HP Says Surface Tablet is Slow, A Little ''Kludgey''

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, HP, less chat, more splat!
AFAIK, your hardware sucks big time, from laptops to desktops and even printers, where you used to rule.
"Thanks" for killing WebOS and the Touchpad, BTW. You are dead to me.

G

Yeah, HP screwed me on the ipaq GPS as well. I still have the great HP 48 calc from the college days, but other than that i would't purchase another HP

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
The Printer and ink company is butt hurt that their software partner is outdoing them in hardware. The Surface is quick and responsive and of solid high quality construction. Wish I could say the same about HPs crappy stiff cheapo plastic laptops, desktops and printers.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
After replacing countless power supplies over the years in HP computers, I have this aggravating sizzle sound and a blinking green led image in my mind every time someone mentions them. Please focus on printers and get out of the rest of it.

gravewax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
only slow and a little Kludgy? So is this an admission from HP that it is superior to anything they are capable of creating?

G

If PC and tablet makers are so pissed at M$. then It is time for them to make PCs that come with a Type 1 hyporvisor installed, and let the user install their OS or OSs of choice! The days of PCs that are chained to one brand of OS should be over! If a PC maker, Apple or M$, brands and builds their own hardware fine, but on third party hardware any attempt at forcing an OS on users, should be an antitrust violation! If M$ wants to force third party PC makers to use windows 8, then PC makers should have the option of making PC with a Type 1 Hyporvisor that can host multible OSs at one time, with the Hyporvisor in controll of the PC's hardware and drivers!

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]TypeOneToRuleThemAll[/nom]If PC and tablet makers are so pissed at M$. then It is time for them to make PCs that come with a Type 1 hyporvisor installed, and let the user install their OS or OSs of choice! The days of PCs that are chained to one brand of OS should be over! If a PC maker, Apple or M$, brands and builds their own hardware fine, but on third party hardware any attempt at forcing an OS on users, should be an antitrust violation! If M$ wants to force third party PC makers to use windows 8, then PC makers should have the option of making PC with a Type 1 Hyporvisor that can host multible OSs at one time, with the Hyporvisor in controll of the PC's hardware and drivers![/citation]

What options are there for PCs? Apple won't make their OS for anything other than Apple computers (mind you, you can put Windows on a Mac). Linux, whether you like it or not, isn't sold on a disc meaning you need an existing OS or another computer, to download Linux first. Furthermore, Linux isn't exactly easy for inexperienced users. For all the faults that can be found with MSFT, Windows is the only mainstream OS solution. Anyone who is sophisticated enough to use Linux would just as easily be able to reformat their drive and do a clean install of a burned Linux distro. For the mass market they'd just be saving a little on Windows upfront and spending more on the actual full/OEM version when they have to buy it.

gromit73

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
The trend seems to be those that produce quality alternatives to surface (Lenovo, Asus, Samsung) all see surface as just another competitor, but those companies that only produce garbage (Acer, HP) do their utmost to denigrate the surface, I guess fear drives these companies as they know they are not capable of competing.

kellybean

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
When I read this article on Tom's "Microsoft Sued For 32GB Surface Model Offering 16GB Free" and MS needs 16Gb for their new OS and recover area it tells me it is bloated like all their OS's have been. So "A Little ''Kludgey'' is probably correct and HP's Todd Bradley is probably being nice too.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Actually it is, but it's not sitting on Walmart shelves.[/citation]

That's part of my point. Linux isn't something the average PC user is going to be able to find unless it's at a Wal-Mart or Newegg. You can head over to Amazon and search "Linux" and you come back with thousands of hits and unless you know what your'e doing you'll be lost. Again, nothing against Linux, but it's not a simple OS to use and if people think going from Win 7 interface to Win 8 interface is a tall hill to climb, Linux would be like heading to Mars for them. Nowadays if you're in your twenties, you've likely been using one ecosystem since you were a kid, and don't have the time or will to learn a new one. The idea of selling OS free systems is only gonna work for a relatively small part of the PC market, and thereby hurt sales. Given those options, PC makers would sooner stick with furnishing their systems with the latest Windows OS than risk the loss of sales catering to the smaller segment that would actually bother switching to Linux.

G

DRosencraft, The Type 1 hypervisor, Will allow the PC to run 1 or More OSs! the Hardware drivers are running under the Hypervisor, and do not have to be re-written or controled by any OS! The hardware of the PC is totally abstracted from the OS by the virtural machine, the OS thinks it has it is running the PC, but it is running a virturalized PC, and the OS is none the wiser! If the user wants windows, the the user can install windows on a single VM under controll of the Type 1 hyporvisor, and use windows!
If another user of the same computer likes Linux, or chrome, or etc. then that user can create a another VM and install linux, or chrome, or etc. on the same computer! The PC can have as many VMs as the resources allow! The great thing about the Type 1 hyporvisor is that the PC with it installed is OS neutral, this is done using the virtualization instructions built into all X86, ARM, etc CPU/APUs! The type 1 hyporvisor turns a PC from a windows PC to a Universal PC, for any OS that the user can Install on the Type 1 hyporvisors VMs! In the future PCs will come with a Type 1 hyporvisor installed, and the user can request it come with what ever OS, pre-installed by the OEM on that computers VM, a VM created and under the complete control of a Type 1 hyporvisor! DRosencraft, why just have windows, when you can run windows, and any other avilable OS at the same time, and have the best of both worlds, and not be chained to any one!

G

DRosencraft, Mcrosoft will still sale Windows to OEMs who build PCs with type 1 hyporvisors installed, and Microsoft will still offer volume discounts to these very OEMs! If Microsoft even trys to penilize OEMs that sell PCs with Type 1 hypervisors on their PCs, the department of justice antitrust division, would be taking M$ to court! Any attempt to dictate to OEMs what Virtural Machine environments the OEMs can and can not run by any software company, not in direct ownership of the OEM, will not be allowed! This would be the same thing as the browser wars of past! M$ can not stop the FUTURE!

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]FreedomOFChioce[/nom]DRosencraft, The Type 1 hypervisor, Will allow the PC to run 1 or More OSs...[/citation]

I understand how a VM works. My point is that for the majority of end users it doesn't make sense because they will be buying Windows anyway. You can VM just about all OSs out there right now if you buy the right hardware. You can buy a Mac and VM Windows and Linux. You can buy a Chromebook and VM Windows and Linux. You can't (legally) build a Windows machine and VM OSX or Chrome OS to it because the terms for OSX and Chrome OS don't allow for it to be on other machines. Dual-boot Windows and Linux and you're set. You're golden.

Even if you could, get the type of uniform agreement across the PC market - where all PCs can have any OS installed on them - for probably 85%+ of the average PC user that is all too much of a hassle to deal with and they will simply have go out and pay for a full version of whatever Windows system is out there. Or they will buy OSX, which will cost around the same as Windows because the price right now is subsidized by the hardware and has less built in compatibility for varying hardware setups. In this scenario the best case outcome - again considering that VM software and Linux are readily available right now - is that OSX (possibly Chrome OS) builds out more market share, stealing it from MSFT, while losing part of its hardware market share.

G

DRosencraft, as much as you try to state otherwise, Type 1 Hyporvisors will Rule!

G

The US antitrust courts will require OS choice, and the type 1 hypervisor will make it so, no more back room arm twisting by M$ towards hardware makers! The Type 1 hypervisor will set hardware FREE!
Once people are empowered by the Type 1 hypervisor, they will never have to uninstall one OS to Install another, no more dual boot pains either, or hardware driver Hell! This is one WIN against the M$ WINdows Windows monopoly!

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Hmm if he says this about MS Surface I wonder what he opinion would be of his companies products.

I know I find HP products lacking, cheap feeling, slow, unresponsive, overpriced, and filled with crapware from anything from their computers to even drivers which can slow down a high end overclocked behemoth you call a computer.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Mind your own business, Todd. :)

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=HPQ+Interactive#symbol=hpq;range=6m;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
HP... why why why? Why do you let people like Mr. Bradley make asinine statements like that?
Didn't you learn anything from Leo? HP needs one voice, one direction and trash talking surface.. is not it?

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]Hmm if he says this about MS Surface I wonder what he opinion would be of his companies products.I know I find HP products lacking, cheap feeling, slow, unresponsive, overpriced, and filled with crapware from anything from their computers to even drivers which can slow down a high end overclocked behemoth you call a computer.[/citation]

I have an HP notebook and it is pretty fast and I like it very much. It serves me now for 2 years well. :) The only bad thing about it is: MS Windows! F..k!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.