HUGE Geforce 2 problem

goody16

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2001
my roommate has a Geforce 2 GTS w/ amd 1ghz ... 30gig harddrive, 128 micron ram, etc. But the problem is when he is playing games (and sometimes even just in windows media player) his video card suddenly stops sending a signal to his monitor (i.e. the monitor goes black in the middle of doing something) and wont come back on. Whats even more weird is that his restart button wont work after that. Any bright ideas as to the problem? Overheating? AGP slot? Power supply? Just a screwed up card?

appreciate the help

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Because of the restart thing, I'd say bad wiring somewhere. and while you're at it check the psu.
hope this helps

G

Hey guys I am the roomate with the system. Here are the specifics of the system.

MSI K7T Pro 2a
SPI 350 watt PSU
T bird 1ghz
128 meg crucial cas2 pc133
Hercules Geforce 2 GTS 32mb
SOund Blaster Live
IBM 75GXP 30gig

The thing i think it may be is the fact that I have a triple boot system. I am running 98, 2k and mandrake linux. Any advice or suggestions are to be appreciated.

Kio_Liex

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2001
I don't think that the OS's have anything to do with your problem... Because the bootloader have nothing to do with the grafik problems that your system have.
Have you had any other grafik card intall?
It could maybe the AGP port, or some chip on the card, can you try to run it on a nother system???

-----------------------------------------

It is the questions that drives us...

G

Man, this problem is like an infection..:) I've seen quite a number of ppl on this board with this very same problem with practically the same setup hardware and OS config wise..the one prevelant factor that keeps cropping up is the use of DIRECTHEX 8...I'm currently writing Microsoft tech support an e-mail about the possible fix for this issue..read my post's to Hyllian's message in the "Drivers" section of this board..it describes in a bit of detail my recent troubleshooting adventures with this pain in the A#$ problem..the long and the short..for now, revert back to DirectX version 7 (yes, this means no Mech Warrior 4 or anything else that requires the use of DirectX 8 in the mean time). As it seems we are all running pretty much the same hardware setup and discovering the same headache..:(

NOTE: this problem seems to be indigenous to the GeForce 2 GTS series type of card(s). I've not seen and complaints from the MX or Ultra owner's of the GeForce 2 series cards..

DT

Motivation is half the battle to success..personal intiative completes the process..:)