HP Will Prey on Disgruntled Customers in Wake of Dell Buyout

Status
Not open for further replies.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
to save on their profits, HP used inferior parts in business class equipment. I've had custoemrs loose hundreds of thousands of dollars because they use cheap/eco Seagate drives, horrible raid controllers and borderline stupid bios'. STAY AWAY FROM HP. Dell is STILl the better choice and custom build your own if you can deal with warranty issues (if they even come up). I've built over 75 servers and workstations for customers in 3 years (including businesses as they are my clients) and never once have I had a warranty issue. I uses ASUS Motherboards and Wester Digital drives. PUrchase good equipiment, not cheap equipment.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]to save on their profits, HP used inferior parts in business class equipment. I've had custoemrs loose hundreds of thousands of dollars because they use cheap/eco Seagate drives, horrible raid controllers and borderline stupid bios'. STAY AWAY FROM HP. Dell is STILl the better choice and custom build your own if you can deal with warranty issues (if they even come up). I've built over 75 servers and workstations for customers in 3 years (including businesses as they are my clients) and never once have I had a warranty issue. I uses ASUS Motherboards and Wester Digital drives. PUrchase good equipiment, not cheap equipment.[/citation]
Even WD drives have quality problems these days, at least since the floods. There are not 'good' hard drives in the consumer space that can be recommended to my clients in good faith...

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
The PC market is so slow right now that i don't think HP is going to get many new customers. Dell makes great laptops, i have had at least 3 in my life time and never had an issue with them, they run alot cooler than HP laptops and their better built.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]The PC market is so slow right now that i don't think HP is going to get many new customers. Dell makes great laptops, i have had at least 3 in my life time and never had an issue with them, they run alot cooler than HP laptops and their better built.[/citation]
Their Alienware stuff has serious problems. A customer had to RMA their 17" with SLI 3 times for hardware/driver issues. Ultimately they replaced it (finally) but for a 2000 dollar laptop, that was unacceptable.

Dell in general... well, I have a consumer grade 11" laptop with an i3. It is ok. Does the job. Wish they had cheaper batteries (their 1st one died in a couple months, but that might just be a glitch). I just feel like their bios are too proprietary...

Wish we had more options. ASUS seems to be the only vendor I can trust these days...

[citation][nom]RealBeast[/nom]The total lack of HP printer drivers for Windows 7, talk about a complete absence of customer service.[/citation]

My somewhat new HP printer has no issues with Windows 7. Are you referring specifically to older printers?

[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Even WD drives have quality problems these days, at least since the floods. There are not 'good' hard drives in the consumer space that can be recommended to my clients in good faith...[/citation]

Although expensive, it's my understanding that WD's VelociRaptor drives are still very reliable. I also haven't had issues with any Caviar Reds, granted they aren't very old yet.

[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Their Alienware stuff has serious problems. A customer had to RMA their 17" with SLI 3 times for hardware/driver issues. Ultimately they replaced it (finally) but for a 2000 dollar laptop, that was unacceptable.Dell in general... well, I have a consumer grade 11" laptop with an i3. It is ok. Does the job. Wish they had cheaper batteries (their 1st one died in a couple months, but that might just be a glitch). I just feel like their bios are too proprietary...Wish we had more options. ASUS seems to be the only vendor I can trust these days...[/citation]

Can you distinguish between the issues being hardware or driver issues? If they were hardware issues, then it's Dell's fault AFAIK, but if they were driver issues, would it really be Dell's fault?

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]to save on their profits, HP used inferior parts in business class equipment. I've had custoemrs loose hundreds of thousands of dollars because they use cheap/eco Seagate drives, horrible raid controllers and borderline stupid bios'. STAY AWAY FROM HP. Dell is STILl the better choice and custom build your own if you can deal with warranty issues (if they even come up). I've built over 75 servers and workstations for customers in 3 years (including businesses as they are my clients) and never once have I had a warranty issue. I uses ASUS Motherboards and Wester Digital drives. PUrchase good equipiment, not cheap equipment.[/citation]

I work in a server software test lab, and we have LOTS of hard drives. On the order of a couple thousand. In my experiences, Hitachi, WD, and Seagate have been in a dead heat for reliability. Toshiba trails badly from the other three. At home, I have 12 Seagate drives (4 2TB and 8 1TB) and have had no problems at all. I find Seagate to be equal in reliability and having an advantage due to price.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Honestly, Dell will probably gain customers in the long run with this. the board of directors and a shareholders mentality have been holding them back for a long time. This way they'll be able to innovate and reinvest the profits much more easily and move faster than HP ever could, even if they fire their current idiot CEO and get one that knows the business.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]Honestly, Dell will probably gain customers in the long run with this. the board of directors and a shareholders mentality have been holding them back for a long time. This way they'll be able to innovate and reinvest the profits much more easily and move faster than HP ever could, even if they fire their current idiot CEO and get one that knows the business.[/citation]

That's assuming Mr. Dell is competent. There has been privately run businesses that were run into the ground by their own original owners.

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]That's assuming Mr. Dell is competent. There has been privately run businesses that were run into the ground by their own original owners.[/citation]

He made the company into what it was before it went public. I don't think he'll screw it up now. He's one of the most forward looking, competent men in the business.

Tlight131

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Michael is buying the company back for that very reason. He was sick of quality cuts they had to make to meet share holder demand ('merricuh!)

That said i had an overstock dell inspiron that i bough for 160 dollars. She had a sweet celeron 450 single core, 1.8 ghz. I traded an old mac for a gateway with a bad mobo because it had a core 2 quad in it, im using that dell with the quad in it to this day. Not as my main computer, I used it for two years no problem with that processor in it and just replaced it over the holidays.

HP is a bad company, bad customer service.

vengfulr3ap3r

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Their Alienware stuff has serious problems. A customer had to RMA their 17" with SLI 3 times for hardware/driver issues. Ultimately they replaced it (finally) but for a 2000 dollar laptop, that was unacceptable.Dell in general... well, I have a consumer grade 11" laptop with an i3. It is ok. Does the job. Wish they had cheaper batteries (their 1st one died in a couple months, but that might just be a glitch). I just feel like their bios are too proprietary...Wish we had more options. ASUS seems to be the only vendor I can trust these days...[/citation]

I just want to point out that it would be rather impossible for anyone to RMA a m17x (eg 17" alienware) for having that many SLI problems seeing as it only has one GPU bay. It's the m18x (18" alienware) That has that particular capability.

It really depends on if it was a hardware or a driver issue and I sure hope the tech narrowed it down. If it was a software issue, that's the fault of the GPU manufacture. If the card it's self was defective, and they just recieved a bad batch that also would be considered a fault of the GPU manufacture. Anything more than that and it was dells fault. It really just depends. Saying it was a hardware/driver issue doesn't even come close to narrowing down the meat of the problem and without knowing the problem you can't fault one or the other. for all we know the problem could have been the customers fault.

Too many unknown's to just blatantly say "alienware sucks and has serious problems because someone somewhere had a hardware/software issue with SLI of all things". That many RMA's either the computer was a lemon, alienwares just suck (Though im sure i'd have read about them having THAT many problems seeing as i have researched alienware recently) or the customer was the problem.

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]tlight131[/nom]HP is a bad company, bad customer service.[/citation]

Amen to that. I bought a high end 27" monitor, the ZR2740w, and had it go bad in less than a week. Traded it for another one, only to have that one die in 4 months. I couldn't swap it at Microcenter the second time, so I called HP. It took 3 calls and over 6 hours before I got to the department that could actually support the monitor. (It's a 'commercial' monitor, BTW, not a 'business' or 'consumer' monitor.) I found out over the next few days that this problem was frequent with the first and second run ZR2740w monitors because of cheap, outsourced, power supplies. The decision to use that power supply supplier probably cost them far more in support costs than they made from that line of monitors.

The biggest problem with HP, though, is the convoluted support departments. They are hamstrung by the sheer complexity of their system. If they would just put some thought into making their support department make sense, they'd probably cut support costs pretty well and make customers happier. It's just so stupidly set up. That's bad management decisions.

HP is a bad company, because of bad management.

lostballz

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
I bought a HP 2710m 27" monitor only to have it fail in less than 7 months. They questioned the validity of my warranty. Finally after several hours on the phone and chat they sent a refurbished replacement. The replacement died after 6 days. Again several hours on the phone, again they questioned the warranty. They finally sent another replacement only for it to arrived damaged in the box. WTF!!!

I contacted HP and the best they offered was a new monitor at a slightly reduced cost. I lost it. I blew up on the phone in a manner that made my wife want to leave the house. After threat of a lawsuit and contacting the bbb they admitted wrong and sent another refurbished.

HP can SUCK IT!!!!

Never again will I consider buying any HP branded product no matter how well it will or may perform.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]lostballz[/nom]I bought a HP 2710m 27" monitor only to have it fail in less than 7 months. They questioned the validity of my warranty. Finally after several hours on the phone and chat they sent a refurbished replacement. The replacement died after 6 days. Again several hours on the phone, again they questioned the warranty. They finally sent another replacement only for it to arrived damaged in the box. WTF!!!I contacted HP and the best they offered was a new monitor at a slightly reduced cost. I lost it. I blew up on the phone in a manner that made my wife want to leave the house. After threat of a lawsuit and contacting the bbb they admitted wrong and sent another refurbished.HP can SUCK IT!!!!Never again will I consider buying any HP branded product no matter how well it will or may perform.[/citation]

HP = Help Please

technicalbass

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
I concur. I repaired laptops for 5 years for a tech company. HP had the worst failure rate by far. The idea that they will take customers from Dell and somehow woo them with their quality/customer service is hysterical.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]RealBeast[/nom]The total lack of HP printer drivers for Windows 7, talk about a complete absence of customer service.[/citation]

My 10 year old Officejet 6110xi works fine on Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.