Huawei Blames 'Lack of Innovation' on Loss of Steve Jobs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]People need to learn, Steve Jobs was not an innovator over the last 10 years, he's been an iterator. What Jobs did was take ideas for other people that were seperated across multiple products and instead combined all those ideas into a single product.[/citation]

I don't like him either, but combining a slew of unrelated technologies and creating a single product is, in fact, called inovating.

It's not invention and, barring the multiple releases based on previous versions of the same product, not iteration.

iPod and iTunes: inovative. Why? Because while MP3 players existed before, they never had a true ecosystem to depend on. People had P2P software and ripped CDs, but iTunes allowed for a whole different way to buy media.

Both are crap today, with iTunes being one of the first things I uninstall when I am tweaking a client's computer, but the effect of the $1 song and the portable media player cannot be ignored.

The iPhone took a huge list of technologies that were invented by other people and put them together to create a single, fluid device that was fun and intuitive to use (compared to the competition of the time). It revolutionized the industry by changing the entire landscape.

The iPad, while not a new idea by any means, did things better because of the the multitouch screen and the UI designed for touch.

Personally I hate Apple. Partly because they succeed based on their excellent marketing, partly because they practice their little patent wars with their competitors, and partly because I think their products are horribly overpriced.

But I don't kid myself and say they haven't influenced anything. The original iPod, iPhone, and iPad are good devices; good enough that Apple's marketing only has to convince people they are slightly better than they are and worth a fair bit more than they are.

I'd probably own one if not for iTunes and Windows Phone 7.

scooterboi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]If he had had slammed Apple instead of Samsung people in here would be congratulating him. Bunch of hypocrites.[/citation]
remember when linus torvalds calling for high res display be the standard for laptops and desktops? the hypocrisy went over the roof

baconeater

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I literally skipped the article and went right to the comment section to see the blatant apple hate comments. It's always fun.

[citation][nom]sublime2k[/nom]Zak Islam is by far the most annoying person on Tom's Hardware. So far up Apple's a**hole that only his shoelaces are visible.And no, Jobs was not a f***ing visionary. Stop throwing that word around.[/citation]

How so? did he not change the way smartphones look? Or the way tablets look and feel? Maybe you just don't know the definition of visionary. Cause he did envision what thing WOULD BE , and made it happen. That IS what it means.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]richarduk[/nom]I have always found Huawei phones to have the best implementations of Android. He's is correct, how ever you feel about Apple and Jobs, they created the smart phone market. Without him things are a little bland. I had hoped for Windows Phone 8 to push the market forward but that is a car crash of an OS. Maybe Ubuntu Phone will prompt more innovation.[/citation]
Jobs was an artist of a technical nature. An artist... but not innovation in the software sense. Jobs made aesthetics... nice and shiny ones.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Ahhhh that old tactic. Saying others are crap but my stuff is good. Be thankful that companies like Apple did all the R&D so your company can copy it and make money much easier!

[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]Aits a bit bad when people can't give a little credit to a guy after he's gone. I've worked on every type of phone over the past 20 years, the manufacturers sent me them for free because they wanted our products on their devices. The iPhone was the only phone I ever paid for, and it was a vast improvement over every other phone on the market at the time. I had 20+ Windows Mobile apps on the go back then and loved the platform, yet I could see that they were dead in the water after the iPhone release. There were practically no capacitive touch devices out there, and certainly not multi-touch. Apple brought accelerometers and gyroscopes, small thin form factors, integrated Internet apps that worked and were a joy to use. And an interface that was smooth and transitioned from one app to another... the list goes on. Without the iPhone we wouldn't be where we are today, and for that I than Steve Jobs!Let the hate commence... Lets see those thumb downs[/citation]

Most people do not deny that the iPhone was a big kickstarter for modern mart phones. However, many people overstate (many other understate too, so it's all a big mess) what Jobs actually did. Apple brought out products that had technologies, concepts, etc. from many other products. There wasn't a whole lot of invention going on. Maybe that can be called innovation, but at this point, that word seems to just be another buzzword to grab attention anyway. That stuff such as Apple's first dabs into the digital music player market was a direct copy of previous MP3 players does not support Apple's supposed stance of innovation.

Looking back on things now, Apple's iPods are not direct copies of the MP3 players of many other companies, so that old issue doesn't apply these days. We have things such as iTunes and Apple's app store that were among the first few such digital stores to get extremely big, but at least in the sense of iTunes, it's a dinosaur today. Apple managed to get kick started in many markets, but they seem to really stagnate right after kick-starting the market.

For example, after Apple got their iPhones out, Android came along and became the more modern system with having many features and other advantages long before Apple and not so much for the other way around. Sure, Android has problems of its own such as fragmentation, but that doesn't refute the fact that if you wanted stuff such as WiFi or 4G, for quite a while, Android was the only way to go. If you wanted to add storage to your phone, Android was (and still generally is, granted with some exceptions) the only way to go. The list goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.