Question I am desperate at this point. Computer hard locks every 15mins

Jul 29, 2019
So long story short i have had this computer since the i7-4770k came out. works fine one day i notice if it stays on for 24 hours straight it hard locks and the only way to boot it back up is power cycle it.

Fast forward a little bit in time windows updates happen computer starts hard locking every 15 mins after the updates so i go back in time and just never install that update thinking eventually the issue will be solved.

Fast forward about a year later to two weeks ago i finally decide to wipe the whole drive and start fresh reinstall windows 10 and its back to the hard locking every 15 mins no acceptions and i am out of patience with this pos operating system. No idea what is going on. Then today i walk away after it hard freezes and a bsod pops up critical_process_died.

I have called microsoft about this got escalated to a level two told him everything i have done including scanning hardware and found no errors at all, installed ubuntu on the pc works fine testing running for 1 week now and no errors. installed gentoo test ran for one week no errors. level 2 told me you did everything i was going to tell you to do i will talk to my supervisor and call you back in 10 mins no call back 2 days later case was closed by MS.

I am in desperate need of some guidance as i am at my wits end with this issue and feel it is clouding my judgment from something that may be simple.

info about the system

mobo- gigabyte z87x-ud4h with most recent bios
proc- intel i7-4770k
ram - 16gigs
hdd - samsung 840 pro 256gig ssd
video card - evga geforce gtx760

Apr 1, 2019
By wiping the drive do you mean you deleted the volume and reformatted the drive before reinstalling Windows?

Run PowerShell as admin and run “sfc /scannow” (no quotes). If it found any corruptions then run it again until it says that no corruptions were found. Reboot and run windows update to install the latest update

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019
Still lost with this if anyone has any other ideas that would be great.

only errors in the eventviewer are dcom errors not sure that is causing the freezing but it is the last thing that i can think of.

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so i still cant figure out what is wrong with this stupid thing. but i loaded ubuntu and installed win 10 on a virtual machine and no freezes on the vm.

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried removing the graphics card and using the onboard graphics instead, just to see if that eliminates the freezing?

The graphics driver is not installed on the vmware machine so i am going to run it over night see if it freezes at all and if it doesnt i am going to instal the graphics driver and see what happens

Jul 29, 2019
So the computer doesnt lock in a vm. taking the gfx card out doesnt change anything it still locks on straight hdd. Could it just be that the mobo is done and for whatever reason linux and gentoo just dont care about it.

Also as i have said the system was working fine on a previous version of windows 10 i just dont remember which one

Last edited:
This sounds like either motherboard or RAM to me; nothing else I can think of would cause a "critical_process_died" BSOD.

Assuming you've tried a Windows format by this point, my recommendation is to try running on one stick of RAM and see if the issue goes away. While memtest86+ is good for finding RAM failures, it's not foolproof. The only way to rule out RAM is to try running one stick at a time and see if the issue remains.

If it's not RAM and you've reformatted from scratch, then I'd suspect motherboard by process of elimination.

Jul 29, 2019
So after all of this i am confident that it is in fact the ssd. I built a new pc saved some old parts and it got narrowed down to the ssd, that being said i think the issue was 1 of 2 things either the firmware was out of date or there was a rootkit/virus bound to the ssds firmware. i wiped the old firmware and installed new firmware on the ssd and the computer has not frozen yet.