HP: Our WebOS Devices Will be Similar to the iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]halodude23[/nom]If it's similar to the Ipad, wtf's the point of making it???[/citation]

They probably don't want Apple to be the only one with a hot item raking in big bucks. A cheaper one with a good interface that leads to an app store they control would probably make some good money if they can pull it off.

With the Android type pads and others coming out, they want a piece of that pie too.

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
My guess is that they just realized that most tech reviewers don't understand the concept of a tablet unless you say iPad. It's sad really...

Hopefully they don't mean they will launch an underpowered tablet that lacks support for the most used technologies of the web ;-)

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I don't see any uses for the ipad, it doesn't have much of a higher resolution screen than a netbook(1024/768 vs 1024/600) its slower, and it doesn't support flash or even have a keyboard, you can even get a lenovo netbook touchscreen and keyboard for less.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]braneman[/nom]I don't see any uses for the ipad, it doesn't have much of a higher resolution screen than a netbook(1024/768 vs 1024/600) its slower, and it doesn't support flash or even have a keyboard, you can even get a lenovo netbook touchscreen and keyboard for less.[/citation]

But what if you wanted a device that wasnt bulky, made of cheep plastic, and had a short battery life. What if you wanted something very light for lightweight browsing, and watching video on.... The Netbook sure wouldnt be the right choice.

You've missed the whole point of why the iPad is successful, and that is MOST consumers (not Tom's readers) want a very simple easy to use device, to surf simple web pages, read their email and watch a show or two, and the iPad is a PERFECT fit for that. This is why Apple is selling millions of them per month, not because Steve Job's is a ninja assassin mind controlling everyone with hypnotic drugs.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
ffs I don't see whats the big idea with tablets, especially the ipad. With ios it can't do anymore than the iphone can, and its too big to be truly portable.

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Because you can easily mount an iPad onto your car dash, and a netbook can't (not easily at least)?

Because you can use the 10 hour battery in a 1.5lb form factor?

Because a netbook is dreadfully slow, and an iPad has a matching CPU/GPU/OS package?

Because multitouch makes sense in a mobile product, than a touch pad and a keyboard? You can use an iPad while walking. Using a netbook while walking is cumbersome.

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]vant[/nom]Because you can easily mount an iPad onto your car dash, and a netbook can't (not easily at least)?Because you can use the 10 hour battery in a 1.5lb form factor?Because a netbook is dreadfully slow, and an iPad has a matching CPU/GPU/OS package?Because multitouch makes sense in a mobile product, than a touch pad and a keyboard? You can use an iPad while walking. Using a netbook while walking is cumbersome.[/citation]
A typical netbook has a superior CPU (such as Atom which is comparable in computing power to Pentium 4). So you cannot call it dreadfully slow. Also netbooks are also light and some have a similar battery life.

nuster100

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
@yyk71200

I think your missing the point. A net-book runs a full-blown desktop OS that is not optimised for it. The OS on the iPad is optimised for the hardware and designed to be responsive, even if its running on what might be perceived to be inferior hardware.

Its the simplicity and ease of use attracts 90% of the users. A tablet with a full desktop OS might appeal to us, but it would just confuse and annoy 95% of normal users who simply want it to work.

nuster100

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
@yyk71200

I think your missing the point. A net-book runs a full-blown desktop OS that is not optimised for it. The OS on the iPad is optimised for the hardware and designed to be responsive, even if its running on what might be perceived to be inferior hardware.

Its the simplicity and ease of use attracts 90% of the users. A tablet with a full desktop OS might appeal to us, but it would just confuse and annoy 95% of normal users who simply want it to work.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
hope it comes soon... and with a phone function. if i could get a 5 or 7 inch version of my palm pre i'd be stoked. upgrade the hardware and i'll be even happier. if the larger models don't have phone function though guess i'll just have to get the dell streak or another large phone when one hits sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.