Hynix Settles to Pay Rambus Royalties

Status
Not open for further replies.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Question, is it correct to say that Hynix is the most budget company that exists when it comes to RAM? My Dell laptop shipped with Hynix, it almost made me laugh because I planned on sticking 2 gigs of Corsair in its place anyway. Probably cost Dell next to nothing for 1 gig of Hynix sodimm.

Bah, darn Rambus. They are pretty much just patent trolls, and to make matters worse they were on the committee for standardizing the original DDR standard and went behind everyone's back to patent technology for DDR so they could bleed royalties out of them latter.

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Tekkamanraiden[/nom]I was really hoping rambus would fail at this. I wonder who was keeping them afloat while they did this.[/citation]
im sure it was just minor lawsuits against small Ram manufactures that have gone the way of the dodo the last few years

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
At this rate, Rambus is never going to fail out of the market. I feel like it's just a group of old excecs refusing to cut their losses after loosing the ram war, with 'maybe' a 20 man team of researchers that try and find 'the next big thing', not to produce like any serious company, but just to lisence. Companies like this are the kind that I always hope deep down that find themselves in a corperate jet 20000 miles above the earth right before a sudden and violent jet engine failure.

All they do for the market is drive prices up for the average consumer, without providing anything. Anything at all.

G

Rambus is, effectively, an invention company. The focus on product development rather than mass production. The consumer benefits of their lawsuits, however, far outweigh the price hikes associated with

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]oreillc1[/nom]Rambus is, effectively, an invention company. The focus on product development rather than mass production. The consumer benefits of their lawsuits, however, far outweigh the price hikes associated with[/citation]
I would agree with you IF rambus created the technology all by themselves. Instead, they join the committee to create the next RAM standard, secretly introduce patented technology, then once the standard is adopted, say "Surprise, now you all owe us royalties!".

Anyone remember RDRAM? That was Rambus' next big thing, but was too expensive and was eventually surpassed by much cheaper DDR. RDRAM died EVEN despite being adopted by Intel. If the worlds #1 chip manufacturer ties a whole line of their chips to your RAM, and it still fails, you just suck.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Yeah those RDRAM pentium 4's were pathetic, they ran slower than a 1ghz PIII. Don't forget that Nintendo 64 used RDRAM as well and was a mildly successful console.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I was just happy when people got sued for price fixing RAM, cheap RAM for everyone now! I got 4 gigs of DDR3 for like 65 bucks, people probably do better than that sometimes :) 4 gigs of DDR2 is what $20 now? lol. I remember spending $35 per megabyte of RAM back in the 90s.

Spathi

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
I'm guessing this is satire
Nope, they are usually the first to release new stuff, they are the second biggest and much of the expensive rebadged ram is just Hynix or Samsung. Samsung is the largest, but samsung drop the quality of their products and swap out quality once a particular product has got a good review. We have never had any Hynix fail and use 3000 sticks of different brands RAM.

Most people are just sucked in by marketing and think if they pay more they will get better... often they are just getting older matched ram which has been overclocked, given a new timing table and rebadged. Basically you are paying x00% markup for the matching and label.

Cheers

Spathi

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
I think most of the fuss about RAM quality started years ago when people started selling faked Hynix RAM, but it is not really a problem if you check the ID's before you buy it (which you should do anyway to match it to you MB).

rambusince99

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
I don't know why people make comments on this board without fact checking. Rambus did not have patents when attending JEDEC, so it could not have been a "secret." Further, Rambus could not disclose any future patent intentions because that would have rendered their IP public domain. Rambus did not influence JEDEC's direction as Rambus only voted once during its short membership in JEDEC, and even then voted NO. Rambus was cleared of any conduct issues in Hynix v. Rambus by a jury vote of 37-0. What you hear or have come to believe over the years about Rambus is false and has been debunked in a fair court of law.

Rambus is a "serious" company - surely people here are not saying that an IP company has to actually manufacture to be a "serious" company. Are you then to say that Rambus deserves no patent protection simply because it does not manufacture? Did Thomas Edison actually manufacture phonographs or light bulbs?? Come on! If Rambus' technology was not good, the MM's simply shouild not have used it. If it was good, they should have paid for it. Instead, they conspired to "kill Rambus." Go to www.rambus.org to see the damning documents and emails that prove this, and will be the subject matter of the upcoming Antitrust trial against the MM's.

beanieville

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
JEDEC claiming Rambus secretly "fooled everyone" is a joke. You're talking about technology Rambus has that was way ahead of its time..from changing the then 20mhz to 500mhz memory speed. Rambus' chip design was totally novel and mind-bloggling that everyone would have wondered where it came from before JEDEC adopting it. Truth is, all the committee members knew. Most just want to steal from Rambus. It was Toshiba, a customer of Rambus, who encouraged Rambus to join JEDEC. Toshiba knew Rambus had powerful patents and thought Rambus could benefit the industry.

Besides, it was standard practice that JEDEC members did not have to reveal their patents (but that those patents that get adopted would charge reasonable rates), but Rambus reveal all of theirs (pending patents) anyways.

Is Rambus the next Qualcomm? http://beanieville.blogspot.com/2009/06/next-qualcomm.html

Status
Not open for further replies.