[SOLVED] I accidentally moved a cup with water on the bottom over my pc and am worried water might have gotten through the filter at the top for airflow

Oct 6, 2021
I was moving my cup over and accidentally moved it over my pc with water on the bottom and am worried that water might have gotten through the filter at the top shaped like tiny hexagons, my pc didnt turn off or short curcuit but im still worried, would the water damage shown up immediately because the pc was on? Or am I worrying over nothing?

Solution
I was moving my cup over and accidentally moved it over my pc with water on the bottom and am worried that water might have gotten through the filter at the top shaped like tiny hexagons, my pc didnt turn off or short curcuit but im still worried, would the water damage shown up immediately because the pc was on? Or am I worrying over nothing?
Personally, I'd not take chances in a situation like that where I'm not sure. I'd shut down immediately disconnect power and open the case up, then dry it off for several hours with a fan blowing into it before trying to power back up.

If it's plain water you're more than likely OK so long as it dries off before using again.

Ralston18

Titan
Based on your description - all should be well.

Water did not penetrate into the innards where a drop could cause a fatal short.

That does not mean, however, that there is not some water drop hanging about and ready to fall. Or that water is slowly accumulating into a drop that could fall.

I would shut down for awhile, unplug, and, point a small fan to blow across the top of the PC. Or otherwise get air flowing over, about, and inside the PC.

Then allow some time to permit the filters etc. to thoroughly dry out. Inspect as necessary to verify no water or moisture is present.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
One consideration is: which WAY is the air flow on the top? IF the air is flowing INTO the case there, then Ryankun's suggestion above is a good on e - shut down and dry out as a precaution. IF the air flow is OUT of the case at the top, you may be better to leave it running because you'll have a constant flow of warmer air blowing out, drying any possible water and hopefully ensuring any droplets will NOT drop onto your mobo.

Personally, I'd not take chances in a situation like that where I'm not sure. I'd shut down immediately disconnect power and open the case up, then dry it off for several hours with a fan blowing into it before trying to power back up.

If it's plain water you're more than likely OK so long as it dries off before using again.

Solution