HP May Have Nuked its Android Tablet Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Hmmm, HP to scrap the Android tablet? I would have bought one.
Sure if the Win 7 tablet was equally cheap and equally fast I would buy instead! What gives?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Never mind, was always likely I sould get a Samsung or a Sony tablet for Windows 7 anyway, pretty much guaranteed it will be slim and sexy as the iPad but waaaaay more functional

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
This is probably because Android doesn't run reliably on x86 hardware yet. Intel's highly experimental x86 Android port is very buggy in its current state compared to the standard version designed for the ARM platform. It's just easier to build a tablet based on the desktop Windows 7 OS instead of delaying the tablet by waiting for an experimental OS like x86 Android to become available in stable form.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
seeing as they now own an os that would be competeing with android and win7 mobile its not really surprising that they'd want to get their os out there asap then fill in the ranks wit the competing os on thier own hardware

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
The good thing with HP is they are hedging their bets. If the webOS thing falls flat on it's face they will already have a Windows 7 version to replace it using all the same hardware, same thing for Android tablets.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if OS free tablets come to market and you install your own, the same way you can put Linux on a PC.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Wouldn't surprise me in the least if OS free tablets come to market and you install your own, the same way you can put Linux on a PC.[/citation]

Whether HP planned it or not, it does look like they are well positioned to enter the multi-touch tablet market from almost any angle. I doubt we'll see an OS free tablet from anyone though, that would have super limited appeal. Why put any money into marketing and manufacturing something that less than 1% of the market would even blink an eye at and just steal sales from the rest of your line?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]wildwell[/nom]Whether HP planned it or not, it does look like they are well positioned to enter the multi-touch tablet market from almost any angle. I doubt we'll see an OS free tablet from anyone though, that would have super limited appeal. Why put any money into marketing and manufacturing something that less than 1% of the market would even blink an eye at and just steal sales from the rest of your line?[/citation]
You could say that a Windows tablet is the base for a universal one. As long as you have the ability to reinstall the OS there will always be someone who partitions the drive and pops Linux on it, so webOS and Android wont be far behind.

kayvonjoon

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]NapoleonDK[/nom]I lost the Crunchpad, and now the Slate? Damn, I guess no one loves Android... *walks off dejectedly*[/citation]
Developers don't like it cause Android is the new Mac OSX. They don't want to make a god out of Android just like apple did a few years back.
but still android FTW!

Status
Not open for further replies.