Jul 20, 2020
Hey,

I noticed that when I play some light games when my GPU usage spikes my CPU clock speed drops which then results in lower fps because the CPU time is a lot bigger. Can this behaviour we optimized (GPU usage drops but CPU clock speed rises, they equal out and thus fps rises) and is this even normal behaviour? Also sometimes my integrated gpu usage spikes for a fraction of a second and that result in visible in-game stutter which sometimes makes the game unplayable, is there a way to fix this too?

Thanks in advance.

Laptop specs:
Intel i7 8565u
Nvidia mx250
8 gb of some random ram
500gb kingston a2000 ssd

Ralston18

Titan
What is the current RAM configuration? For example: 1 x 8GB or 2 x 4GB?

Make and model laptop?

My first thought would be to add more RAM.

However it is worthwhile to take a closer look at what is (or is not) happening with respect to system performance.

Are you using Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system behavior?

What applications are using CPU, GPU, and RAM and to what extent (%).

Anything being launched at startup that does not need to be running?

Perhaps some application is trying to do some background task: updating, backing up, or simply phoning home....

Jul 20, 2020
Hi,

The ram configuration is 1x8GB.

The model is in the title of the thread, HP Pavilion x360 14-dh0031na

I am using Task Manger.

My current idle usage is 5% CPU (Chrome and some windows task e.g. System and Desktop Windows Manager), RAM is at 54% even though chrome is using 376MB, Antimalware Service Executable is using a 100MB and everything else is less than that and GPU is at 3% (integrated, only Chrome and Desktop Windows Manager)

Apps running at startup are AcroTray, Viber, Nextcloud, OneDrive, Adobe GC Invoker Utility, Adobe Updater Startup Utility, Vanguard (required for playing Valorant), Logitech options (for my mouse), Logitech download assistant and Windows security notification icon.

I've also tested this on a fresh installation of windows so I don't think that background tasks are an issue. I tried it on ubuntu as well but couldn't install a lot of games (Minecraft ran better for sure).

I've also tried undervolting my CPU with XTU which helps a little, as well as changing the TDP in XTU but it quickly goes back to the factory setting of 15W.

Thanks for a quick reply!