[SOLVED] I’m at a loss. PC not posting after new motherboard & ram.

Feb 13, 2022
Here are the specs for my old setup:

Motherboard: ASUS X570-P
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT
RAM: Aegis G Skill 8Gb x 4 (Total 32Gb of RAM)
PSU: Corsair RM750 Gold

Also, I’m not the most knowledgeable when it comes to PC’s, so forgive me if there’s something I over looked.

My PC was working fine, then for seemingly no reason one morning it wouldn’t post. When I turned the PC on, my display would turn on for a few seconds, then turn back off. I can’t even get into BIOS. All the fans were running except the GPU fans.
First I tried testing the GPU. I installed an older Radeon RX580, and it made no difference. Next, I tested each of my 4 sticks of RAM - I tested one at a time and tested each slot in the motherboard and still nothing. I then tested the PSU with my older Evo 500W (don’t exactly remember the specifics of this PSU), and same thing still happened.
I figured it was the motherboard, because from what I know the odds of either CPU suddenly failing or all 4 stick of RAM failing is pretty much next to zero. I ordered a Gigabyte X570-S Aero G, and it just came in yesterday. I installed all the components over to the new motherboard and to my surprise the same thing happens. Except this time when I try to shut off the PC, it won’t turn off. I have to turn off the PSU in order for the PC to turn off.
I noticed that the DRAM lights were on as it was trying to boot, so I thought maybe I just got really unlucky and all 4 sticks crapped out at once. Went to BestBut and got 2 stick of Corsair Vengeance LXP 16Gb, and tested with those. Still nothing. The only thing I’m noticing is that when I turn on the PC, the CPU light on the motherboards turns on for half a second or so, then the DRAM light comes on. After a while, the PSU fan stops spinning and the display shuts back off, and as it’s shutting off the CPU light comes back on for a split second. When I press the power button to turn it off, nothing happens, and when I hold it the CPU light turns back on after a few seconds.
I’ve been at this for almost a week or two now, and I’m at a loss. I praying it’s not the CPU, but that’s the only thing I can think of at this point, but I also don’t want to keep throwing money at the problem and hoping it gets fixed. Also, I did reset BIOS on both the old and new motherboards while testing.
So in short, PC won’t post. Tested PSU, GPU, and RAM. Got new mother board and RAM, and problem keeps happening. Not sure if there’s something else that could be going on other than the CPU. Right now, I have no SSD’s, HDD’s, or other components (keyboard, mouse, etc.). plugged into the PC.

Last edited:
Solution
We really need to know what cpu you have exactly, which 5000 series cpu? Did you not see when you changed motherboards? Depending on what cpu it is, there are different BIOS versions for different cpu's. With your Gigabyte X570-S Aero G, the ones I have seen ''support'' 5000 series cpu's but they are shipped only being ryzen 2nd and 3rd generation ready so will need a BIOS update. Also, with changing motherboards and when you get it to boot, it will need a new windows install.
Feb 13, 2022
How long was your PC working for before it started failing to boot? Usually with a 5000 series cpu, even the X570 motherboards will need a BIOS update to run the cpu,(unless it said 5000 series ready on the box?)
It was working for about 2-3 years before it shut down. I don’t recall updating bios when I first built it, and the new motherboard I got is also 5000 series ready.

We really need to know what cpu you have exactly, which 5000 series cpu? Did you not see when you changed motherboards? Depending on what cpu it is, there are different BIOS versions for different cpu's. With your Gigabyte X570-S Aero G, the ones I have seen ''support'' 5000 series cpu's but they are shipped only being ryzen 2nd and 3rd generation ready so will need a BIOS update. Also, with changing motherboards and when you get it to boot, it will need a new windows install.

Solution
Feb 13, 2022
Feel kind of stupid about this, but I just took the CPU back out and it turn out I have a Ryzen 5 3600. Not sure how I came to thinking I had a 7.
But from what I read on Gigabyte‘s website, the motherboard should still support that CPU without a bios update.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Feb 13, 2022
So I just tested my CPU in my brother’s computer, and the same thing happened. Put his back in, and it worked fine. I guess I got unlucky and my CPU just flat out broke. I’m going to BestBut to get a new one and see if that fixes it.