HP Kills off its Windows 7 Version of HP Slate

Status
Not open for further replies.

notty22

Distinguished
Its safe to say that beta testers felt it inferior to the Ipad. That and having to pay for a Windows license is a extra cost for HP. Where as Apple can eat the cost of its o/s, for its own slate.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I'm sure it just wasn't performance and battry life. Who would want to try to remove rootkits, rogue security programs, perform format/reinstalls, product recoveries on a tablet?

From a support standpoint and reputation, a mobile OS just makes more sense for the average user and I'm sure Apple already knew this or they would have made a full blown OSX tablet.

That being said I wanted one anyway. I'm a geek, not a novice that infects and trashes my stuff. I was planning on using a slate or courier as a small portable car PC I could customize.

eula

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
HP just lost my money. Windows was the selling point for me. HP just wants to get there % of app sales that WEB OS would force people to purchase. With windows people own most there software already.

guantan

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
What's next?

HP bought Palm...WebOS maybe and some different hardware. What I read today was that the Slate was to power hungry with it's hardware needed for W7. Hopefully they still come out sometime. I would love to have a tablet but will never use any Apple products again.

jokemeister

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I think eula has hit the nail on the head. Think about the economics of inkjet printers. The money isn't in the printer, it's in the consumables, ie. apps for the tablet in this case. Win 7 would mean HP has to make money on the hardware which would price it out of competition against the iPad based on the headline price, but people forget that the cost of ownership is not just the initial purchase price + every app is different from your desktop/laptop experience.

jabberwolf

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
"TechCrunch cites a source who has been briefed on the matter who says the company is scrapping the tablet because it's not happy with Windows 7 as an operating system."

So basically citing an un-named source... Where Apple is doing everything possible to sell its iPad and bash any new and MUCH MORE CAPABLE tablets coming this June - IS THAT SUCH A GOOD IDEA??!

G

Users don't want complexity, they want to get a job done. They don't want 4hr battery life, they want a day of usage. They want instant on. Windows has held out because of the number of applications, but for a lot of people the applications are too complex and they can get easy to use ones on an iPhone/iPad or WebOS tablet.

All great news for ARM. Heading to the end of an era for Intel & Microsoft. Microsoft achieved the level of a PC on every desk, but future volume will not be on a desk.

ncr7002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
The Atom is just too slow, expensive and power hungry. Look at netbooks, they are so slow it's pathetic. Jobs is right saying netbooks are not the best at anything. And Microsoft needs to come up with something better if they want a piece of the market. Windows 7 is awesome, but it is simply not acceptable to have antivirus software eating 90% of my cpu on a tablet. The app store business model ensures this doesn't happen with Apple mobile devices. People complaining about why they can't run full blown autocad on an ipad are just not being realistic. Thankfully a minority who has no weight on the actual market.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I love how everyone is like... "yah a full OS would never work." ugh. Hypocrite. iPad ftw. End of story.

Those tablets you want will come eventually but the real money is in the consumer market.

For general users is absolutely true they don't want and need a full OS but a mobile one with beautiful graphics, full of readymade apps, and an app store. And in fact I want a consumer device with its advantages and limitations. I don't want another underpowered full PC no matter how light it is. Whenever the tablets get "powerful enough" then I may change my mind.

Bad news for me with HP, I had an eye on their tablet. With this Palm acquisition it may get more complicated, but they should know better. This will push their tablet a year away and maybe more but they better do it right and quite possibly a tablet option for power users and more corporate oriented.

Right now the iPad becomes my first option but I am not even convinced I need or want a tablet as they are right now. This is not a priority for me at all so I am going to wait at least to the end of the year and see how it goes.

G

To those Apple haters and defended their beloved Slate, do you have anything else to say? iPad is the best mobile platform PERIOD. How embarrassing for HP. Did I hear the "full web" or "iPad Killer"? Why don't you Apple haters stick with your crappy netbooks? You are not worthy to have an iPad.

haunted one

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
^ (at usc234)

I don't think it's embarrassing for HP at all. They decided to modify their designs rather than roll out a product with issues and later blame everyone else for any defects/lack of performance.

G

I have an idea that this is only because they are aquiring Palm, and they are going to ditch the Windows 7 for some Palm related Touch device. I for one, would much rather see a Windows 7 device, but I can see why they would ditch paying Microsoft money for the OS when they can use one that they developed in house. (Well they didn't develop it, but since they are buying Palm, why not just say they did, LOL!) Plus, they Palm touch device may be a better device anyway, and maybe they can roll those cost savings to the customer. I am betting that this is why they are not getting rid of the Android device, because they don't have to pay Google anything for the OS... Anyone think this may be true?

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]Those tablets you want will come eventually but the real money is in the consumer market..[/citation]

Well... those tablets have been here for years and they do work well w/ Full OS.... as long as you are willing to spend $1.5k-$4k to get one.

Regarding to HP's move. Smart! As long as the slate's CPU is still Atom or ARM, I will always prefer Android Slate way over Win7 slate. Even Win mobile 7 and WebOS will perform much better than full Win7.

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
I was going to buy the slate,if not window7, put android on it. It will have the advantage of flash, usb and other laptop feature.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]notty22[/nom]Where as Apple can eat the cost of its o/s, for its own slate.[/citation]
Apple eating cost? That one is funny.

As for the tablet PC, it seems like the closest anyone is going to get is using one of Lenovo's hybrid models. But it makes sense, I can't really see using Windows for any productivity without a keyboard.

Let's hope HP makes good use of webOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.