HUGE Ereader Packs Two 14.1-inch LCDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Am the only one who's surprised at two 14.1" screens yet supposedly 6 to 8 hours of battery life? Regardless of everything else, that's pretty nice.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
well a 14" screen and a 14" touch screen keyboard when required would be good, I hate small keyboard touch screens (see iPod Touch). I think it would be nice to have screen real estate that has two 1080P screens, but I'm just a dreamer.

vancouverboy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
for a "single" touch screen tablet/pad, 14" is pretty good, but when combining TWO screens of 14", I would say that's too big (even at home).

11"~12" screens would be the maximum confortable size to handle and to carry around, if talking about a X2 setup.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
hmm. concept looks nice. I'd only go for it if they have a full OS and can be used in a "laptop" mode where you'll have your main screen and the bottom screen becomes a virtual keyboard and trackpad.

walt526

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Check out the Entourage eDGe: 10.1" LCD (running Android) plus a 9.7" eInk. I just got one last week as a graduation/birthday gift from my wife and it's awesome. The UI takes a little getting used to, but it's got the functionality as an iPad and a Kindle.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
So lets see under 1000 dollars so it costs 999 dollars, 14inch screen is cool and all but with that big of screen the battery life is going to suffer.

A smaller screen size will not only lower cost(by a lot i would imagine) but will improve battery life.

almost 1000 dollars for a reader that only lasts 2 hours isn't a very good buy.

septentriones

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
The note taking on the video seemed convenient and intuitive. I hope they offer a slightly smaller one but even at this size it beats all the textbooks I'm lugging around now.

G

Well, I'll reply to walt526... the eDGe UI does take some getting used to (I'm a long time Mac user), but this device has way more functionality than anything like it on the market right now (we're talking the mobility market). It IS outstanding. It IS worth the learning curve. It does WAY more than iPad and Kindle, to date. You might want to look into it. If you are into 'function' (not media and social stuff, so much... it does do that, too... and will do increasingly more, I'm sure, in the near future), but in terms of functionality and 'work', this IS the leader, right now. It is definitely worth a look. While this product is being directed to students, it is becoming apparent that it is hitting with people in, not only, the education area, but also, with people in sciences, r&d, and many other work related areas, etc. For instance, MD's, research scientists, research 'anyone' (*), and personal users who have a bent for study and research. It is the awesome tool because you can read on one side and do your research and/or take your notes on the the other. There is a lot of flexibility here.

TAKE NOTE.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Maybe if companies didn't want double cost as msrp ideas would take off a bit better. I mean really, wtf's the problem if they sell it for 800 instead of 1000, oh dear god they wont make profit as fast, wait, yes they will, since more people would buy it....

freespace303

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Who the fuck wants to look at 2 screens at the same time? Especially in a portable situation? Your eyes can only view one screen at a time, this seems like such a waste. Damn sheep. lol

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
Two 14" screens is just too big for portability and usability.

Give it one screen and one writing surface for note taking, then they would have a product for textbook replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.