[SOLVED] HP Omen Obelisk Not Sleeping

May 20, 2020
Hey guys,

I have an HP Omen Obelisk i7-9700K 3.6GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 running Windows 10 and the problem occurs when I try to put it to sleep. I would say 80–90% of the time it happens where the monitor turns black but not off, my Razer gaming keyboard and mouse maintain their pretty spectrum of colors, and the fan stays on at full RPMs. Nothing I can do will interrupt the process: I can't press a key, CTRL + ALT + DELETE doesn't work; in fact the only thing I can do is hold the power button down. I'm not just worried about powering off after every single session. I paid a lot of money for this and I want it to work properly.

On the VERY RARE occasion, it sleeps as one would expect: fan stops, peripherals turn off, monitor switches off. Then, if I move click my mouse or press a key the CPU loads up. Again, I only achieve this maybe 1 in 10 times.

I have tried a few things:

1. Switched off Hibernate
  2. Switched off Fast Load (or whatever it's called)
  3. Set my Hard Drive to Never
  4. I've also tried having the machine sleep naturally by changing the timer on the Power Settings

I'm pretty sure that this occurs every time I've been playing PUBG. Maybe it's an overheating thing? But that could be just that I always finish my gaming sessions playing PUBG.

Any help would be super appreciated. I've been racking my brain with this.

Solution
Was there a newer bios as well?

Maybe that playing with C-states in the bios might help, like disabling C6 and higher states, see if that helps.
May 20, 2020
Just an update to this. I experimented a little more and it doesn't matter what game I play, Sleep still freezes my machine.

I have the issue replicated in front of me right now and indeed the monitor is still on, I HAVE THE BLUE SPINNY ICON OF DEATH on screen, the fan is running at full pelt, and while my mouse and keyboard are indeed still on, they do nothing. The cursor -- which is the blue spinny of death -- won't move either so inputs are completely dead.

I'm going to have to power down for the fiftieth time.

May 20, 2020
You have the latest bios?

Need to say if this pc is still under warranty, and it probably is, that you would be better of by contacting HP support and take it up with them.

Hey Vic, thank you for your response.

I did indeed contact HP Support. They had me recover my BIOS (Win-B after powering up again). My machine was able to function properly for the day, then I tried it this morning again to sleep after I played Total War: Warhammer II and sure enough computer froze again.