hyjacked user

I had a unknown user logged on my computer listed in the
system properties so I deleted it. Did I have someone
using my connection? It's just a dialup. Did I get rid of
it ? My internet surfing was getting slower.

Hi

What was the name of this unknown user? Have you got a Firewall running?

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"connie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had a unknown user logged on my computer listed in the
> system properties so I deleted it. Did I have someone
> using my connection? It's just a dialup. Did I get rid of
> it ? My internet surfing was getting slower.

I've always had xp's firewall on and recently installed
service pack 2. I had run Belarc advisor and found a
guest logged on. Then I went to my system info and in my
user profiles there was a guest listed as unknown using
1.59mb,I deleted that profile. How do I find a name? And
is it really gone?

Two major possibilities. Windows XP Firewall is inbound
only but an allowed download may have contained a worm
that generated the guest user which then allowed outbound
traffic. Second possibility, another user on the computer
created a profile and this is possible when the computer
is already running with an administrator's logon. But with
profile deleted, not possible to do outbound tracking to
destination.

Hi

If you have a Firewall enabled, then the 'instrusion' has probably come from
another account on your PC.