Hurt Locker Producers Suing Torrent Downloaders

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]phillipmeyers99[/nom]Wow, over rated movie, guess it has to make money some how.[/citation]

They can make more money per pirated copy than sold copy so it really makes sense from a profit standpoint to go after it. Don't leave money on the table! :)

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]This is ridiculous. I'm so sick of this; they think that lawsuits will stop people from stealing movies. Here's a little newsflash for all you idiotic hollywood big-timers. People have been stealing since the stone age. There have been laws in effect for thousands of years forbidding it, and it still happens more than ever. Saying "No" just encourages these people to do it more, just to spite you.I love being in Canada. The RCMP has made it quite clear they don't plan on wasting resources pursuing Piracy.[/citation]
Don't think they need to look far for pirates and torrent users, just come on over to Tom's with a court order to release information about most of the users registered here (which BTW will include your IP addresses -- you should see some of the tracking scripts Tom's runs).

And I'm so sick of Tom's allowing people to violate terms of use going on about how they use bit torrents to steal movies, music, etc. Let me get the violin out for you bit torrent pirates ... "can't afford it", "Try before I buy", ... yada yada yada ... talk about a generate of spoiled whiners -- how dare they try to prevent me from stealing.

Oh brother!

LazyGarfield

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I bet everyone who downloaded it did regret it... but not because of the possible lawsuit but rather because this must be the worst movie ever and it is not understandable how it could get as many Oscars. The only reason it did get so many Oscars is imho that the USA is obsessed with it´s useless wars to keep theyr weapon´s industry running.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I think this is where producers have to go.
The RIAA isn't producing much in the way of money because it goes after the ISPs which ARE'T GUILTY.

Producers need to go after the actual theives, the law is in place such that they could win a significant amount more than the cost of the movie from each of the theives.

I think this is really the only way for producers to recover what has been stollen from them.

LazyGarfield

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I bet everyone who downloaded it did regret it... but not because of the possible lawsuit but rather because Hurtlocker must be the worst movie ever and it is not understandable how it could get as many Oscars. The only reason it did get so many Oscars is imho that the USA is obsessed with it´s useless wars to keep theyr weapon´s industry running.

This movie is not worth watching.

wydileie

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I think this is where producers have to go.
The RIAA isn't producing much in the way of money because it goes after the ISPs which ARE'T GUILTY.

Producers need to go after the actual theives, the law is in place such that they could win a significant amount more than the cost of the movie from each of the theives.

I think this is really the only way for producers to recover what has been stollen from them.

What you are assuming is that it was stolen from them. A large argument (and a misconception thrown about by these companies) here can be given to, would they have watched it if they hadn't got it for free? For a large majority of these pirates, probably not. Many of them would either just not watch it at all or wait a few months to watch it on TV.

Honestly whats the difference between downloading it and watching it off your DVR or borrowing the DVD/Blu Ray from a friend? None of these ways gets the movie producers money.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
"The Hurt Locker was apparently leaked to the Web five months before it was released in the United States and was extremely popular in the lead up to the Oscars and afterward, when it had secured a host of awards."

Thanks largely to the early torrent leak i'm sure! But yeah, repay by suing, that sounds great.

And do they realize how much time and money its going to cost for all of this? I'm sure it will be more than the company lost to piracy. ANd this isnt going to stop piracy, just a big waste in every way.

pozaks

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
I can not believe these producers would sue these people who stole their movie. Now I'm going post about how their movie is a bad movie and not even worth stealing. That will show them.

Then they will know that they should not use laws to stop me from taking movies that, for artfully rationalized reasons, I believe I am entitled to take.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]Then again you think pirating is stealing[/citation]

We can disagree with the law all we want, the fact is that having possession of a pirated movie is treated as theft and has heavy penalties.

It's unfortunate that while technology promotes means to quickly distribute arbitrary content it also provides mechanisms to track the end delivery point.

Many years before torrents came into use; pirates targeted in these lawsuits were not your typical home movie watcher but someone making and selling many (sometimes hundreds of) copies. With the ability to track the movie all the way to the recipient the offender base is much larger than was possible to track down before. This makes the potential financial win per movie very substantial.

G

I wonder how many people with unsecured wireless routers will be hit with a lawsuit because of this...

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]I can tell you don't understand how the internet works, hint it's completely impossible to stop torrents unless you either shut down the internet, or two shut down the internet.Yes I know those two are the same thing, but it had to be said.[/citation]

They can at least go for the source - the site hosting the torrent or the person responsible for the tracker or w/e

[citation][nom]shysty[/nom]I wonder how many people with unsecured wireless routers will be hit with a lawsuit because of this...[/citation]

I was just about to mention this. Again, go for the source, not every single person who may have clicked on a link to download the torrent.

Look, if they filed this lawsuit 5 months before the movie came out and claimed damaged, fine that is totally acceptable. However, they filed this lawsuit like 2 years after it is out when there are copies in the clearance bin at every walmart. My question is - why the hell are they doing it now? To make a quick buck I assume?

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]I can tell you don't understand how the internet works, hint it's completely impossible to stop torrents unless you either shut down the internet, or two shut down the internet.Yes I know those two are the same thing, but it had to be said.[/citation]
It is not impossible they can block those sites in many ways routers,firewall,dns ect.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]This is ridiculous. I'm so sick of this; they think that lawsuits will stop people from stealing movies. Here's a little newsflash for all you idiotic hollywood big-timers. People have been stealing since the stone age. There have been laws in effect for thousands of years forbidding it, and it still happens more than ever. Saying "No" just encourages these people to do it more, just to spite you.I love being in Canada. The RCMP has made it quite clear they don't plan on wasting resources pursuing Piracy.[/citation]

I don't believe they think it's going to stop anything. It's just a source of income. We need to enact some laws to put a stop to these practices rather than allowing big business to get away with raping everyone.

ncr7002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
This is retarded, any sane judge would dismiss it. It is obscene how much money these people already have while so many around the world live in total poverty.

Rayvyn

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
"The Hurt Locker" is an excellent war movie. I put it right up there with "Apocalypse Now", "Hamburger Hill" and "Platoon". First of all it dealt with an ordinance disposal team rather than front line grunts. Bigelow broke ground in directing by using unconventional techniques like not telling the actors where the cameras were to get real reactions. So I was not shocked that it won best picture. I personally wanted to see "District 9" win best picture though.

As for the lawsuits. Well I can see both sides of it and I agree with the film's producers. Piracy is stealing, plain and simple. Though it's not like going into a store and sticking a DVD in your pants, DVD piracy is getting something for free that you should pay for. That being said, these lawsuits really aren't going to do anything to help movies make more money. Many of the people who pirate them aren't going to go out and buy the movie because of fear of lawsuits. They can just rent the movie and copy it. Also movies are getting cheaper and cheaper when ordered from smaller online vendors. So I hope they don't think to make a lot of money off these lawsuits.

I want to add that the reason the "Hurt Locker" didn't make much money is because people don't seem to have long attention spans and the movie moves slowly. The people today like visual extravaganzas like "Dances With Wolves" oops, I mean "Avatar". "Avatar" has a story that is boring to me because it's just like "Dances With Wolves" and ten other movies. The "soldier-goes-native-and-falls-in-love" story has been done ad nauseum. I wish James Cameron would hire some good writers to come up with some ORIGINAL stuff. Maybe he could hire Harlan Ellison to write something, Cameron stole much of the idea for "The Terminator" from Ellison's writings.

Rayvyn

kc5sym

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

That's probably why they are suing the torrent downloaders, so they can pay him off.

G

this is NAZI B.$.
scare tactics.

"Billionaires suing "pirates".. most of which are poor in the first place.
Give me a fn break.

ithurtswhenipee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
So lets say you downloaded that torrent then seeded it for a while. You only uploaded parts of the file that makes up the copyrighted work to any one person. In order to prosecute, wouldn't they have to find every single seeder that contributed to the complete file for one user? Not impossible to do, but then you would have to prove each seeder did what they did. An easy out is to say someone hacked your WiFi router and used your ip address to torrent. Doesn't seem like a winnable law suit to me.

G

EFF is seeking as many attorneys as possible to advise the targets of these lawsuits and, where appropriate, file motions to quash. Respondents' contact information would be added to a website that will act as a resource for the targets of these lawsuits.

If interested, please contact eva@eff.org with your contact information or the contact information for your firm, and the states in which you are licensed to practice law.

G

Can anyone comment on whether this action is US only or will they go international?

G

The Hurt Locker does not deserve the attention it got,. let alone all this attention online. Trust me if IronMan had leaked online early, millions would have downloaded it. If alice in wonderland had leaked, millions would have downloaded it. What makes this movie so special? they have a raving lunatic WOMEN leading them an no matter how important us males feel, females have the power in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.