Question Huge stuttering after switching from NVidia 1050Ti to AMD RX 6600 ?

Nov 21, 2022
MY PC:
MB:ASROCK AB350 PRO4
CPU:RYZEN 5 5500
GPU: RX 6600 8GB running PCI-E 3.0 8x
PSU: 700W RATED 650W= 1stCool White Storm - 700W
RAM 2X 8GB KINGSTON 2400 CL15
2 monitors:
144Hz main one 24G1WG4 runnin DISPLAYPORT
60Hz old one BenQ FP91GX runnin DVI-D

Got M2 SSD
and 1TB SATA HDD

WIN 10 64BIT
BIOS 7.40 (newest one)

So my problem is.

I switched from 1050ti to rx 6600.
Whole PC is stuttering,games have normal-good fps for the setup,but huge microlags/stuttering.
When I open 2 chrome tabs each on 1 monitor videos are lagging,loading randomly with 120sec buffer (not connection issue)
Even any other things on chrome are laggy and whole PC stutters, Mouse is laggy.
What feels very odd to me is when I turn off HW acceleration on chrome and I watch video/something else CPU runs at 100%
But when I play games the FPS are good...sometimes it has random drops and stuttering,but the performance meaning max fps/avg fps are around what they should be.

I tried to reinstall windows.
Installed drivers only.
Installed drivers+amd software.
Updated chipset.
Bios updated to latest version.
Undervolting GPU
Overclocking GPU.
UNPARKED CPU.
Updated all drivers.
RAM in DUAL channel (runned MEMTEST)
RAM DEFUALT 2400Mhz/Overclocked 2800Mhz
RESET BIOS to defualt.

ON/OFF amd SMART memory
I tried only 1 monitor

I dont really know what else to try or do.
Any ideas would be very helpfull.

Reactions: wee5
Nov 21, 2022
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
test with just 1 monitor?
how full is the ssd
The thing Is Its lagging even on Windows without any huge load,even at like 10% CPU And 1% GPU

Also my temps Are OK, GPU max 60°C And CPU max 65 full load.

SSD Is half full,but I had Same issue right after fresh Windows install.

Tester with 1 monitor And Im not sure,it Felt better but still stuttering.

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
So should I upgrade to 3200Mhz RAM? Thats MAX my MB supports.

Or should I rather buy new PSU?
I'm on the same MOBO as yours and thinking of upgrading my system finally; first thing I'm doing is replacing the board and CPU + RAM. Your CPU and GPU are good pieces but your MOBO, PSU and RAM got to go. If you can't afford to get a better board, then yea def go for 3200, LPX Vengeance would be my pick.

Nov 21, 2022
I'm on the same MOBO as yours and thinking of upgrading my system finally; first thing I'm doing is replacing the board and CPU + RAM. Your CPU and GPU are good pieces but your MOBO, PSU and RAM got to go. If you can't afford to get a better board, then yea def go for 3200, LPX Vengeance would be my pick.
Yea MOBO is the next thing Im gonna replace,but cant rn..maybe in 1-2 months.
Some B550
I just ordered 3200Mhz RAM.

I will probably upgrade the PSU too.

Hope it fixes the problem

Reactions: Elusive Ruse

logainofhades

Titan

Their motherboard is fine, with the CPU that they have. HUB was running a 5800x3d in a B350 Tomahawk, and saw within margin of error results, vs their much expensive X570 board. Yes the ram is a bit slow. The problems didn't occur until the new GPU was installed. That leads me to believe that junker PSU is the culprit.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
Their motherboard is fine, with the CPU that they have. HUB was running a 5800x3d in a B350 Tomahawk, and saw within margin of error results, vs their much expensive X570 board. Yes the ram is a bit slow. The problems didn't occur until the new GPU was installed. That leads me to believe that junker PSU is the culprit.
I don't doubt that the PSU is a big factor, my post was aimed as an addition to your diagnosis.

Board is not the issue. I’ve got that board as well and I’m running a 5900x. My specs

Ryzen 9 5900x
AsRock ab350 pro 4
32gb gskill trident z 3200mhz(4x8gb sticks)
Msi mech 6700xt
240gb Samsung 960 evo ssd nvme
2 1 tb ssd drives and a 2tb also. Those are sata units
Corsair rmx 850
Cooler master mb511 case
Arctic cooling liquid freezer 2 240mm aio

I’m running on a 1440p monitor and it runs great. That board has been good for me. Had it since 2017 or 2018.

In the ops case, I know nothing of that power supply so the power supply is the 1st thing to swap. You are putting more load on the power supply than the 1050ti did so possibly you are starving your 6600 and don’t know it. Make sure you have a quality unit in there and that you have good airflow and go from there before you start swapping other stuff.