Question HP EX 920 sudden large drop in performance/responsiveness

sean8102

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2016
Hey guys. Weird issue I'm having that I don't really know how to trouble shoot. I've sent a e-mail to customer service since my drive is under warranty but waiting on a reply to see if my RMA request has been granted. Sent first e-mail Monday, they replied Tuesday with a form to fill out (Model, SN, issue, image of invoice to show purchase date etc), I replied same day. Didn't hear back from them today (Wednesday) but hopefully will tomorrow.

So I've had my 1TB HP EX 920 for about 2 years now. It's been great, no problems, at least until very recently.

I noticed my boot times seemed usually high recently so I started digging into things. First thing I did was open task manager right after logging in and when to the performance tab and clicked on the EX 920. I noticed it's utilization was staying pegged at 100 percent for quite a long time after rebooting and logging in. Also the "Average response time" shown by task manager was regularly hitting and saying at really high numbers like 40,000-100,000+ MS. I ran benchmarks and noticed the drives performance is way lower than normal but only in certain areas of benchmarks.

First image is a screenshot from a benchmark of the drive I did a few months ago, second is what I get from it now.

qru358Z.png

scvXaso.png

So I figured I'd just do a completely clean install of Windows 10. But even during the install and first boot of Windows 10 (where it goes through the "We're setting things up" screen) was taking a really long time. I checked task manager again when it was finished, same stats after doing a reboot and this is with a brand new install of Windows 10.
I tried installing the official drivers from the support site but that made no difference. I tried installing the latest version of drivers for the drivers Silicon Motion controller. That made no difference either.

I made a post on reddit about this in r/buildapc but got only one response asking me how much data was on the drive and if I'd been using TRIM. So before anyone asks I switched to using my WD Black SN 750 as my OS drive so the HP EX 920 currently is just formatted and assigned a drive letter but has no data on it. And yes Windows 10 was/has been set to auto run TRIM once a week. But I went ahead and ran it manually for the heck of it (which I also still did from time to time anyways) and I noticed that now takes much longer than it used to.

Any ideas why the drive suddenly just tank like this? I've used crystal disk info and my TBW is only 39. The specs list in the booklet that came in the box states "5 years or 650 TBW". It's running at PCI-E 3.0 x4 as it should be. Even though my WD Black SN 750 is working perfectly in its slot I still tried swapping NVME slots but of course that made no difference.

I'm just stumped. I'm hoping support makes it easy for me to just send them my drive and get a replacement but we'll see. It's def still under warranty since it comes with a 5 year warranty.

Last edited:
Hey guys. Weird issue I'm having that I don't really know how to trouble shoot. I've sent a e-mail to customer service since my drive is under warranty but waiting on a reply to see if my RMA request has been granted. Sent first e-mail Monday, they replied Tuesday with a form to fill out (Model, SN, issue, image of invoice to show purchase date etc), I replied same day. Didn't hear back from them today (Wednesday) but hopefully will tomorrow.

So I've had my 1TB HP EX 920 for about 2 years now. It's been great, no problems, at least until very recently.

I noticed my boot times seemed usually high recently so I started digging into things. First thing I did was open task manager right after logging in and when to the performance tab and clicked on the EX 920. I noticed it's utilization was staying pegged at 100 percent for quite a long time after rebooting and logging in. Also the "Average response time" shown by task manager was regularly hitting and saying at really high numbers like 40,000-100,000+ MS. I ran benchmarks and noticed the drives performance is way lower than normal but only in certain areas of benchmarks.

First image is a screenshot from a benchmark of the drive I did a few months ago, second is what I get from it now.

qru358Z.png

scvXaso.png

So I figured I'd just do a completely clean install of Windows 10. But even during the install and first boot of Windows 10 (where it goes through the "We're setting things up" screen) was taking a really long time. I checked task manager again when it was finished, same stats after doing a reboot and this is with a brand new install of Windows 10.
I tried installing the official drivers from the support site but that made no difference. I tried installing the latest version of drivers for the drivers Silicon Motion controller. That made no difference either.

I made a post on reddit about this in r/buildapc but got only one response asking me how much data was on the drive and if I'd been using TRIM. So before anyone asks I switched to using my WD Black SN 750 as my OS drive so the HP EX 920 currently is just formatted and assigned a drive letter but has no data on it. And yes Windows 10 was/has been set to auto run TRIM once a week. But I went ahead and ran it manually for the heck of it (which I also still did from time to time anyways) and I noticed that now takes much longer than it used to.

Any ideas why the drive suddenly just tank like this? I've used crystal disk info and my TBW is only 39. The specs list TBW support at 400. It's running at PCI-E 3.0 x4 as it should be. Even though my WD Black SN 750 is working perfectly in its slot I still tried swapping NVME slots but of course that made no difference.

I'm just stumped. I'm hoping support makes it easy for me to just send them my drive and get a replacement but we'll see. It's def still under warranty since it comes with a 5 year warranty.
Run a pass of crystal disk info on the disk.
Post a screen shot.
Let's see if SMART shows anything.

Reactions: sean8102

sean8102

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2016
Just wanted to follow up on this. The customer support for these HP SSD drives is excellent.

I e-mailed the support address (IDK if links are ok so I'll just say it's on the multiponte website). I e-mailed Monday, got a response next day early morning asking me to fill out some info (model/SN, some basic PC specs like CPU, PSU, System/Motherboard brand, RAM, OS) and "Reason" and to attach a image of proof of purchase.

I just put that the drives read and write speeds had suddenly nose dived, and the performance was so bad that boot times were taking a really long time, I tried clean installing Windows 10 but noticed the install was taking forever. Told them I tried moving the drive to my motherboards other NVME slot and swapping it with my other SSD. Same issue.

They replied 2 days later with my RMA number, and address to ship to. I shipped it through USPS with the cheapest method, plus a $3 fee to add $130 of insurance just to be safe. According to tracking they recieved it on Friday. Exactly 1 week later, the next Friday I get my replacement drive. I'm 99 percent positive it's brand new and not refurbished. It came in sealed retail packaging, there are no labels or anything to indicate it's a refurb.

Most importantly it works perfectly.

And to be honest I think this issue was caused by me. That drive was my first NVME drive. I didn't realize till I got my second one and installed it that I had the EX 920 installed incorrectly for over 2 years. On my MSI board it uses a big screw that you move to the hole you need to use for the length of the drive and the big screw has a smaller screw that goes into it. This is completely my fault and stupid of me. I had the EX 920 installed by mounting it under the large screw so it was at an angle. The angle was extreme enough that it stood out to me so I left it. My suspicion is that over 2 and half years the board was damaged in some way from the stress causing it to not fail but have the performance issue. That's just my guess.

Either way very happy with their customer service, would def buy another HP SDD again.

P3EKVz5.png

Reactions: Maxxify