HP Ignoring Nvidia Chipset Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The boards are like $150 on eBay. There's actually people now seem to specialize in repairing these boards too and that will run you about $80. Of course the DV6000 and 9000 series are a bit of work to take apart yourself :D.

akoegle

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Im a computer tech and I see 2-3 of these laptops come in a week with similar problems. Some are covered under the extended warranty, some are not. I will never own an HP laptop because of this.

[citation][nom]akoegle[/nom]Im a computer tech and I see 2-3 of these laptops come in a week with similar problems. Some are covered under the extended warranty, some are not. I will never own an HP laptop because of this.[/citation]

second that mate

sot010174

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2004
[citation][nom]The Schnoz[/nom]I didn't know Hewlett-Packard made Xbox 360's.[/citation]

LOL I was going to write that.
[citation][nom]akoegle[/nom]Im a computer tech and I see 2-3 of these laptops come in a week with similar problems. Some are covered under the extended warranty, some are not. I will never own an HP laptop because of this.[/citation]

+1

I had like about 5 HP laptops last year sitting on my table because of random problems like :
-Battery won't charge
-Webcam wouldn't work anymore (broken hardware)
-Mobo Failure
-Touchscreen failure

No HP laptops for me thank you!

98silvz71

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
I just hate the lack of support. I have tried to help friends on their HP notebooks and both times I have had problems getting the right driver for this or that, even when they say that it is the right one for the machine.

TimeWarrior

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
HP will never change their ways, they make too much money ripping people off! I own one of the dv2000 series that also has GPU overheat problems and I would never buy from HP again. It seems HP offers extended warranties only on specific model numbers even if the whole series is affected - I suppose this makes them look like their 'helping' while not actually having to commit any real money to making things right.

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
[citation][nom]sot010174[/nom]LOL I was going to write that.+1I had like about 5 HP laptops last year sitting on my table because of random problems like :-Battery won't charge-Webcam wouldn't work anymore (broken hardware)-Mobo Failure-Touchscreen failureNo HP laptops for me thank you![/citation]

You should buy an Acer instead! I'm sure you will have better luck with them... or maybe a ToshiTba instead!!!

my_name_is_earl

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
HP repair service is horrible. Call them up, they gave me a number to repair my laptop DVD drive and then told me to call again to a different department. Then call to a different department and was redirect to someone else then gave me another number to call another department. I gave up and never buy an HP computer again. Their product look nice but it doesn't last very long not to mention my Nvidia graphic card starting to act up and shutting my laptop from time to time. Try Asus laptop and it was the best laptop brand I've ever buy.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
glad I got an HP DV9260 with a Go 7600, the series BEFORE the bad GPU's. Only shitter is that it is the i915pm chipset, not the 965p, no 45nm chips for me :(

G

Have previously been using Acer, then decided that HP looks cool. Biggest mistake of my life. Exactly after my warranty expires, the nVidia chip died. HP told me it's going to cost at least $300 to replace. Given up on them. Have gone back to Acer. A real good deal (cheaper and better specs as well :))

G

My Compaq V5000 has been running spectacular for over 3 years. My sister's HP tx1000 was purchased a little over 1.5 years and it is completely dead. I read about the MANY instances online where people reported a wifi card failure, and then only a matter of time before complete system failure do to mobo problems. Her laptop was over $1000, I bought mine for about $500... I love compaq, but I hate HP for not acknowledging the problems that EXIST! *shakes fist*

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
My HP dv9657cl isn't quite dead yet, but the screen does very weird things before spontaneously blue-screening. I sent it in to their repair facility and got a call back 3 weeks later saying they ran a full diagnostic of my computer, and all of the problems were caused by faulty hard drive. And they decided that they would not honor the warranty because although I bought the laptop new, it was not from one of their "authorized" distributors. So they offered to replace the 160GB hard drive for me for only $238, and I told them to go jump.
So after being without my laptop for almost a month, I got it back in the same condition that I sent it. I checked the drive and found nothing wrong with it, but eventually replaced it with a spare I had, yet the problems haven't gone away.

http://atomicferret.blogspot.com/2009/04/i-hate-hp-best-buy.html

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
My wife bought a Dell m1330 with an 8400m last July, right before the news broke about the bad chips. I flashed the bios right away, then she started having problems with it just last week. The dell technician on the phone had her flash the bios again, but then it failed completely the next day. Dell is sending a technician to my house to replace the motherboard this week. Any company can put out a bum product every once in a while, what matters is how they deal with it. Very disappointed to hear HP isn't backing their product up.

[citation][nom]Luscious[/nom]Interesting - my zd7000 has been going strong for over 5 years now. Behemoth is built like a tank.[/citation]

Were talking about the modern laptops with geforce 7+ video cards, not ancient ones ;)

[citation][nom]andetghyfh[/nom]My Compaq V5000 has been running spectacular for over 3 years. My sister's HP tx1000 was purchased a little over 1.5 years and it is completely dead. I read about the MANY instances online where people reported a wifi card failure, and then only a matter of time before complete system failure do to mobo problems. Her laptop was over $1000, I bought mine for about $500... I love compaq, but I hate HP for not acknowledging the problems that EXIST! *shakes fist*[/citation]

Compaq and HP are the same company now, have been for a long time, and both suffer the same issues because they both use the same designs.

[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]glad I got an HP DV9260 with a Go 7600, the series BEFORE the bad GPU's. Only shitter is that it is the i915pm chipset, not the 965p, no 45nm chips for me[/citation]

actually worked on one today (not sure what sub model but Centrino Duo (Yonah?) + Nvidia 7600 gpu) - run prime (multicore) and ATITool artifact scan - shuts down in under 10 minutes (checked the cooling - clean)

[citation][nom]tbq[/nom]My HP dv9657cl isn't quite dead yet, but the screen does very weird things before spontaneously blue-screening. I sent it in to their repair facility and got a call back 3 weeks later saying they ran a full diagnostic of my computer, and all of the problems were caused by faulty hard drive. And they decided that they would not honor the warranty because although I bought the laptop new, it was not from one of their "authorized" distributors. So they offered to replace the 160GB hard drive for me for only $238, and I told them to go jump.So after being without my laptop for almost a month, I got it back in the same condition that I sent it. I checked the drive and found nothing wrong with it, but eventually replaced it with a spare I had, yet the problems haven't gone away.http://atomicferret.blogspot.com/2 [...] t-buy.html[/citation]

Download and run ATiTool and Prime95 and run both for a few hours and see what you find - enough of that (day or two) will more then likely destroy the unit and force them to do some sort of warranty (by law if you bought it legit etc) if you wish, or atleast the diag will give you a better idea as to whats going on.

Interesting, it seems like many people have bad experience with HP Support.

For me though, it was mostly positive. I email them, describe them my problems, and a day or two later they send me back an email with a box arriving at my doorsteps shortly after. The whole process takes about 3 weeks, but everything's free, so I can't really complain.

I've sent my old dv2432ca into support about four times, with the fifth trip being its last - it got replaced by the dv4-1117ca after I dealt with the case managers.

The dv4-1117ca is gonna be going back to Ontario for another round of repairs now though :(. This time, it's the USB ports - all three of them died on me yesterday night. No clue why. Went through 5 reinstalls, Windows 7 and Windows Vista and still no luck :\

But I would still consider buying HP in the future. At least for me, the services were quite nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.