[SOLVED] I am getting low CPU Usage but High GPU USAGE

Jul 9, 2021
my spec is rtx 3060 and amd ryzen 7 5800h in a laptop. i compared with other people and it is way better. i tried many settings, it still doesn't work.

Last edited:
Solution
It's 1 times 16gb, they are all lower than 40%
1x16gb is going to perform worse than 2x8gb. If you are comparing to any similar laptops that are using dual channel RAM (2x8gb or 2x4gb) they will be faster for gaming. Running single channel RAM can have a significant impact on performance yet many laptops that are branded as gaming often come with single channel RAM which restricts their performance.

With no cpu threads hitting 100% usage it is not the cpu limiting performance. With the gpu running between 90-100% I’d expect it is either or both the gpu and RAM that are limiting performance.

What are the cpu and gpu temperatures when gaming? Gaming laptops often overheat and if you are comparing to a laptop that is running...
Jul 9, 2021
I compared it to people with the same laptop, and they are getting higher FPS than me. I tested games like Fortnite, COD, Warzone, all of them CPU is underperforming with very low usage but GPU is 90-100% usage which is fine.

I compared it to people with the same laptop, and they are getting higher FPS than me. I tested games like Fortnite, COD, Warzone, all of them CPU is underperforming with very low usage but GPU is 90-100% usage which is fine.
If the gpu is hitting 90-100% usage then it’s the gpu that is limiting performance. Also total cpu usage is fairly meaningless, you need to monitor all cores and threads.

It's 1 times 16gb, they are all lower than 40%
1x16gb is going to perform worse than 2x8gb. If you are comparing to any similar laptops that are using dual channel RAM (2x8gb or 2x4gb) they will be faster for gaming. Running single channel RAM can have a significant impact on performance yet many laptops that are branded as gaming often come with single channel RAM which restricts their performance.

With no cpu threads hitting 100% usage it is not the cpu limiting performance. With the gpu running between 90-100% I’d expect it is either or both the gpu and RAM that are limiting performance.

What are the cpu and gpu temperatures when gaming? Gaming laptops often overheat and if you are comparing to a laptop that is running cooler that can also cause a difference in performance. If comparing to the same model laptop that is in a cooler environment or has had its thermal paste changed or has been undervolted that could also cause your laptop to get lower FPS if it is running hotter.

Solution