Question Hyperx Cloud II problem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fr0sty98

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
Hi i have issue with my headset i can hear crackling when certain sounds are being played. I passed youtube sound test with no issues i have no idea whats going on. Also when my pc is turning on i hear loud pop's few times. Updated firmware to 10. Not sure whats going on and why is it happening but its pretty annoying.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I dislike usb headsets/adapters. Usb requires a 'handshake' for usb recognition and driver engagement, so what that means is the headset must be set as default playback device and plugged in before starting the game. If at anytime you unplug the usb during the game, windows will revert to using some other device as playback, and if you plug the headset back in, nothing happens as there's no 'handshake' happening in game, you get stuck with whatever windows is set at until you restart the game.

Standard 3.5 headphones don't suffer that as the front jack will over-ride windows default choices and automatically switch, the front jack has priority regardless of default settings.

Crackling/popping is a sign of a bad connection usually. It'll happen with any amplified headphone hack on insertion as the ground nub goes past the spring connectors for the positive (left/right) rings. That's normal. Front Jack's are very cheap on a pc, lowest bidder, billions made every year, so can wear or not be the best quality, or suffer oxidation, which can produce crackling during playback. As can how the wiring is routed, if it's routed too close to power leads, ground is not the best etc and you'll pick up unfiltered RF or power from magnetic transfer.

There's a lot of reasons why you might get crackling/popping at a front jack or even a USB port that have nothing to do with software.

Best headphones I've used over the years are the Steel Series Arctis 7 wifi. They have a wifi dongle that plugs into the standard green default speaker connector, and the standard pc speakers plug into it. When you turn on the headset, the dongle flips to wireless mode, and you get headset, turn them off and dongle reverts to pc speakers. At no point does this change Windows settings, the dongle does the work and is set as the default playback device. Being a rear plug in, it doesn't deal with front jack issues and is out of sight, and wireless devices are tangle free. Being Wifi and not Bluetooth, they are also lag-free.

Last edited:

fr0sty98

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
I dislike usb headsets/adapters. Usb requires a 'handshake' for usb recognition and driver engagement, so what that means is the headset must be set as default playback device and plugged in before starting the game. If at anytime you unplug the usb during the game, windows will revert to using some other device as playback, and if you plug the headset back in, nothing happens as there's no 'handshake' happening in game, you get stuck with whatever windows is set at until you restart the game.

Standard 3.5 headphones don't suffer that as the front jack will over-ride windows default choices and automatically switch, the front jack has priority regardless of default settings.

Crackling/popping is a sign of a bad connection usually. It'll happen with any amplified headphone hack on insertion as the ground nub goes past the spring connectors for the positive (left/right) rings. That's normal. Front Jack's are very cheap on a pc, lowest bidder, billions made every year, so can wear or not be the best quality, or suffer oxidation, which can produce crackling during playback. As can how the wiring is routed, if it's routed too close to power leads, ground is not the best etc and you'll pick up unfiltered RF or power from magnetic transfer.

There's a lot of reasons why you might get crackling/popping at a front jack or even a USB port that have nothing to do with software.

Best headphones I've used over the years are the Steel Series Arctis 7 wifi. They have a wifi dongle that plugs into the standard green default speaker connector, and the standard pc speakers plug into it. When you turn on the headset, the dongle flips to wireless mode, and you get headset, turn them off and dongle reverts to pc speakers. At no point does this change Windows settings, the dongle does the work and is set as the default playback device. Being a rear plug in, it doesn't deal with front jack issues and is out of sight, and wireless devices are tangle free. Being Wifi and not Bluetooth, they are also lag-free.
I plugged in my usb hub in back of my motherboard 2.0 . Weird thing is when i use 3.5mm jack i dont get pops when booting or when plugging them in. Could the pops be dongle getting power and booting or something like that.