[SOLVED] HP Envy non-stop BSOD after BIOS Update

Rooki3_N00b

Honorable
Apr 29, 2016
Hello everyone. Hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. Sorry for the very long post, just trying to give as much detai as possible .

I have a HP Envy Notebook J100-CTO which I bought in early 2016. This laptop has ever since been working just fine up until a year ago from which it started to show signs of slowdown. No matter how many times I've installed a new Windows, installed drivers and updates, dusted the laptop and even upgraded the RAM (from 8 to 12) it stayed the same in terms of performance. A week ago I've decided to check the manufacturer's site for any updates and I noticed that my BIOS (F.35 Rev A) is way outdated so I foolishly decided to update it to the latest (F.52 Rev A) in hopes of faster performance. Right after the BIOS update, I got BSOD no matter what I did. If I touched the computer when the disk was at 100%, I got BSOD. When I used Android Emulators, games etc I got BSOD and even sometimes when I came back to my computer after leaving it idle for long.

Here are the things that I have tried ever since:

1: Ran sfc and other disk repair commands. They found corrupted files and repaired them but it did not help.
2: Ran Mem check and it said I have a corrupted memory but I have to note that it did NOT say that when I ran the test a while BEFORE BIOS update.
3: Roll-back of BIOS which failed because it says "Cannot open the signature file" which I believe means they block me from downgrading it.
4: Ran Driver Verifier for ALL drivers which gave me BSOD upon system login for a few intel and *Realtek drivers (more details below) but after updating the drivers, I no longer got BSOD after I ran the test on them again.

*The intel drivers that gave me BSOD after running the Driver Verifier were Dptf_cpu.sys, Esfi_lf.sys
**The Realtek/PCIE drivers that gave me BSOD afterrunning the Driver Verifier were rt640x64 and Rtsper.sys

In order to get a better understanding of the BSOD, I checked the minidump files with BlueScreenView app and they are ALL caused by the driver ntoskrnl.exe

Below is the attached .zip file that has the past 3 minidump files and a msinfo32 in case if anyone wants to look at it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qbtti-pXYKTA32bqMxwBZiRjPPHpRs2A/view?usp=sharing

Thank you for your assistance.

Solution
Generally when I look for an updated version of a driver through windows update/HP/intel driver updater, they say I have 1 or 2 driver updates available but when I use a 3rd party driver updater like IObit driver updater, it says i have 30+ drivers need updating. IObit's driver upate list includes things related to my hard drive, battery and other chipsets.
I think it counts every driver in an application as an individual driver. Many driver packs include more than 1 driver, you instlal the AMD chipset drivers, for instance, and it might add about 4 drivers. I count that as 1 driver, as really you can't get the others by themselves.

Driver booster wants to make it seem like you need it. It exageates the number of drivers you...

Colif

Win 11 Master
okay, i have asked a friend to convert dumps but he is away this weekend.

its probably a driver, and dumps will show what is installed, and maybe cause. But while we wait for my friend,

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/18exvju4/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:092021-68296-01.dmp (Sep 19 2021 - 15:48:48)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER (F7)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 33 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)

File information:092021-43671-01.dmp (Sep 19 2021 - 16:03:12)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER (F7)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 44 Sec(s)

File information:091921-39531-01.dmp (Sep 19 2021 - 14:37:49)
Bugcheck:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)
Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed. (Common on laptops).

Comment: The overclocking driver "IOCBios2.sys" was found on your system. (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)

System: HP ENVY Notebook

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
2 mention intelppm which is part of windows that talks to the CPU.
Your version of Intel Management Engine Interface appears to be about as new as i am likely to find.
Oct 01 2020TeeDriverW10x64.sysIntel Management Engine Interface driver
notes on bios don't really tell us what it changed.

I would be suprised if this found anything - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

or have you tried that already?
Jul 18 2019semav6msr64.sysIntel Driver Update Utility http://www.intel.com/ OR (SEMA Software) http://www.sema-soft.de/en/home/

I assume it installed
Jan 19 2021iocbios2.sys!!! Overclocking Software - Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility Performance Tuning driver
as that is odd to find on a laptop. coiuld try removing it.

Rooki3_N00b

Honorable
Apr 29, 2016
okay, i have asked a friend to convert dumps but he is away this weekend.

its probably a driver, and dumps will show what is installed, and maybe cause. But while we wait for my friend,

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Thank you. Since the list is too big to take a proper screenshot of, here's a link to a text file that contains all the driver details exported.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fTq7mcEr5tk_vdkA2nU3da2twXNVEdmC/view?usp=sharing

Rooki3_N00b

Honorable
Apr 29, 2016
Your version of Intel Management Engine Interface appears to be about as new as i am likely to find.

Where can I get another version of this then?

Nope, says all up to date.
or have you tried that already?

Yes I have but no the SEMA one. Tried going to that link but asks for postal code and hardlock and code which I have no idea what they are

as that is odd to find on a laptop. coiuld try removing it.

I have never overclocked my computer. Will try to remove it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the descriptions/links after the semav6msr64.sys is just a description of what file is, I didn't mean for you to go to it.. I copied it out of the file Gardenman created from your dump. We try to have a description for each driver, that is all that is.

Probably isn't a newer version of the Intel Management ENgine Interface file. That was what I meant.

Intel extreme tuning should be in the add/remove apps screen.

your audio drivers are from 2016 even if they say they from 2021. Probably okay
your card reader is from 2015 but unlikely to be newer
just looking through driver list. Nothing stands out.

Reactions: Rooki3_N00b

Colif

Win 11 Master
if it doesn't just stop, you may find only answer is a clean install. It could be that gets rid of the driver that is to blame, even though Driver Verifer finds no faults now. It doesn't help there is no indication of previous BIOS on the site, it just shows the latest, most motherbaord makers list all of the versions. Can see what changes they make too. HP don't tell you anything, the readme has a lot of words but they don't say anything helpful

Rooki3_N00b

Honorable
Apr 29, 2016
It doesn't help there is no indication of previous BIOS on the site, it just shows the latest, most motherbaord makers list all of the versions.

Apologies If I misunderstand but if you're referring to the previous bios version on the HP website, it is available. The changelog for F.35-F.46 and F.49 + only includes security improvements. Except F.48.
85SMsnt.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
i must have missed the previous version link (Or I may have mixed it up with another question)

Shame you have to pay for updating BIOS on a whim. Its why I haven't said anywhere that its not a smart thing to do, as you know that now. Creating new problems you didn't have isn't the reaction you expect from an update. But BIOS are the extreme, updating any driver can mess you up.

I should stop updating all mine soon, but newer PC can still benefit from new drivers. The older they get, the better off you are with sticking with what works. I have a BIOS update or 3 but well, PC works now so I haven't bothered.

Last edited:

Rooki3_N00b

Honorable
Apr 29, 2016
I have just one more thing to ask if you don't mind answering. Generally when I look for an updated version of a driver through windows update/HP/intel driver updater, they say I have 1 or 2 driver updates available but when I use a 3rd party driver updater like IObit driver updater, it says i have 30+ drivers need updating. IObit's driver upate list includes things related to my hard drive, battery and other chipsets.

Which one am i supposed to trust here?

gardenman

Splendid
Please do not use IObit's driver update (booster). It's one of the common issues causing BSODs for so many people who show up here. It can install incorrect drivers. It will update drivers when not needed and can install buggy new drivers where there was no problem before.

Only update specific drivers if you are having an issue with that driver. Or update the drivers that Colif suggests based on reviewing the dump files.

Uninstall any driver update software that you may have.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Generally when I look for an updated version of a driver through windows update/HP/intel driver updater, they say I have 1 or 2 driver updates available but when I use a 3rd party driver updater like IObit driver updater, it says i have 30+ drivers need updating. IObit's driver upate list includes things related to my hard drive, battery and other chipsets.
I think it counts every driver in an application as an individual driver. Many driver packs include more than 1 driver, you instlal the AMD chipset drivers, for instance, and it might add about 4 drivers. I count that as 1 driver, as really you can't get the others by themselves.

Driver booster wants to make it seem like you need it. It exageates the number of drivers you need. It lies too.
There is a website called "Can you run it" if you run the tests it will say your GPU drivers are out of date, and if you click the link that shows where to get new drivers, it links to Driver Booster. Its a lie, even if your drivers are brand new it says they are old. They want people to download and then pay extra for a product that will install the wrong drivers

I have never seen a system that needs 30+ new drivers.

3rd party driver updaters get it wrong. I have used Driver Booster myself, I used to think it was a easy shortcut but after it ijnstalled the wrong drivers 2 times, I learned my lesson.

If you want to find a list of drivers on your PC, use https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
all it does is runs a command that is already in windows, it just formats it in a way that is easier to read.

Trust the makers of the hardware, go to them for updates. Eventually HP won't have any but Intel might and Realtek probably will.

Solution