Question I accidently knocked out a small part from my motherboard

Sep 13, 2019
I tried to open graphics card holder from my casing to enter my graphics card but smaller part of steel got stucked that I didn't notice and a smaller component of my motherboard fell off. It's like a resistor. I am giving the exact pic. After that situation I can still use the computer but audio causes problem, It detect and undetect automatically serveral times and still going on. So please let me know what to do now.
Motherboard : MSI b450 Tomahawk Max
pic : https://register.msi.com/uploads/questions/fbb5ec665bb45d80403d0622b84dd5bb.jpg

May be a capacitor to smooth some voltage.

Can't know for sure without having access to PCB schematic of the motherboard.

Or - if you've access to the part itself you can perform a test using something called an ESR meter in order to tell if it is a resistor or capacitor.

BUT - those small components may not stand a mecanical force.

Reactions: captain simon
I tried to open graphics card holder from my casing to enter my graphics card but smaller part of steel got stucked that I didn't notice and a smaller component of my motherboard fell off. It's like a resistor. I am giving the exact pic. After that situation I can still use the computer but audio causes problem, It detect and undetect automatically serveral times and still going on. So please let me know what to do now.
Motherboard : MSI b450 Tomahawk Max
pic : https://register.msi.com/uploads/questions/fbb5ec665bb45d80403d0622b84dd5bb.jpg
It also looks to be in the Audio section... so it makes sense you'd have troubles with audio.

At least you have the option of installing an add-in audio card and disabling on-board audio. Another choice is to use HDMI audio from the graphics card if your monitor provides a speaker/headphone output. You can also try locating a tech to replace the component, it shouldn't be a terrifically difficult repair once the motherboard is removed from the case.

But if you take it to a shop be sure to compare cost of that against an add-in audio card. I'd go with the AIC since it will be transportable... you can take it to the next computer if you want. It can also provide much better quality audio output than on-board.

8751_22_msi-b450-tomahawk-amd-motherboard-review_full.jpg

here if this helps

its mlcc capacitor

anyway, u can RMA mainboard, just say u got audio issues, say nothing specific about missing capacitor, it could fell of on its own
BAD ADVICE! Anyone that looks closer to this MB would see that there is an smd component that is knocked off, and the RMA request will likely be rejected.

Components that is surface mounted (soldered) doesn't just fall off, it does require force.