[SOLVED] I am looking for a microphone for my pc

vedant.naik09

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Hello,
I am looking for a microphone for my pc. My pc has two ports (One for headphone and one for mic). What should I look into the microphone so that I know its compatible with my pc. Will a mic with a jack of 2 rings work on my pc?

Solution
As most mics are mono, most will have only one ring(TS). A mic jack with two rings means it's either stereo or balanced(TRS). I'm willing to bet that your mic input only supports the single ring jack. A TRS jack may or may not work with a TS input, usually it will work fine, and will function like an unbalanced mic. If it's a stereo mic, it will operate as a mono mic. So yes, a two ring jack will usually work, but it's not 100% guaranteed.

Now if your input were to be a TRS and you plugged a TS jack into it, you will only be heard through one channel.

IMO, you should just get a usb mic, usb mics tend to have cleaner sound anyways over onboard audio.
As most mics are mono, most will have only one ring(TS). A mic jack with two rings means it's either stereo or balanced(TRS). I'm willing to bet that your mic input only supports the single ring jack. A TRS jack may or may not work with a TS input, usually it will work fine, and will function like an unbalanced mic. If it's a stereo mic, it will operate as a mono mic. So yes, a two ring jack will usually work, but it's not 100% guaranteed.

Now if your input were to be a TRS and you plugged a TS jack into it, you will only be heard through one channel.

IMO, you should just get a usb mic, usb mics tend to have cleaner sound anyways over onboard audio.

Solution

vedant.naik09

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Oh okay thank you so much for your help.Hopefully my port is a trs one..Also I just need a mic to communicate with my friends so I dont wish to spend more on a usb mic..Anyways thank you so much for your help.