How To HP Stream 14 users, 32GB eMMC got you down? Break out and Upgrade from E-Waste to Useful !

Jun 18, 2024
The following is intended to help, and should apply to most models. Mainly 32GB eMMC with 4GB of RAM (Stock Set-Up). Yes you can Upgrade a 64GB Model as well, but be warned I have not done this on a 64GB Model as of Yet, your Upgrade is far less complex for install as I am told. I may also add Stream 11 Upgrade later if I find one in good condition. Also please become familiar with your Model of HP Stream, search for your Models Online Service Manual so you will be aware of all parts in your Laptop. Watch a few YouTube Videos on how to best open your Laptop up, I am not responsible for any damage done, you assume all risk as I did with my Laptop. As always remain calm, go slow, Do not rush and practice best safety procedures like avoiding static charges that can damage hardware!!!! Also BEFORE you start back up any and all IMPORTANT DATA as this will wipe your eMMC!!!!!

As example my 2017 HP Stream 14 AX030CA came Standard 32GB eMMC, 4GB DDR3L 1600 MHz RAM, 1366 x 768 14" TN LCD Display, yours will be have slight differences, but these are the specs you will need to know for your Model.

Start with RAM as most HP Streams come with 4GB of RAM Standard, if you have an older model with 2GB this is not for you as your RAM is soldered to the board and can not be changed. This is where your Online Service Manual and specs will inform your Upgrade options. Shop at what ever shopping site or store you use to find the best price for upgrade, and a no name brad is ok for this budget friendly upgrade. 8GB of RAM is MAX supported by most of the Celeron CPUs used in a Stream. Again video on YouTube can help learn how to change the RAM out. This is a picture of what you will change.

large

Adding an NVME SSD to your HP Stream 14
This is where you will need to know at least a little about computer hardware, but again YouTube video is available that shows you all you need to know to be a success!!!
You will start by removing your WIFI/BT M.2 Module as your new SSD requires this port, WIFI and Bluetooth will be done with a Low Profile USB Dongle (these are dirt cheep now).

In it's place you will add a M.2 (NGFF) NVME SSD to M2 A/E Key WiFi Port. This Adapter plugs into your WIFI Port and changes the Key to accept an NVME SSD that will now be your Boot Drive. Again buy where you prefer Amazon, ebay, AliExpress, or where you can find your best price.
s-l400.jpg

As to what SSD to get again this is up to what you feel best fits your needs, also what best fits you budget, I went with a Patriot P310 480GB NVME SSD as it was on sale at the time. You can go 64GB to 1TB. The 1 bit of information I will add is this adapter only gives you access to 1 lane of PCIe , so you will not use the full speed on the drive but you will see and notice how much faster programs and apps load and open. You will notice the HP Streams Bottleneck all along was the eMMC not the CPU. Again YouTube video is your friend on installing Hardware. Installing an SSD will do for both ends of cable as they attach the same way.

Now the Hardest Part Windows 10 install and getting around the BIOS

You will need 2 USB Thumb drives made and ready to go before you ever start. 1 with a Bootable Windows 10 Install made with Windows Media Creation Tool, or Rufus. The other is going to be made Bootable with a Boot Management Utility called Duet with rEFInd. As the HP Stream does not support NVME drive natively the BIOS will complain "No Boot Device Installed"
boot-device-not-found.jpg

Duet with rEFInd will act as boot Manager and provide drivers to allow for the install of Windows 10 to an NVME SSD. It will also need to take a home on the eMMC after install to continue to provide boot support, as the HP Stream stock BIOS only wishes to boot from eMMC. I am going to link to a YouTube video that handles the creation of a Bootable USB using Duet with rEFInd and how to install Windows 10 to an NVME SSD in an HP Stream. The only one that walks you trough Start to finish. I will say now I am sorry it is boring and long, but you can scrub through to avoid my dumb voice and rambling. All the info is there and you see my HP Stream go from fully wiped to installed and booting.

Windows 10 Install to NVME SSD on HP Stream 14

The Last Upgrade (Optional but very worth doing)...
Change from 14" 1366 x 768 TN LCD Panel to a 14" 1920 x 1080 IPS LCD Panel

This is one where you will need to compare Pictures of your models display with available Panels, there is a good How To on this board, but this is geared to the HP Stream 14.
You will need to know what Pin count your model uses, it's size ( 14.0 inch), it's bracket attachment ( 4 screw, 2 top 2 bottom), pin connector location. If all match this will work.
On a Gut feeling I went to laptop panels dot com and matched a 1080 HP Stream Panel to my Model, Same Size, same attachment, same pin count (30 pin), same connector location, and bought it.
It fit install was easy, and right off the bat viewing angles were better, viewing off axis did not make screen look like a negative, text and pictures were clearer and sharper !!!

Pictures of Install

As always if you can find it at a better price shop there !!!! However for information on the panel I got ( second on list and you will note it is not for my model but works perfect)

HP STREAM 14-CB1XX Replacement LCD

So final List of Full Specs of Upgraded HP Stream 14

Also what to expect from the addition of SSD to HP Stream 14 over the eMMC

eMMC (basically an SD Card soldered to motherboard)

NVME SSD

All in this full Upgrade cost me less then $200 CDN ( LESS in US ), and I would say overall well worth it to give my 2017 Stream life for a few more years!!

Jun 18, 2024
What specific make/model drive did you use for this?

Your CrystalDiskMark result looks more like a SATA M.2 drive vs NVMe.

I used Patriot P310 480GB Internal SSD - NVMe PCIe M.2 Gen3 x 4, I did go a little overboard but it was on sale when I bought it.

As to the numbers in Crystal disk mark, the Adapter used only gives you 1 lane of PCIe, so the full speed of the drive is not available. Again I went overboard on Storage size due to price, any drive M.2 64GB and up will work, but due to adapter it will also only have access to 1 lane of PCIe.

If you have spent any time with an HP Stream waiting for apps and programs to load and open, you will notice right away how much quicker things pop up.

USAFRet

Titan
I used Patriot P310 480GB Internal SSD - NVMe PCIe M.2 Gen3 x 4, I did go a little overboard but it was on sale when I bought it.

As to the numbers in Crystal disk mark, the Adapter used only gives you 1 lane of PCIe, so the full speed of the drive is not available. Again I went overboard on Storage size due to price, any drive M.2 64GB and up will work, but due to adapter it will also only have access to 1 lane of PCIe.

If you have spent any time with an HP Stream waiting for apps and programs to load and open, you will notice right away how much quicker things pop up.
OK.
So yeah, just about SATA III SSD performance.

I sort of wanted a Stream when they were a thing, but not enough to bother trying to get one.

Jun 18, 2024
OK.
So yeah, just about SATA III SSD performance.

I sort of wanted a Stream when they were a thing, but not enough to bother trying to get one.
I guess, I never even looked at SATA as the motherboard has nothing available to support SATA drives. I am not sure a SATA drive would fit into a Stream ( at least my model), The NVME SSD tucks nicely into the available space.

Jun 18, 2024
There are SATA SSDs in M.2 format.
Same size and shape as what you have. Slightly different pinout.
I will look into it if and when I attempt the HP Stream 11 Upgrade. I have some searches on ebay, as I am looking for low cost, good condition, still working. After I finish my Last mod on the HP Stream 14 ( fully over the top and not needed in any way), making the HP logo glow blue to match the body. Changing the LCD panel I noticed it's backing is thin white paper that allows a good deal of light leakage ( the inside is lined with shiny thin foil to reflect light back I guess), that inspired me. Have a new logo cast in resin to allow light through covered in a photography colored gel ( normally used to change the color of a fill light), this way as the screen brightens and dims the logo will glow with it.