HP Says It Must Get Back Into Smartphone Biz

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
This will be a challenge for them. Even though they had good critical opinion of their last effort, and those who did use WebOS seemed to like it, they didn't sell that much, which is why they shut it down. For HP now they will have to overcome the perception that they already failed at this once, despite have actually had a reasonably decent product last time around. They're going to have to convince people that despite what happened last time, despite the competitors out there, and despite rejoining this fight when it's already so old, that they deserve a chance. That means doing something hardware and software wise that can really impress people. Not saying they can't do it, but it's going to be really tough.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Android and Web OS are both open source. Make a version of Web OS that can run Android apps. Web OS is the best user experience I have seen on a mobile device.

lascar30

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
Maybe they should make a phone with Android in first start? Then, when WebOS is good enough for mobile, make a phone with it.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
The smartphone market is overcrowded. Apple and Samsung are the only ones making bank (Apple much more than Samsung), and now that Microsoft and Nokia are trying to muscle in, it's going to get even tougher.

HP's been trying to reinvent themselves for the last 10 years, but I doubt smartphones are going to do it for them. Maybe make 3D printers? Or what IBM did (although they lack IBMs gravitas)

jaksun5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
HP touchpad as the Number 2 tablet in the US when it was dumped. It's still better than Android in user experience. Imagine they'd actually run with if for the last year. It was shortsighted and greedy to think they would take on Apple and turn a profit in the first 3 months.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Wonder if their phone will be filled with bloatware like their printer drivers and computers. Hope not that was my biggest grip on HP, they make you jump through hoops to get their stuff working right. Hope I am proved wrong though and they enter the phone business and provide more competition.

dimitrik

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Notes to self:
1. Get back into smartphone biz
2. Win Lotto double jackpot

Actually the above two have about the same chance of success for HP. Sad that the innovator has become the follower, but they have a long way to go before their culture can innovate competitively again.

craig_1000

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
It appears that most people here believe that if you fail once you should just lie down and die. If Apple fail with the iphone5 may be they should give up as well,in fact why are we even bothering to live becasue we will fail eventually, leave it to companies who keep on trying outside of Europe and the USA. The Palm buyout and then failure to launch is not the first time that Compaq/HP ventured into the mobile market. This was a missed opportunity maybe but not the first attempt (HTC made the previous devices for HP/Compaq and they are not doing too bad atm).

samkl

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
HP, welcome to the bloodbath.

I think they have a much better chance at creating a new market niche, perhaps with "glasses" powered by webOS or Android, or something radically different.

Whatever they do has to deliver new "value" to consumers. Maybe very lean and run only web apps, or have an amazing HUD user interface, or machine-brain interface. Imagine an Android or webOS device with cognitive recognition.
-SK

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]More Corporate Lies[/nom]it needs to take advantage of that particular form factor. In many countries, people can't afford to purchase a tablet, laptop or PC[/citation]

You can go to Wal-Mart and pick up a capable HP Laptop for about $300, but HP is targeting the customer that can't afford that? HP isn't going after the crowd that spends $400+ (plus a two-year contract for $100/mo service) for their phones? Either this is true and HP fails for being stupid or it is false and HP fails for yet again misrepresenting their goals.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I agree that an alliance with Microsoft for a windows phone is their best chance at reentering. HP can still leverage muscle in the corporate sector - could take BBerrys remaining market share without too much difficulty.

Taking on Apple/Google/Consumers should be step II - after they have established in friendly territory.

you must really be ignorant if you think HP has only failed once.

go grow a brain :lol:

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]The smartphone market is overcrowded. Apple and Samsung are the only ones making bank (Apple much more than Samsung), and now that Microsoft and Nokia are trying to muscle in, it's going to get even tougher.HP's been trying to reinvent themselves for the last 10 years, but I doubt smartphones are going to do it for them. Maybe make 3D printers? Or what IBM did (although they lack IBMs gravitas)[/citation]

Apple and Samsung are making bank on toys which arent meant for businesses or enterprise,HP is known to make real buisiness phones outside of RIM.If HP made a Windows phone 8 device with a physical keyboard(vertical obviously) I would be very inclined to buy it.

please stop with the business smartphone crap. if business smartphones were still relevant RIM wouldn't be near death right now

Status
Not open for further replies.