orange ones light up. The printer is then unresponsive until I
powercycle it.

Longer description: with the left side panel removed, there are 5
LEDs on the top, and one on the bottom-front-left (near the IR port).
When I turn the printer on, they all blink on, then the top 5 go in
sequence twice. Finally, the first green (identified with a '1' on the
metal brace above the SIMM slots, has a rounded-U icon) is solid. If I
hold down the purple button to get a demo (the button right of LED
#1), then the first LED blinks for a few seconds, the motor starts to
whir, then it goes into this failure state. At this point, LEDs 2 thru
5 are solid, and only the power button "fixes" it. LED 2 is green, and
has an icon with a piece of paper and a down-arrow. LED 3 is orange,
and is Paper Source 2. LED 4 is orange and paper source 1. LED 5 is
orange, and is the jam icon.

Any suggestions on how to interpret these lights? [I tried google,
and it mainly mentioned numeric failure codes, with values too high to
be binary-interpretations of bits 2..5 on.] Any suggestions on how to
address this? Is this something that would require a trained
technician? And, if so, any recommendations on repair shops near
Santa Monica, CA? Or, are there some good websites I've missed if this
can be manually addressed by someone capable of self-assembling a PC?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Nathan Mates
--
<*> Nathan Mates - personal webpage http://www.visi.com/~nathan/
# Programmer at Pandemic Studios -- http://www.pandemicstudios.com/

On 20-Apr-2005, nathan@visi.com (Nathan Mates) wrote:

> Any suggestions on how to interpret these lights? [I tried google,
> and it mainly mentioned numeric failure codes

Maybe the fuser isn't getting hot. You need some way of seeing the
lamp, should come on for about 20 secs at power up, then for a few
secs per minute. There are a few websites with the HP take apart
manuals, with basic schematics, in PDF format. If the fuser isn't
heating, component level diagnosis isn't too difficult, usually there
is an isolating opto-coupler driving a power triac (a solid state
relay) in the lamp circuit. There is a thermistor in the fuser assy,
and a few sensors forming a protection system. You focus on
whether the around 10mA drive to the opto-coupler is there.

dani

ato_zee@hotmail.com wrote:
> On 20-Apr-2005, nathan@visi.com (Nathan Mates) wrote:
>
> > Any suggestions on how to interpret these lights? [I tried
google,
> > and it mainly mentioned numeric failure codes
>
> Maybe the fuser isn't getting hot. You need some way of seeing the
> lamp, should come on for about 20 secs at power up, then for a few
> secs per minute. There are a few websites with the HP take apart
> manuals, with basic schematics, in PDF format. If the fuser isn't
> heating, component level diagnosis isn't too difficult, usually there
> is an isolating opto-coupler driving a power triac (a solid state
> relay) in the lamp circuit. There is a thermistor in the fuser assy,
> and a few sensors forming a protection system. You focus on
> whether the around 10mA drive to the opto-coupler is there.

It would be a bit difficult to see the fuser light up since there is no
light in it. It's instant-on ceramic heater technology. Good bit of
razzle dazzle with the techno speak. A non-tech would be totally fooled
by it.

What the heck are you doing on this ng? Most of the people responding
here (like Nathan) aren't techs, they just happen to own a printer,
read a lot of posts, but have no clue how they work. They think they
are helping, but they'll cost you money in the long run. I can't
believe you were on Google and didn't see http://fixyourownprinter.com
Real techs there and a searchable data base with close to 100,000 posts
on everything printer related. Pop in your model number in the box on
the main page and you'll find your answer in minutes. Need a part or a
video to show how to install it, you can get one there as well. Service
manuals are also available for free download.

digitallyhere

Honorable
you need to provide the second light patturn by pressing the GO and RESET buttons together.
in this the top red light is referred as "first".
if the top light is on only: then its the fuser,
if the second or third: its the motor and can be fan
if any of these combos: first and fourth, first second third, first second fourth: its the internal ram
if all blank "video dma", if first third fourth its the ram controller: replace the main board