HP Pavillion WON'T Start (NO BIOS Info No Start Up

jma73it

Prominent
May 11, 2017
I just got my stationary HP screwed up.
The computer is an older stationary:
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-030sc

Not sure what went wrong, but I occasionally over the years had problems with that it froze - only like twice a year. It then happened again the other day, and it went on. Then I tried to re-fit the graphics card (as I suspected that was the problem). Also I dust-cleaned inside the cabinet. But things got worse - and now I don't get even bios to show up, there are no beep codes, and also it seems there is no power (no light) via usb to keyboard or mouse. But there is power for all fans, and some other light.

I have not tried to remove the battery yet, but will try.

I would like to know if some can tell me what it indicates (that I see no bios, no light in keyboard/mouse and no beepcodes)?

Also - I do not remember: if I remove all harddrives - can I still come to bios - (if it was working)?

Even the computer is getting older, I am still very satisfied with it! so still hope I can get it started.

Any suggestions are welcome!

jma73it

Prominent
May 11, 2017
I am going to try this - remove card reader:
[just not able to remove cable at the cardreader so far...]

[From another post - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/248331-30-a8m2n-pavillion-a1730n-wont-boot-beeps]
Here's how to fix it once and for all:

1) With the computer power unplugged (duh), open up the case & disconnect the card reader cable at the card reader itself - NOT the end that connects to the motherboard header. Make sure the cable end is not touching any metal components before proceeding to step 2 (another duh).

2) With the cable still disconnected, fire up the computer. The tech support doc says to let it boot into Windows and stay there for about 5 minutes.

3) Shut the computer down and reconnect the cable to the card reader.

4) Turn your computer back on - your memory card reader will work and, most importantly, the computer will no longer hang at POST!

I suspect that when you fire up the computer without the cable connected, the card reader is designed to reset its firmware by grounding out through the case - similar to a CMOS Reset jumper on a motherboard.

jma73it

Prominent
May 11, 2017
Ok, so at tried a few things now:
* removed the battery --> no luck.
* removed PCIe card for usb3 --> no luck
* removed cables to card reader (at motherboard though)
Then I removed graphics card: Now I got the beep codes (2xshort beep and then one long). So maybe my graphicscard is dead?

Beep code info:
2 short beeps and 1 long beep (repeats 5 times):
"Unable to initialize video or video card required but not installed"

At the moment I do not have another card, but I guess next step should be to test with at working graphics card in the computer - and also test the graphics card in another computer if possible.
I will see how to borrow a graphics card ;-)

Anybody who know what to conclude when there is no beepcodes when the graphics card is plugged in, but nothing on the screen?
Also what to conclude from no response (light) in keyboard or mouse?

jma73it

Prominent
May 11, 2017
Just want to add: I must have ruined my graphics card. I tried with another card, and then the computer works. So it was a problem with the graphics card after all.