HP's webOS Coming to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
lovely if you really love hpo peripherals, I wonder if they'll bother writing drivers for any of their own older devices, I'll bet not... Or they could just go the apple route and say lalalala I can't hear you on getting IOS to actually do anything besides the apps it ships with.

[citation][nom]bdcrlsn[/nom]Ah, the smell of competition.[/citation]
Not really...
"it will likely ship as a customized user interface running on top of Microsoft Windows (7), similar to HP's TouchSmart Software. Ultimately this should keep webOS developers happy and Microsoft's cash flow uninterrupted."
Seems to me that this will just be a bit more like software or a very custom version of windows 7. The last part of the article speculates that some day it may become a standalone OS but not now so.. There really isn't any competition.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Not really..."it will likely ship as a customized user interface running on top of Microsoft Windows (7), similar to HP's TouchSmart Software. Ultimately this should keep webOS developers happy and Microsoft's cash flow uninterrupted."Seems to me that this will just be a bit more like software or a very custom version of windows 7. The last part of the article speculates that some day it may become a standalone OS but not now so.. There really isn't any competition.[/citation]
webOS is actually based off of Linux.

G

As more and more things become web based the OS will matter less and less.

Except for those of us who want to run commercial programs and real games we still need Windows. We need it to thrive.

G

erm HP already has been competing with MS for a while, they push HPUX for workstation class desktops (for business class OS it's actually pretty sweet, especially when it comes to computational intensive applications), webOS would allow them to crack the sub-workstation class desktop, all evidence points to a HP assault on the corporate sector, once they mature webOS on the business sector they will likely refine it for the consumer market although probably still offering it as a consumer option while refining it

look at RIM, they survived for as long as they have only because of the corporate market, if the product is good you can happily sustain it on enterprise sales alone, and as much hype and stories we hear about the iPhone they yet to really crack the corporate market (lack of any real security and user control over the device is really hampering them there), if HP plays their cards right they may well be onto a winner without really needing to take away market shares from the iPhone (which is a hard feat)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Well, for years, the open software world has talked about how Linux would rule the desktop someday and you see how far that has come (not). I am a Linux fan and it is never going to happen.

WebOS will make a minimal (likely barely measurable) dent in MS's desktop dominance. It may do well in the netbook/tablet niche, but that is it (and even that will be relative).

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
would be interesting if it were a dual boot option like asus and other notebook/netbok makers used for quick acess to internet browsing liek facebook ... but as a windows overlay i'd have to see it before commenting

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Once SSDs replace HDDs completely, at 400MB/s or higher, any windows will be lite. I'm using Corsair Performance 3, and things are completely different now. Most of the stuff is done like 80-90% faster than it used when I was using WD Black 1TB...

Status
Not open for further replies.