html Help files do not work correctly

Gates

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004

Html help files ( .chm ) do not work correctly. For instance some of the
files in C:/Windows/Help folder do not work correctly ( some images do not
load, "Related topics" link does not work - "page cannot be displayed" ) ,
but some work correctly- for instance Windows Media Player help file. And
besides Norton AntyVirus help files , though they are not in C:/Windows/Help
folder, do not work correctly.

So the point is that for some reason SOME of the files with .chm extension
recently started workin' incorrectly. And when I click on the Windows
Glossary link in Help and Support Center an error message appeares informin'
that there's an error in the script on this page ( runtime error, error:
object expected )

I would appreciate if anyone would help me resolve that issue.
Thanks in advance for any help

Use MSCONFIG to extract a new copy of HH.EXE
or
To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"gates" <gates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB2596EF-FCA5-44D3-A134-6B0B8B4F487D@microsoft.com...
> Html help files ( .chm ) do not work correctly. For instance some of the
> files in C:/Windows/Help folder do not work correctly ( some images do not
> load, "Related topics" link does not work - "page cannot be displayed" ) ,
> but some work correctly- for instance Windows Media Player help file. And
> besides Norton AntyVirus help files , though they are not in C:/Windows/Help
> folder, do not work correctly.
>
> So the point is that for some reason SOME of the files with .chm extension
> recently started workin' incorrectly. And when I click on the Windows
> Glossary link in Help and Support Center an error message appeares informin'
> that there's an error in the script on this page ( runtime error, error:
> object expected )
>
> I would appreciate if anyone would help me resolve that issue.
> Thanks in advance for any help

Gates

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004

I already checked system files recently. They are ok. It is something else
that causes this.
Sorry

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Use MSCONFIG to extract a new copy of HH.EXE
> or
> To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
> 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "gates" <gates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB2596EF-FCA5-44D3-A134-6B0B8B4F487D@microsoft.com...
> > Html help files ( .chm ) do not work correctly. For instance some of the
> > files in C:/Windows/Help folder do not work correctly ( some images do not
> > load, "Related topics" link does not work - "page cannot be displayed" ) ,
> > but some work correctly- for instance Windows Media Player help file. And
> > besides Norton AntyVirus help files , though they are not in C:/Windows/Help
> > folder, do not work correctly.
> >
> > So the point is that for some reason SOME of the files with .chm extension
> > recently started workin' incorrectly. And when I click on the Windows
> > Glossary link in Help and Support Center an error message appeares informin'
> > that there's an error in the script on this page ( runtime error, error:
> > object expected )
> >
> > I would appreciate if anyone would help me resolve that issue.
> > Thanks in advance for any help

xrmauk

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
had the same problem with some of my files(vista but may not matter).

tried unlockers, no soap.

sounds crazy, but what i eventually did was to open the file with a non windows

application, move to desktop, open, close, undo move, with every subfolder in the

file. bingo. sounds crazy, but it worked.

you're welcome in advance, xrmauk@yahoo.com