HP: We've Abandoned Our Android Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Well... kind of makes sense.

They spent $1bill+ for a dying tech... might as well use it. Rather than look like idiots. Why use 2-3 other brands when you JUST bought a whole company out?

tonyn84

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
I'm more disappointed that they have yet to release anything tablet or phone wise. WebOS has some neat potential, its a shame to see it stuck on that crappy old hardware.

hamthony

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Smart business move, "Were going with the Palm OS, yea you know, the one that tanked. We here at HP like to go against the grain."
-epic fail

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tonyn84[/nom]I'm more disappointed that they have yet to release anything tablet or phone wise. WebOS has some neat potential, its a shame to see it stuck on that crappy old hardware.[/citation]

I would guess that's what they're working on now. Thus I'd kind of see this as good news. More competition to WinMo7/Android/etc..!

G

webOS is still the best mobile OS in existence. The first iteration failed due to Palm's lack of sufficient funds to push it, not from being a bad OS - v2 will perform far far better, have much better hardware, and the biggest tech company in the world behind it. In 6 months time, the mobile landscape will look very different, with webOS and WinPhone7 taking a large slice of the pie

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]TBH I'm not disappointed because there is already so many other options out there.Sorry HP[/citation]

Because WebOS will never truly compete and they will be forced to catchup or abandon the format later. OSs are really about available software, and there are finite dev resources available.

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Oops meant to cite:

They spent $1bill+ for a dying tech... might as well use it. Rather than look like idiots. Why use 2-3 other brands when you JUST bought a whole company out?

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
For $2.1billion You would of hoped they would of released a webOS device sooner and it would be a golden egg of a device! other wise HP's are going to be left with nothing more than a limp omelet......

..............I'll get my coat

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]TBH I'm not disappointed because there is already so many other options out there.Sorry HP[/citation]
Yup. HP Doesn't exactly carry a name people trust these days. And now they're sticking with webos? Glad I don't own HP stock.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
It should be interesting to see what HP can do with WebOS. If they can push it hard enough it might be able to compete with Android and IOS. Personally I'd like to see it happen because competition is always good in any market.

G

Buying palm for a billion bucks was their first mistake. Their second mistake is continuing to use a dead technology just because they were dumb enough to buy it.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
It's a well done OS right now and if they can push out up-to-date devices it has the chance to really take off. Palm kind of death spiraled and I doubt they left them with much for hardware designs when they bought them out so they probably had to come up with the designs on their own or spend time adapting designs they had already been working on.

Honestly, if you'd ever used webOS you'd realize its everything Android wants to be. A completely open platform with huge customization options and real company support rather than the loose support that Android receives from Google and the companies using it on their devices. HP has been doing a lot to try to increase official dev support for the platform the past few months and reduce a lot of the dev time requires to move into the platform from iOS or Android. But even without the official support there is a huge level of unofficial dev support that has made up the difference while Palm was in its death spiral.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Well i've used almost every HP smartpone they've ever made, and cane say that they have all sucked. Therefore it is no surprise to me they are going to continue the trend and have even spent over a billion to insure that they do. MS is not lying when they say they arent a big influence, except for to steer people away from anything resembling their product.. MS probably caught a break that HP wasnt trying to be at the forefront of the "Windows Phone 7" fiasco.

G

I'm glad to see HP focusing on webOS. They have enough resources to get it on good hardware and get some of the major apps ported over from iOS and Android. Which is really all it needs; in every other area that matters to users it's competitive.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Android is a commodity market, and HP doesn't need to play in it. They spent a lot of money on Palm so they didn't have to.

They can get higher margins, through greater differentiation, with WebOS.

The market isn't screaming for yet another "me too" Android phone, but if HP gets WebOS right, they should make much more profits. And if they don't think they can get it right, they shouldn't have bought Palm.

I'd have been shocked if they offered a phone with WebOS, or Windows. What sense would that make?

Status
Not open for further replies.