HP Surpasses Apple in PC Sales Thanks to iPad Shipment Dip

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintjimmy

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
iPads really SHOULD NOT be counted as PCs. Yes, they're technically computers, but they're far from being in the same realm as desktops and laptops.

A PC is a computer running Windows. Last I checked, Apple does not sell ANY PCs because they don't sell computers running Windows. They sell Mac desktops, Mac notebooks, iPads, iPhones, iPods, etc., but none of these are PCs. HP, on the other hand, sells many PCs, so all they had to do to beat Apple in the amount of PCs shipped is sell a single PC.

kohvipaus

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Apple has never sold more "PC's" then any other company out there. First because of the reason what blazorthon said, Apple does not sell a single PC.

Secondly, who the duck is so stupid to count tablets as PC's? Give me a break.

[citation][nom]kohvipaus[/nom]Apple has never sold more "PC's" then any other company out there. First because of the reason what blazorthon said, Apple does not sell a single PC.Secondly, who the duck is so stupid to count tablets as PC's? Give me a break.[/citation]

Well, technically, some tablets exist that run Windows and can correctly be called a PC because they have a laptop X86 CPU in them. They're a little pricey and heavy, but they are tablets.

I also have to wonder if the Windows 8 ARM/Medfield tablets will count as PCs or not. I think that they should.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]A PC is a computer running Windows. Last I checked, Apple does not sell ANY PCs because they don't sell computers running Windows. They sell Mac desktops, Mac notebooks, iPads, iPhones, iPods, etc., but none of these are PCs. HP, on the other hand, sells many PCs, so all they had to do to beat Apple in the amount of PCs shipped is sell a single PC.[/citation]

Actually, this is false. A "PC" is a personal computer. SO, as much as Apple wants to separate themselves from the term "PC", they can't. Unless they drop their iMacs, Macbooks, Mac Pros, and Mac Minis... then they'll be left with an iPad. I think there's a certain level of usefulness that must be met before you classify a device as a "computer". The iPad can take the PPOS acronym.

[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Actually, this is false. A "PC" is a personal computer. SO, as much as Apple wants to separate themselves from the term "PC", they can't. Unless they drop their iMacs, Macbooks, Mac Pros, and Mac Minis... then they'll be left with an iPad. I think there's a certain level of usefulness that must be met before you classify a device as a "computer". The iPad can take the PPOS acronym.[/citation]

Actually a PC is a computer running Windows and is a marketing term of M$'s. Yes, it's an abbreviation for Personal Computer, but it belongs to M$ and is actually an umbrella term for computers running Windows. Look it up if you must. Even Apple acknowledges this.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Actually a PC is a computer running Windows and is a marketing term of M$'s. Yes, it's an abbreviation for Personal Computer, but it belongs to M$ and is actually an umbrella term for computers running Windows. Look it up if you must. Even Apple acknowledges this.[/citation]
Actually you're wrong. The term PC has been used long before Windows was released and Microsoft was founded. Also Microsoft doesn't own the trademark PC or personal computer and to my knowledge no one owns it.

Apple used the perm PC to try to differentiate itself from Windows without ever having to mention the name Windows in their ads.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
"PC" is not just for Windows. It was popularized by IBM, that's what they called their desktop computers first released in 1981. IBM established the open-source (could be built from parts made by anyone) form we use today for almost all home, and other, microcomputers. The term "personal computer" existed before IBM's PC, and before Windows existed.

However, Apple has made a point of telling everyone in world-wide campaigns that their computers are NOT PCs, they are Macs, so, as pretty much everyone has said, they don't make PCs. Never mind that they are made exactly like PCs, except for the proprietary chips that prevent you from running OS X on anything but Apple products (unless you hack it).

I'll tell you the truth here; I think Apple is paying some people in the media to hype their products and try to make them look more popular than they are. I think that some of the media types that got hooked on Macs when they were better suited for graphics related media are such fanboys they will lie to pump up their favorite product. I think the confusion about tablets being PCs is intentional, not just stupidity.

I'll tell you this, too; it pisses me off, it makes me feel more anti-Apple than I already do, and more scornful of media types in general. They are willfully stupid people, and these days not only are they clueless, but they can't even spell, spell-check, or use a minimal level of grammar quality.

Not all of them are willfully stupid (that means they choose to be stupid, for those not familiar with the phrase) of course, but almost all of them don't care, including the ones in Tomshardware. How do I know? Because they never call out the bad ones, that's how. They seem to have some kind of "code amongst thieves" for journalism.

Modern journalists, especially those in television, are hand-in-hand with politicians responsible for the "dumbing down" effect on the world. They both intentionally report hazy and incorrect information to paint emotion-driven stories for sensationalist purposes. Politicians do it so you'll vote for the most popular, not the best, and journalists do it because they can, and because it's far easier than finding the real facts. "That's what sells". Bull.

The average modern journalist is no better than the ones that wrote stories about cowboys and Indians in the 1800's. They are pulp-fiction writers that pass off their excrement as factual stories. Actually, they aren't even that close to most pulp-fiction writers, who do know how to spell.

I'm sick of this crap. Can you tell?

madgeyu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Canalys said that tablets make up about 19 percent of all client PC shipments. Netbooks are down to 5 percent.
hmp.gif

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Tablets are PCs is derived from "walk like a duck, quacks like a duck so must be a duck" ,simplified journalistic understanding.

This site is so skewed towards Apple, it's not even funny anymore.
First, they count iPad's as PCs, which is ridiculous (as many posts said already) for all the reasons in the world...
Then, they keep quiet about the most important event of the day, which is Samsung's next Galaxy Phone, launching in London. If this were an Apple event, they would have built anticipation for at least a month in advance with 3-4 "rumor" articles/day.
That's why I just visit this site nowadays to get my daily fun by poking at the News' comments and to give help to people in need of advice on the Questions forums. I get my real news elsewhere.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Apple may technically sell PCs, but if they're going to refer to them as Macs and not PCs (silly advertising campaign as a PC could run Linux and not Windows), then we should just humour them.

A Mac is a personal computer. A phone won't be classed as one until it approaches the kind of flexibility one associates with owning a desktop or laptop machine. Tablets... blur the line. In the end, it's probably more to do with what you as an individual terms a PC, but to many it's a stigma. To me, a PC is a device designed to give you the freedom to perform any number of different tasks from productivity to multimedia to purchasing. Sure, a phone can do all these, but not to the same level. That's my personal opinion and no doubt differs to those of others here.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Since when did we start considering an iPad a PC?[/citation]
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]A PC is a computer running Windows. Last I checked, Apple does not sell ANY PCs because they don't sell computers running Windows. They sell Mac desktops, Mac notebooks, iPads, iPhones, iPods, etc., but none of these are PCs. HP, on the other hand, sells many PCs, so all they had to do to beat Apple in the amount of PCs shipped is sell a single PC.[/citation]
[citation][nom]saintjimmy[/nom]iPads really SHOULD NOT be counted as PCs. Yes, they're technically computers, but they're far from being in the same realm as desktops and laptops.[/citation]
[citation][nom]_Cubase_[/nom]Why don't we just go ahead and call all iPod's "PCs" while we're at it! Does my scientific calculator count too?[/citation]

ok, average person time.
what do they do?
look at a youtube clip
look at facebook
watch netflicks/other services
send an email
brows the internet

now no mater what any of you say, an ipad (and most tablets) can do this.
to MOST people, a tablet is just a computer in a new form factor, and guess what...

THEY ARE RIGHT.

o no they dont have windows cant be a pc...
pc = personal computer
personal computer =/= windows only

they are new, and are still getting stronger...
you going to tell me that my computer from 15 years ago isnt a computer because it doesnt have power behind it... because i can guarentee that an ipone 2 was more powerfull than it.
you going to tell me they cant be a pc because they arent useing an x86 processor... well... wish you could see me face palm for this.

and o yay... people taking it to extremes, calculator being a pc... technically, its limited, but its still a computer, but most of us wont consider it a computer because lack of versatility outside of calculator.

a 360 is a game console, it plays games, and is treated like a service that you rent and have to pay for the innital hardware (like direct tv)... i can barely call the 360/ps3/wii personal with the massive limitations

o yay, did i get the down votes, and people arguing against me yet... not sure if i will respond to them just because i cant see an argument where you would be right not calling a tablet a pc, and it will mostly decend into picking my arguments appart, which you can do, but i just dont want to deal with.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ok, average person time.what do they do?look at a youtube cliplook at facebookwatch netflicks/other servicessend an emailbrows the internetnow no mater what any of you say, an ipad (and most tablets) can do this. to MOST people, a tablet is just a computer in a new form factor, and guess what...THEY ARE RIGHT.o no they dont have windows cant be a pc... pc = personal computerpersonal computer =/= windows onlythey are new, and are still getting stronger...you going to tell me that my computer from 15 years ago isnt a computer because it doesnt have power behind it... because i can guarentee that an ipone 2 was more powerfull than it. you going to tell me they cant be a pc because they arent useing an x86 processor... well... wish you could see me face palm for this. and o yay... people taking it to extremes, calculator being a pc... technically, its limited, but its still a computer, but most of us wont consider it a computer because lack of versatility outside of calculator.a 360 is a game console, it plays games, and is treated like a service that you rent and have to pay for the innital hardware (like direct tv)... i can barely call the 360/ps3/wii personal with the massive limitations o yay, did i get the down votes, and people arguing against me yet... not sure if i will respond to them just because i cant see an argument where you would be right not calling a tablet a pc, and it will mostly decend into picking my arguments appart, which you can do, but i just dont want to deal with.[/citation]
Then smart-phone sales should also be included in the study since we can use them to do the exact same thing we do on a tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS