HP Takes Aim At GPU Dock Market With The Omen Accelerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel_75

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017
The HP USB-C dock that I purchased is only usable on HP branded product so I wouldn't bet it could be used on anything else.

I don't understand the market/need for an external GPU box.
I know it's for laptops and I always thought something like this would be great but I was thinking like $50.
The cost of these devices are often more than a good video card... I'm not convinced that this would be any better than buying a discrete graphics card built into the laptop. I guess if a person had a laptop with an excellent CPU and onboard graphics then it might be worth it but your looking at $550 - $700... ..and that's enough for a whole new laptop...

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

The only added extra cost is $300 for an eGPU setup. The rest of the cost comes from buying the actual GPU. You can save money when getting a laptop by only buying an integrated GPU, so you aren't paying extra for a dGPU in a laptop as well.

Some benefits of an eGPU: allows your laptop to run cooler and quieter, prolonging life. Allows you to achieve power and portability (not simultaneously). Honestly, I think it is counter intuitive buying a laptop with a dedicated GPU because it is automatically obsolete as soon as you get it.

Also, I think it is a bad move on HP to only capture the market for HP consumers. Why is Alienware and HP fragmenting the eGPU consumer base to only their products.

Jack_275

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
@Dark_Lord personally I see it for the ultraportable class especially i.e. the Hp spectres that weigh just a couple pound and cost around $1500 for high end models, now you have everything set up just plug and play any high end game, no need to duplicate files, subscriptions etc. To get a gaming pc with a 1070, i7, cooling, motherboard, and a high quality screen your looking closer to 2000 with a nice monitor much much than the 600-700 needed for the same setup with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.