[SOLVED] I accidentally dropped an exercise bike on my PC [Help]

Jan 16, 2022
Alright so occasionally I have accidentally kicked my PC. A few times, my kicking has caused the display on my monitor to glitch out (repeating images, weird colors, etc) , and it stays like this until I restart it.

Today, a 40 pound foldable metal at-home exercise bike got tipped over and hit the PC. It caused my display to glitch out again, so I restarted, except this time, when it turned on, the PSU made a click and it turned back off, and it kept doing that over and over again until I turned off the PSU switch.

Luckily the glass side of the PC case is nestled up against the side of a bed, so the PC didn't tip over when it was hit, and the glass didn't have any damage. The bike hit the housing somewhere around the top fan/peripherals side of the motherboard, more from the top than the side.

I'm trying to figure out what got screwed up. My first guess is a wire that's attached to the PSU/motherboard got knocked loose, but I'm not sure. I tried reattaching the CPU power cables since those were the closest to the strike location, but no dice.

Any ideas to troubleshoot this?

DSzymborski

Titan
Could literally be anything, from disconnected cables to damaged/destroyed components. No way to tell blind and remotely.

The best thing to do is take everything out of the case and rebuild the PC simply, while breadboarding it outside the case.

It would be better in the future to not have your PC on the floor.

Reactions: temtam and Why_Me
Jan 16, 2022
Could literally be anything, from disconnected cables to damaged/destroyed components. No way to tell blind and remotely.

The best thing to do is take everything out of the case and rebuild the PC simply, while breadboarding it outside the case.

It would be better in the future to not have your PC on the floor.

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently breadboarding it and it powers on with only 1 stick memory, CPU and CPU cooler plugged in.

The problem now is that it isn't displaying anything when I plug in the HDMI to a display.

I have always been using the integrated graphics via HDMI directly to the motherboard. This also happens to be near where the bike hit the PC.

Since the graphics always got screwed up when this has happened previously, I'm thinking the HDMI port or the integrated graphics are in some way broken. I'm thinking of getting a cheap graphics card to see if that would fix it.

I'm not sure what else to do other than this. If you or anyone has any ideas for how I can further narrow the source of the problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 16, 2022
If you listed hardware specs of your pc and provided us with some photos of the damage,
then we might get a better understanding about the situation and come up with some ideas. Probably.

Case - NZXT S340
Motherboard - Tomahawk Z270 Arctic
RAM - 2x GSkill Aegis and 2x GSkill Ripjaw 4
CPU - i7 6700
Cooler - Be Quiet Dark Rock 4
Storage - One M.2 SSD and a couple regular hard drives

There's no visible damage thankfully so pictures wouldn't be helpful. That's why I'm stuck trying to figure out what exactly the problem is internally.