Question HP Network Printer won't print through OpenVPN connection.

May 9, 2024
Hello,

I have configured OpenVPN server on a TP-Link AX23 Router (192.168.2.1) which is behind the ISP provided router.

The VPN connection can be established and it works fine. On the client side I use OpenVPN client for Windows.

I have 3 printers which all prints fine on the Local network (192.168.2.0) . But when I sent prints from the remote VPN client through the OpenVPN connection, 2 printers print and 1 printer doesn’t.

The printer which prints through the OpenVPN connection are on Print Servers having IPs 192.168.2.61 & 62. The one that doesn’t print over OpenVPN is HP LaserJet Pro MFP M126nw printer having IP 192.168.2.64. This printer works fine on Local network but as its doesn’t print through OpenVPN connection. I can ping 192.168.2.64 from remote VPN Client computer through OpenVPN connection.

What can I do to make this HP LaserJet Pro MFP M126nw printer print through the OpenVPN connection?

Regards.

Are the printers all the same model number. Are there any different settings.

Maybe the printer is using another method of sending data between the pc and the printer that is not based on IP. VPN only passes IP protocols. This is not real common anymore.

If you can ping the printer then your networking is fine. Maybe load wireshark and watch the print session both on the vpn and local.
It could also be something like MTU size but generally applications figure that out. The vpn is adding 24 bytes to every packet so there is less room for data.

Can you tell if the router assigns your vpn machine a different mac address or is it using the routers mac. Maybe the printer is confused by something like this.

Reactions: lantis3