Question HP laptop 15-dw3000 series, want to add 16 GB in free slot. It has 8 GB. Compatibility?

mrpete2

Honorable
Aug 9, 2017
The laptop is an HP 15-dw3363st aka 4Z3A9UA#ABA.

https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c08015536

The CPU is an Intel Core i3-1125G4. The whole thing functions OK, but it’s not a speed deamon. I accept that.

I currently have an 8 GB Samsung M471A1K43EB1-CWE SODIMM in the laptop. I have a free RAM slot and would like to add a 16GB Samsung M471A2G43AB2-CWE SODIMM. I’m OK with the speed of the RAM.

The Samsung website gives the characteristics of the 2 SODIMMs as:

M471A1K43EB1-CWE
DDR4 SODIMM
Density 8 GB
Rank x Organization 1R x 8
Speed 3200 Mbps
Voltage 1.2 V
Number of Pins 260
Component Composition (1G x 8) x 8

M471A2G43AB2-CWE
DDR4 SODIMM
Density 16 GB
Rank x Organization 1R x 8
Speed 3200 Mbps
Voltage 1.2 V
Number of Pins 260
Component Composition (2G x 8) x 8

They are both 1Rx8. The one I have has 1 gigabit chips. The one I want to add has 2 gigabit chips.

I don’t particularly need faster RAM. I would like a lot more RAM. I realize that when RAM usage is above 16 GB that the RAM access will be “unbalanced.” More will be going on on 1 of the 2 channels than the other. That’s OK (but not optimal).

THE QUESTION: Will these 2 SODIMMs “play nice” with each other and with the CPU?

Thank you!

Lutfij

Titan
THE QUESTION: Will these 2 SODIMMs “play nice” with each other and with the CPU?
Answer; You can try it out, the end result could be that they work or they wont. you won't know until you've tried it.

What we do suggest is that you look into a dual channel ram kit so you've got 2 sticks of ram matched from the factory and is sold as a kit. I actually used your SKU and P/N to locate the manual/reading material for the laptop, sadly the info seems to be backdated and not in line with the 11th Gen of Intel's processor equipped with an iGPU. Your processor will work with 64GB's of ram at best but HP and Dell tend to halve that when on a laptop to keep their end of the stick free of any blame.

What you could do is make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS version before you drop in the other stick of ram into your slot. See how it goes from there.