[SOLVED] I’m going to need more CPU power by using the 4pin but how!?

Sep 8, 2020
So I have a B550 Motherboard with a 8 pin and 4 pin connector to power my CPU,I am aware that only using the 8 pin is more than enough power to over clock and etc.. But I will be purchasing a new GTX 3090 and I have an AIO cooler for my CPU so I would like to take advantage of the 4 pin slot that’s not being used for more power. Since I will be over clocking, my PCU came with two 8/4 pin so In reality I can use one whole 8/4pin to power the 8pin, but then for the 4pin I could possibly power it only using half of the second 8/4pin I have but I’ll be left with the other half of the 8/4pin hanging over my motherboard, so my question is what options do I have to connect the 4 pin. I did see that I can buy an 8 pin female to an 8+4 pin male adapter but would I still be receiving the necessary amount of power since both the 8 pin and 4 pin are connected to one by an adapter? Also please disregard my specs when trying to answer my question all I’m trying to figure out is how can I connect the 4 pin effectively and efficiently.
Specs are/will be
MOBO B550
GPU RTX 3090
CPU 3700X
RAM 2x 8GB 3200 MHz
PCU 750 Watts SINGLE RAIL
SSD 512GB
HDD 1TB
M.2SSD 1TB

Solution
Yes I understand that precision is very key and that’s is why I’m looking at how am I supposed to get a custom cable that would actually work for my PSU a single 4 pin esp is what I need but my PSU doesn’t have anywhere to connect a single 4 pin esp and that’s where I’m stuck at since I really don’t want to be left with my only option being used as splitting it and leaving half of the other one tucked away.
This post, and I'm being VERY serious here, not trying to put you down or disparage you at all, but this, tells me that you lack the knowledge and understanding that is needed for any kind of undertaking that would require you to use that additional EPS power connection for the CPU anyhow. If you don't know, or realize, or...
That extra 4 pin EPS connector has NOTHING AT ALL to do with what graphics card is installed OR what cooler you use. Nothing. At. All.

The ONLY reason you would need to use that extra 4 pin would be for the very highest core count CPU models and EXTREME overclocking. If you are not doing any extreme overclocking, then you do not need that extra EPS connector no matter what other hardware you are running.

But yes, those connectors are actually 4+4 pin and using half of the second one is what you would need to do IF you needed to use it.

Yo man i'd really like to help out but is it a Typo that you are trying to use an 8pin for your CPU? or did you intend to write GPU
No, it's not a typo. The CPU EPS 8 pin connector (4+4) is common to all consumer motherboards released in the last, IDK, ten years. Many of them now actually have 4+4+4, which are commonly referred to as 8+4, but in reality there isn't an 8 pin connector to be found commonly on ANY system. There were a few 8 pin PCI/PEG connectors on a very few PSU models in the past, but it's been a while since any of them had anything other than 6+2 connectors. If you don't any of that, then helping out is probably going to be a stretch.

Sep 8, 2020
No, it's not a typo. The CPU EPS 8 pin connector (4+4) is common to all consumer motherboards released in the last, IDK, ten years. Many of them now actually have 4+4+4, which are commonly referred to as 8+4, but in reality there isn't an 8 pin connector to be found commonly on ANY system. There were a few 8 pin PCI/PEG connectors on a very few PSU models in the past, but it's been a while since any of them had anything other than 6+2 connectors. If you don't any of that, then helping out is probably going to be a stretch.
That extra 4 pin EPS connector has NOTHING AT ALL to do with what graphics card is installed OR what cooler you use. Nothing. At. All.

The ONLY reason you would need to use that extra 4 pin would be for the very highest core count CPU models and EXTREME overclocking. If you are not doing any extreme overclocking, then you do not need that extra EPS connector no matter what other hardware you are running.

But yes, those connectors are actually 4+4 pin and using half of the second one is what you would need to do IF you needed to use it.
I’m currently waiting for the new AMD Ryzen 4000 proccesors and I will be doing extreme over clocking lmfao that’s why I said disregard the specs.

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Im sorry man i was so confused there, i would not recommend doing that, since 1. as you already said its not neccessary at all and 2. some PSUs dont work if not all pins connected.

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Yes for aesthetics and for safety reasons but I am only seeing cable sets that are 8 pin female and 8+4 pin male so I’m not sure if I’ll be receiving sufficient power on both ends.
This will sound like an AD, but at cablemod you can buy specific cables that suits your needs, sufficient power shouldnt be an issue if you get a decent set (dont buy china off brand PSU cables)

If you require SPECIFIC cable configurations, such as a single 4 pin EPS cable for any given PSU, then I'd suggest you simply either split the connector and tuck half of it away behind the motherboard tray where it can't be seen, or get a set of custom cables made for your PSU model IF it's a model they even offer them for, like those sold by CableMod, Mainframe customs or Performance PCs.

What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

And by "extreme overclocking", I'm talking about professional competitive overclocking using LN2 (Liquid nitrogen) for records, not some kind of upper end daily driver overclock.

The fact is, Zen3 (Ryzen 4000 series) will probably use about 10% LESS power than Zen 2 (Ryzen 2000 series), so there will be LESS of a need to use that additional connector.

Sep 8, 2020
If you require SPECIFIC cable configurations, such as a single 4 pin EPS cable for any given PSU, then I'd suggest you simply either split the connector and tuck half of it away behind the motherboard tray where it can't be seen, or get a set of custom cables made for your PSU model IF it's a model they even offer them for, like those sold by CableMod, Mainframe customs or Performance PCs.

What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

And by "extreme overclocking", I'm talking about professional competitive overclocking using LN2 (Liquid nitrogen) for records, not some kind of upper end daily driver overclock.

The fact is, Zen3 (Ryzen 4000 series) will probably use about 10% LESS power than Zen 2 (Ryzen 2000 series), so there will be LESS of a need to use that additional connector.
The exact model of my PCU is a Seasonic FX PLUS 750Watt, I was looking for a custom cable on cable mod and they do sell a 4 pin eps by itself but my concern is my PCU does not have a 4 pin socket, could I possibly connect it to any of the 8 pin sockets on my PCU.

Sep 8, 2020
Your mobo does have the standard 24-pin-connector and a 8-pin additional power connector?

Then connect both and nothing else. All additional actions which you asked about do not make any sense.
Yes technically I can connect both the 12 pin and 8pin to power on my pc but that’s not the answer I’m looking for there is a 4 pin as well on my motherboard that I would like to know how to possibly connect in the most ethical way, since most modern PCU’s don’t have a 4 pin only an 8/4 pin which I can split in half to connect the 4 pin but that wouldn’t be ethical would it.

Sep 8, 2020
I have since contacted cablemod to help me out in this situation to see if they can assist me in finding alternative ways of connecting the 4pin since clearly nobody here can tell me something I don’t already know. I am really ashamed of the help I’ve received from Tomshardware I had another post where somebody was pointing out that my PCU was broken when it was clearly not it was the Motherboard.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yes technically I can connect both the 12 pin and 8pin to power on my pc but that’s not the answer I’m looking for there is a 4 pin as well on my motherboard that I would like to know how to possibly connect in the most ethical way, since most modern PCU’s don’t have a 4 pin only an 8/4 pin which I can split in half to connect the 4 pin but that wouldn’t be ethical would it.

It's split up for the very purpose of doing this. If you could only use 4 of the 4+4, then there would be no sense in ever dividing it into 4+4. If you don't like the 4 hanging off, then get something custom.

And PSU. While we get what you mean here, precision is very important in this hobby and another question at another time with the wrong letter or number could have very negative effects. Just off the top of my head, I remember one guy trying to get a replacement cable and getting a letter wrong, leading to the wrong modular cable purchase frying his motherboard and another time, someone buying an incompatible motherboard they couldn't return because they got a single number wrong on their 8700k.

Sep 8, 2020
It's split up for the very purpose of doing this. If you could only use 4 of the 4+4, then there would be no sense in ever dividing it into 4+4. If you don't like the 4 hanging off, then get something custom.

And PSU. While we get what you mean here, precision is very important in this hobby and another question at another time with the wrong letter or number could have very negative effects. Just off the top of my head, I remember one guy trying to get a replacement cable and getting a letter wrong, leading to the wrong modular cable purchase frying his motherboard and another time, someone buying an incompatible motherboard they couldn't return because they got a single number wrong on their 8700k.
Yes I understand that precision is very key and that’s is why I’m looking at how am I supposed to get a custom cable that would actually work for my PSU a single 4 pin esp is what I need but my PSU doesn’t have anywhere to connect a single 4 pin esp and that’s where I’m stuck at since I really don’t want to be left with my only option being used as splitting it and leaving half of the other one tucked away.

This post, and I'm being VERY serious here, not trying to put you down or disparage you at all, but this, tells me that you lack the knowledge and understanding that is needed for any kind of undertaking that would require you to use that additional EPS power connection for the CPU anyhow. If you don't know, or realize, or surmise, or whatever, that a custom made cable set with only a single 4 pin EPS connector on the motherboard end would still look exactly the same at the PSU end, except it may or may not have wire pairs joined on some circuits or simply left off the standard 8 pin (CPU/EPS) connector that plugs into your power supply, then you really have no business bothering with this level of activity to begin with.

I know you're going to take that the wrong way and think that I'm trying to insult you, but really, I'm not. I'm trying to guide you around something that first of all you don't NEED to do in the first place because it's completely unnecessary, and secondly, is likely to end up with you toasting something, which I don't want you to end up doing. So, you can take the advice or leave it, as you see fit, but I really think you should just forget the whole thing and go on with life. Get your Ryzen 4000 series when it is released, install it, and then configure whatever overclock you are able to if you still want to do that. If Zen 3 is like all previous versions of Ryzen, there isn't going to be much room for overclocking anyhow. In fact, on basically ALL platforms these days, aside from on lower end 4/8 or straight up 4 core processors, there is very little overclocking headroom anyhow.

Getting an all core configuration somewhere near the frequency of the single core max boost is about the best you can hope for anymore in most cases, and that doesn't require the use of the additional EPS connectors. Like I said before, that really is only needed for competitive overclocking using LN2, liquid nitrogen.

Solution

alexbirdie

Respectable
Simply forget the additional 4-pin-connector.
Darkbreeze explained it quite well, and in a very understandable manner.

But: Make what you believe you must do, but you will not get any further hints for your question than simply to forget it.

Last edited by a moderator: