing personal PC company (Dell, HP, Acer, etc). I've work on and personally use most of the name brand PC builder in the past and now. You have to remember when large PC company built there system, they get parts from different vendors as well, those vendors parts come in new, will be defective sometime at a different rate in their life span. Computer parts come in from cheaply made to high-end parts, high-end parts do get DOA sometime too. Even when you built a machine yourself, you don't know if it work as advertise, until you power it up and use day by day. And then their the end user, how they use it and if it maintain properly or what the environment the PC place. I can compare PC to car. If you don't do maintenance, it not going to last, but some you beat it up it still last, because of the right parts, go figure.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]there 2nd because people are always looking for the cheapest computers. HP manages to keep them cheap with low quality parts[/citation]
They have high volume not because of consumers but because of business, if a call centre does a PC refresh and needs 3000 new desktops HP will provide a machine that suits their needs and have an excellent support infrastructure. Sales to home users are not a major market to ANY large OEM.

blakwolf

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
HP TC1100. That's right. They were ahead of their time with that model. It's old and still can run the latest OS's. Time to put quality back into the Tablet.

g-unit1111

Titan
Almost kind of a slap in the face to us Touchpad users - and people who were counting on HP to provide WebOS updates. They should have some kind of upgrade / trade-in offer in place for those of us who use them already.

well HP owns compaq so............yea lol

G

I think HP is also great. I use hp, that keeps me satisfy still now.
ninja blender

Status
Not open for further replies.