HP Pavillion 6535 Power Supply

A friend of mine has a HP Pavillion 6535 computer and just recently the
power supply made a lound grinding noise and then made a spark. Now the
system won't power on anymore. I wanted to know where I could get a power
supply replacement for this model computer? Also, I would like to know is
it really worth replacing the power supply or just invest in a new PC?

Thanks,

DMS

Hi,

David Schaible <dmschaible@hotmail.com> wrote:
#A friend of mine has a HP Pavillion 6535 computer and just recently the
#power supply made a lound grinding noise and then made a spark. Now the
#system won't power on anymore. I wanted to know where I could get a power
#supply replacement for this model computer?

Probably. Remove the power supply, measure it carefully. Go to a web
site like newegg.com , that has pictures and lists the power supply
dimensions, see if it matches up.

In the mean time, you might use another power supply to verify that
the PS is indeed the problem. You don't have to bolt it into the case,
you just have to hook it up enough to see if the MB will power-up OK.

#Also, I would like to know is
#it really worth replacing the power supply or just invest in a new PC?

That's a value judgement.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | CIA linked to Iraqi POW mistreatment
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | and national shame-no one surprised

David,

From your description, it is pretty likely that the power supply is toast.
First thing is to test the motherboard using another standard ATX sized power
supply, which are cheap and easy to come by. If your friend is in the vicinity
of Harvard MA (Routes 2 & 495 in Massachusetts), come on by and he/she can have
one for say $5. (Sorry, not worth it for either of us to ship one.) Remove the
old, dead power supply completely from the chassis, then plug the working power
supply into the ATX connector on the motherboard. If the board boots up (but
does not start up Windows), you have verified that the power supply is dead, and
worth replacing, and the motherboard is OK. If the board does not boot up, then
the power supply failure took the motherboard with it, and you are looking at a
more significant investment to get the system running again.

Whether or not the motherboard is also history, then your friend has to place a
value on whatever personal data and added software programs are still on the
hard drive. These include letters, spreadsheets, old email correspondence, tax
returns, etc. Are these worth recovering? Street prices of new name brand
systems remain fairly low, with a new "entry-level" 2.66GHz Dell advertised in
today's papers below $400.

For a replacement power supply, measure the external dimensions of the power
supply and the exact bolt pattern. Some power supplies have 4-bolt mountings
and others only three bolts. Some HP power supplies are standard large ATX
style. Others are smallish.

Also, if the motherboard is history, consider getting another complete HP case
with power supply, motherboard and floppy. A neighbor of mine recently had a
Pavilion bite the dust. I had a complete Pavilion chassis (except for the hard
disk which was dead) here, taken as a trade on a new system I sold another
client. I sold my neighbor the Pavilion chassis, and all he had to do was move
the hard drive from old to newer working chassis. Yes, I also have another
working HP chassis minus the hard drive. I seem to collect these things in my
business. Once again, if you are near Harvard MA, I can make you a sweet deal.
If not, I am reluctant to ship, but can be talked into it... Ben Myers

Ben Myers
Spirit of Performance, Inc.
73 Westcott Road
Harvard, MA 01451