HP's Slate Spec'ed, Launching June for €400/$546

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I don't understand, how did HP get their hands on an iPad early enough to reverse engineer it so they could fabricate this clone?

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
[citation][nom]haljordan[/nom]I don't understand, how did HP get their hands on an iPad early enough to reverse engineer it so they could fabricate this clone?[/citation]
Quite easy really, they realized that tablet PC's have been around for a decade and they had a dozen designs laying around.

So they took one of those designs, removed the hinge, and then permanently mounted the screen to the second half and ta-da iPad competitor...

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]sandmanwn[/nom]Quite easy really, they realized that tablet PC's have been around for a decade and they had a dozen designs laying around.So they took one of those designs, removed the hinge, and then permanently mounted the screen to the second half and ta-da iPad competitor...[/citation]

No, no, no...the iPad runs on magic...it is different. It did not exist until Jobs "thought" it into existence. I wish companies would stop copying his ideas.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I believe this was announced before the iPad. But I thought they said it would be cheaper than the iPad as in less than $500. But I guess its worth it with Win7. I wouldve liked an ULV CPU on this slate as the battery life would be extended, buit the Atom's OK considering the uses for this tablet.I was planning to get a kindle, but if the price drops lower I'll definitely consider buying this.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]failboat[/nom]Basically a pricey netbook with a touch screen and no physical keyboard. Still beats the iFail.. I mean iPad.[/citation]
I agree that some people can look at it that way, but u have to consider the fact that one of the main purposes of these tablet PCs are ereading. This is easily a giant ereader, Amazon's 10inch kindle cost $489, and it onl;y has long battery life and a good screen. This has alot of value, for book readers, artists, and people who simply like things lite and useful.

sinless

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]jgiron[/nom]I bet this will sell more that the iPad,on the other had Mac might have more lemmings than previously thought.[/citation]

I doubt it. Slate PCs running Windows might or might not sell more than the iPad, but I'll be boiled in oil before I give certain companies (like HP and Acer) my money.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
They changed it.. It was suppose to have a core duo cpu, instead they included an Atom cpui so they can keep the prices down.
So what do you get when you put an Atom CPU with Full fledged Win 7 OS = a slow responding PC with choppy movie playback...

Great Job HP!

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
When did this tablet from Apple become the device we compare all tablets to?

The last time I checked, tablets and keyboardless tablets have existed for years.

P.S. Haljordan, I'm sure Apple invented the portable music players too!

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]When did this tablet from Apple become the device we compare all tablets to?The last time I checked, tablets and keyboardless tablets have existed for years.P.S. Haljordan, I'm sure Apple invented the portable music players too![/citation]

Of course, before the iPod we couldn't listen to music anywhere save for at home on the Hi-Fi, or on the radio in our cars. We were forced to go about humming our favorite songs when we were on the go!

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
The back mounted camera is an interesting design choice. I would have thought they would have put front mount for video chatting.

This still looks way better than the iPad, it's too bad it won't get nearly the press coverage. Of course if this exact same device was branded as an Apple product it would get tons of press and be declared the greatest device ever.

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]haljordan[/nom]No, no, no...the iPad runs on magic...it is different. It did not exist until Jobs "thought" it into existence. I wish companies would stop copying his ideas.[/citation]

Actualy I heard it form a guy who heard it from a toad who heard it from a fairy who heard it from a 3 legged fish that steve jobs get his ideas from the fairy godmother who he has locked in his basment.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Only things I'd change would be a better proc and pressure sensitive screen (Intuos Pad) - that thing would be awesome for artist or photobug.

I'll have to see one in person to judge its usefulness over my netbook. I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around touch typing on these tablets.

drip50291

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
All of these comments are nice. I agree that the duo to atom is BU**S*IT but... FLASH IS GONNA DOMINATE STEVE JOB'S FACE. I f***ing hate that little piece of sh*t for not putting flash on iPhones. And as for ereading... lame but yea a good majority of this market will look to buy pad devices to get they read on, but functionality wise, the HP slate is a computer, the iPad is a silly device

drip50291

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]thlillyr[/nom]Actualy I heard it form a guy who heard it from a toad who heard it from a fairy who heard it from a 3 legged fish that steve jobs get his ideas from the fairy godmother who he has locked in his basment.[/citation]
LOL

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]thlillyr[/nom]Actualy I heard it form a guy who heard it from a toad who heard it from a fairy who heard it from a 3 legged fish that steve jobs get his ideas from the fairy godmother who he has locked in his basment.[/citation]

The guy was more than likely Ballmer, the toad is without a doubt a disgruntled Apple employee, the fairy is nothing more than a figment of the toad's imagination, and the fish is full of lies and slander! What happened to the fourth leg? Jobs ate it...every purchase of a new iPad will include a recipe for "Fish Leg Stew"!

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]The back mounted camera is an interesting design choice. I would have thought they would have put front mount for video chatting. [/citation]

I'm assuming it's so you can use it as a gigantic camera...

?

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I doubt that HP is going to sell more Slates than Apple is going to sell Ipads and i'll try to explain why. First off battery life, the ipad has 120 HRS, the Slate will struggle to get 4 to 5 HRS. Secondly is the Weight of the Slate, it is more than double of that of the Ipad. Third is speed, the Ipad will be considerably faster because it uses flash memory and not a hard drive like the Slate. Furthermore being that it is Windows driven you will need Antvirus software on it, which will slow it down even more. Fourth the Ipad has ten times more games already available at the App store. Last but not least, by the time the Slate is actually available to purchase, the Ipad will have already reached between 3 and 5 million Units in sales. Don't get me wrong i hope they do sell enough of them to give Apple some competition , but i don't see it that close of a race.

Status
Not open for further replies.