HP Launching 'Hurricane' Tablet Running Palm's OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
How about they freak everyone out and release a tablet that dual-boots Android and WebOS or just lets you choose at first boot. Put 64GB of flash memory in it, and market two SKUs: with 3g and without. $499 and $599 and be done with it.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
WebOS is the best mobile operating system. It's just sad that Palm wouldn't license the OS.

Android still has a lot to catch up to WebOS.

But just how many devices will have WebOS? Android wins.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I'd like to see Win7 and WebOS dual boot. Win7 isn't really good for a slate style tablet. I have a thinkpad x61t, and I still feel finger inputs for Win7 are crummy at best. It is excellent with a digitizer for taking class notes.

G

HP isn't very good at thinking. They had the choice between an also-ran OS that destroyed the company that created it and a free, open source OS that's on the verge of market dominance. Oh, and the first one cost a billion dollars and the second one is free.

Why in the WORLD would they choose WebOS over Android? HP has people working on Debian, so I don't think it's like they're hostile to open source...

industrial_zman

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Where is all this negativity coming from people? HP is a HUGE supporter of open source software. Goto http://www.kernel.org and you will see HP is a proud sponsor of the Linux Kernel. The WebOS platform is another Linux distro created by Palm. The fact they want to show off their new acquisitions off so soon maybe a bit premature, however it shows that they are not planning on letting the IP just set on the shelf collecting dust. WebOS as well as Android (or ChromeOS) both show promise of being ported to platforms and formats to ditch the concepts of what we know as a modern operating system.

For the commenter who blames the WebOS for the downfall of Palm, this isn't true. WebOS was Palm's best chance of surviving. The lack of new and innovative products in many years is Palm's undoing. Sitting on IP like BeOS instead of using it, is Palm's undoing. Not keeping up with the Jones (aka RIM, Windows Mobile, Linux, ect) is Palm's undoing. WebOS was a great idea, just a little late to the market to compete.

Most likely you will NEVER see a version of the "Hurricane" with Windows 7. From my grapevine, the "Hurricane" platform will be ARM based to compete with MSI and Asus's offerings of tablets. There was talk in the shop about another netbook concept similar to the TX1200 and TM12 series notebooks running the latest Atoms with Optimus coming from HP.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
All three are good operating systems, Windows 7 is more compatible with desktop applications, Android has a VERY fast growing market and Palm's WebOS should do okay if they market enough devices, but to me there are just too many choices to make and so many devices to buy, making a choice is hard to do.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Don't think I could say which I like since I've never used WebOS, but android is the best I've used on a phone yet (other than the full linux phones that were out a few years ago).

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Actually Id more rather like to see ubuntu netbook remix in a tablet. Its the perfect OS for netbooks. And a tablet wouldnt be much different from a netbook. UNR is just cool.

But out of the 2 OSs at subject, I like them both the same.

G

I like them both. I had a Palm Pre and loved the WebOS, sadly the Pre hardware was shoddy and I eventually switched to an HTC running Android/SenseUI. They are both very versatile. I love the multi-program running ability of WebOS, yet I also like the multiple screen workability of Android. I could honestly go either way, and if HP makes a piece of reliable hardware I would certainly pick up one over the iPad *snicker*.

DaJebus

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Don't judge WebOS based on the Pre or Pixi devices. WebOS I felt when using the Pre was a great OS that was smooth, fast, reliable. The device was the issue. If I could get a "tablet" style computer for $100 minimum less than an iPad at the different capacities and running WiMax? Count me in!

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Why WebOS over Android?

Perhaps because we are already seeing a backlash against Google for spying.

Perhaps because HP wanted an in house OS that was not subject to the whims of Google or even MS.

Perhaps because HP recognizes that in order to go head to head with Apple they would need complete control instead of a generic, me too, one size fits all solution.

Perhaps because HP has plans that go way beyond just the slate.

G

Been through Iphone and 3 variations of Android Phones, I now have a Pre Plus and it's the KEEPER!!

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Since I have an Android based HTC Magic, I would prefer an Android based Hurricane - maybe they could call it Tornado, to differentiate. Just don't sell it to people who live in a trailer park, as it could flatten the whole area.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]teemochs[/nom]Been through Iphone and 3 variations of Android Phones, I now have a Pre Plus and it's the KEEPER!![/citation]
I would have bought one if it had a bigger screen, and if the keys slide out to the side of the phone, for more comfortable typing.

kleinmeister

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
WebOS is definitely the jewel in HP's acquisition of Palm. Having compared an Android phone (HTC Hero) and the Palm Pre, I definitely prefer the Pre with WebOS. It's gesture-style interface is very intuitive, and its card-based application management is very easy to use and get used to.

Android isn't bad, but WebOS seems much more polished and responsive.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I want to see this HP tablet this year but I think it wont happen, they will be sending messages like this one to keep people salivating and willing to wait, expectations, good and why not. 6 month for a total developing cycle after the merge? Did they already started this, are they coming with a full featured and tested winner? Later they will push the release for early next year, they already canceled one tablet and what will stop them if they are not ready.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
WebOS or Android, hmm...
I will give my vote to whichever can allow me to:-
1) Install my printer
2) Allow me to burn to/read from an external DVD
3) Playback any of my existing video or music collection

Status
Not open for further replies.