Question I am able to see pixels moving around on screen in game

john2127

Honorable
Jun 12, 2014
I've noticed in dark areas and areas with consistant lighter colors there are pixels that I can see moving about the screen. This only happens as far as I know when playing some games like dishonored 2 and raft. I have an AORUS AD27QD 27" 144Hz QHD 2560 x 1440 1440P FreeSync and G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor Exclusive Built-in ANC Display HDR 1ms Response Time 10-Bit IPS 95% monitor. I have the monitor at 144hz 1440p and HDR enabled when playing all of my games. My GPU is a gigabyte 5700xt OC edition and it has audible coil whine btw. Idk if I'm sitting too close to my monitor. (I'm at least well over a half a foot away btw) or if it's just a faulty panel/GPU. Any suggestions are much appreciated thanks!

john2127

Honorable
Jun 12, 2014
Moving?

You might want to try recording this with a camera.
I cannot get this problem on camera but the best way I can explain it is the pixels look like an old timey movie where you can see dots moving all around the screen if you get what I mean. It makes something that's sitting still look like its moving. All I can literally see are these little dots moving in game and it's so frustrating.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Are you referring to film scratches and 'cigarette' burns. Not sure what could explain that.

Monitor has a lot of features, I suggest turning them off one by one and seeing if the problem goes away.

Not seeing anything about local dimming, but that is a common feature of HDR monitors to get deeper blacks. If there is a setting for that, disable it, won't be HDR anymore, but you won't get that weird glow around bright objects on black backgrounds, which might be lighting up normally quite dark pixels.

Maybe look into any anti-blur features, I see a flicker free mentioned, and blue light reduction. All might contribute to asking for a pixel color that isn't quite true to a standard output.

Reactions: john2127

john2127

Honorable
Jun 12, 2014
Are you referring to film scratches and 'cigarette' burns. Not sure what could explain that.

Monitor has a lot of features, I suggest turning them off one by one and seeing if the problem goes away.

Not seeing anything about local dimming, but that is a common feature of HDR monitors to get deeper blacks. If there is a setting for that, disable it, won't be HDR anymore, but you won't get that weird glow around bright objects on black backgrounds, which might be lighting up normally quite dark pixels.

Maybe look into any anti-blur features, I see a flicker free mentioned, and blue light reduction. All might contribute to asking for a pixel color that isn't quite true to a standard output.
I tried to get it on camera, let me know what you think. watch it at 1080p if you can too. Imo like I said in the video it kinda looks like static pattern that the pixels are making. The video doesn't do the best job at letting you see it but it's all I got.
View: https://youtu.be/4wK0-je_t4Q

john2127

Honorable
Jun 12, 2014

So far I've turned off hdr changed display cables (hdmi and DP) and have messed with a few settings with the monitor and still nothing

john2127

Honorable
Jun 12, 2014

Btw Not really film scratches but more of a static

john2127

Honorable
Jun 12, 2014

So I think I found a solution... this only appears in dishonored 2 when I use TXAAx1 Instead of FXAA High antialiasing why do you think that this static pixilation is happening when txaa is enabled? Also keeping this thread open for discussion if anybody else has the same issue

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, that comes down to the algorithm. I'm no expert there, too many standards to keep track of. These days I am more of a casual gamer, I set it to run at 1440p, high or second highest graphics settings and call it a day. When my GPU can't handle it, I upgrade. Don't really have time to optimize and test for max performance.