HP Envy 14 and 17 Official, Starting at $999

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]Sexy. Is tom's going to give me one for being such a great comment whore?[/citation]
Yes! :p

Beats by Dr Dre? They're still trying to get people to care about that?

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
999$ is a pretty good deal for such a laptop, I'm assuming that the 999 model has the discrete graphics like the HD5570 or so.
If they can get it to have ~6 hours of battery life at moderate use that would be a laptop i'd consider buying if i was looking for a 14 inch.

trkraus

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
I've been looking at the envy 15 inch for a long time now and was considering getting it, but it was not perfect. Battery life was only about 2 hours without the battery slide, no internal optical drive or backlit keyboard, and got very hot
This 14 inch one looks awesome...probably going to end up buying it when it comes out.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]Sexy. Is tom's going to give me one for being such a great comment whore?[/citation]

Sadly no, all commenting whoring will get you is us saying, "Hey this guy has been commenting loads lately ... "

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think the question to be asking is do these have more horsepower then ASUS and MSI equivalents. HP uses cheaper parts yet same or higher prices. If they expect to compete they need some kind of advantage over those 2.

mouettus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I think the question to be asking is do these have more horsepower then ASUS and MSI equivalents. HP uses cheaper parts yet same or higher prices. If they expect to compete they need some kind of advantage over those 2.[/citation]

what models?
do you have any links to provide? I'd be very interested to compare. I've been looking over for a well-constructed laptop for some time now. I can't stand those plasticky, bending feels. the only ones that seems well constructed to me (that I've seen and felt in stores) are the macs, lenovo, and HP envy

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Sadly no, all commenting whoring will get you is us saying, "Hey this guy has been commenting loads lately ... "[/citation]

Such a downer!

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]dante01010[/nom]i´d take a macbook pro or a Asus g51jx over this Mac wanna be notebook[/citation]

Well you would be getting ripped off if you got the macbook...

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Luscious[/nom]Hey Jane, any info on the display on the Envy 17?[/citation]

Let me have a look around for you. HP aren't exactly going nuts with the details for these two.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Personally I have no trouble at all with the design but I thought for a second it was Apple news.

This became an epiphany for me.

I have received a lot of insults lately here at Tom's from a lot of readers for using a Mac and I don't blame you people, I respect you. Again, I am a PC user too and I love my PC with Windows included. And I am not criticizing HP as I would do the same they are doing. But this is pure indulgence.

would be great for free
the advantage to this notebook..is saying i'm cooler than you and saving no time at all getting to facebook and being a total douche ag
well and you are not paying an extra 400-700 for mac software...frig that must be an amazing operating system

amdgamer666

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
I'm glad HP is refreshing the envy lineup. I recently acquired an envy 15" with a 1080p screen for a cool grand and I absolutely love it. The new ones will have optical drives and backlit keyboards, both of which are features that I would like but weren't dealbreakers for me.

[citation][nom]frostyfireball[/nom]999$ is a pretty good deal for such a laptop, I'm assuming that the 999 model has the discrete graphics like the HD5570 or so. If they can get it to have ~6 hours of battery life at moderate use that would be a laptop i'd consider buying if i was looking for a 14 inch.[/citation]

Actually, the base model is using Intel graphics. You're going to have to shell out a little money for dedicated performance unfortunately.

[citation][nom]Luscious[/nom]Hey Jane, any info on the display on the Envy 17?[/citation]

1600x900 by default, 1920x1080 optional

mouettus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
[citation][nom]amdgamer666[/nom]Actually, the base model is using Intel graphics. You're going to have to shell out a little money for dedicated performance unfortunately.
1600x900 by default, 1920x1080 optional[/citation]

Actually I wouldn't game on a 14".So as long as the integrated solution is powerful enough for smooth 1080p playback, I'm all about saving a little money and battery power.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I am a pc enthusiast, but I must say, with the price going upwards into apple territory it had better compete equally on battery life, or it will be no better than apples over priced hardware.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I would love to game on a 14" It's perfect, rez wouldn't be so high as to destroy the mid-level video card. Less display area and sane video card = laptop like battery life. Plus the price could be manageable.

However, this is not that laptop. There are laptops for under $999 with a 5660 out there.

amdgamer666

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
[citation][nom]lip008[/nom]With the footprint these take up I don't understand why an optical drive isn't crammed in.[/citation]

These new 14 and 17" models will come with slot loading optical drives

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]mouettus[/nom]what models?do you have any links to provide? I'd be very interested to compare. I've been looking over for a well-constructed laptop for some time now. I can't stand those plasticky, bending feels. the only ones that seems well constructed to me (that I've seen and felt in stores) are the macs, lenovo, and HP envy[/citation]

Hmm I guess that is an advantage. I don't think alot of people mind plastic laptops if they are cheaper. Its not like laptops have a long usage period. Take for instance ASUS top of the range, g73JH-a1. Its the peak of laptops right now for almost half what a top-range laptop would go for a couple years ago. Then you have the MSI models that is pretty much a mirror of the Envy15 at $1000.

Status
Not open for further replies.