[SOLVED] Hp z440 weird power supply

Mar 19, 2022
Hi guys i want help about my power supply of hp z440 workstation which to be looking weird it has 18 pin atx and 12 pin memory power or might be atx12v its attached to memory channel .

the question is can i run this power supply to a normal motherboard with 8 pin atx from the 12 pin memory and the 18 pin atx , i dont know how to change the 12 pin memory and i dont know if its the atx12v cable plz help .

The 12 pin memory power cable
https://ibb.co/YQ5JcN9

The atx 18 pin
https://ibb.co/2KG1LXT

Solution
Yes, it does. That is the 8 pin EPS 12v power cable that supplies auxiliary power to the CPU. The memory controller is in the CPU so by proxy it also supplies additional power for the memory circuit as well. The problem is not JUST that cable though. There are adapters to use a standard power supply with that motherboard, but there are NOT adapters to use that power supply with a standard motherboard. If you want to ditch that motherboard you are going to need to get a different power supply and probably also a different case because it looks like possibly that motherboard uses a proprietary form factor and standard motherboard form factors may not fit into that chassis.
They make a 24 pin to 18 pin adapter cable, but I've never seen an 18 pin to 24 pin adapter cable. I've also never seen an adapter cable to go from that style of EPS 12v CPU power (Your 8 pin) to the standard style 4+4 pin EPS connector so the answer is almost certainly no, you can't use that power supply with a standard motherboard AND I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to anyhow. If you are going to spend the money on new hardware, then make the investment in a decent power supply to protect that investment rather than using an already old and probably not terrific quality to begin with, power supply.

Mar 19, 2022
They make a 24 pin to 18 pin adapter cable, but I've never seen an 18 pin to 24 pin adapter cable. I've also never seen an adapter cable to go from that style of EPS 12v CPU power (Your 8 pin) to the standard style 4+4 pin EPS connector so the answer is almost certainly no, you can't use that power supply with a standard motherboard AND I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to anyhow. If you are going to spend the money on new hardware, then make the investment in a decent power supply to protect that investment rather than using an already old and probably not terrific quality to begin with, power supply.
Ty for replay but there no even moded way to change that cable and the problem is the memory cable but beside it written mem cpu pwr so does it provide 12 v or not ?

Yes, it does. That is the 8 pin EPS 12v power cable that supplies auxiliary power to the CPU. The memory controller is in the CPU so by proxy it also supplies additional power for the memory circuit as well. The problem is not JUST that cable though. There are adapters to use a standard power supply with that motherboard, but there are NOT adapters to use that power supply with a standard motherboard. If you want to ditch that motherboard you are going to need to get a different power supply and probably also a different case because it looks like possibly that motherboard uses a proprietary form factor and standard motherboard form factors may not fit into that chassis.

Solution
Mar 19, 2022
I have searched internet there is cable to change the 18 atx power cable to 24 to fit any motherboard but my problem now is this memory 12 pin i wanna use that cable on my 8 pin atx gigabyte motherboard , is there any cable like molex or sata cable to atx12v ?

Mar 19, 2022
The problem now is the memory atx12v i dont know if found moded cable to change to 8 if it will work or not im not full sure but that power supply is 700 watt and it seems good .

That will not work with your power supply. That is for a different type of configuration, and is for use SPECIFICALLY with certain models of Seasonic and Corsair power supplies. The pinout and most probably even the "keys" on each individual wires plug shape at the end of each wire where it plugs in, will not be the same. If you use that, and I'm not saying you even COULD because most likely it would never plug in, you would almost 100% certainly fry something or everything. Abandon the idea, those workstation HP power supplies are NOT EVER MEANT to be used with anything other than what they came with or another of HP's proprietary boards.

And if you don't understand what "pinout" means, then you REALLY need to do some research. Often, plugs can LOOK the same, and even plug into a similar socket, but the wiring going to each specific "pin" are not the same from model to model and brand to brand. Plugging something into something with a different pinout is a guarantee to let the magic smoke out.

Reactions: Toughguy
Mar 19, 2022
i was thinking to change my idea of using it and ill follow your advice , ill try to maintain the motherboard which is running auto when i plug the power supply with no display and full speed fan or ill buy motherboard which will fit onto that psu , ty for your efforts and replays .