[SOLVED] I am thinking of getting an M.2 SSD

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
My Motherboard is this

Super Micro C7H270-CG-ML

And the M.2 I'm prompted to get is either of these...

Kingston A2000

https://amzn.to/2S7QNLn

Western Digital SN550

https://amzn.to/3cprk6L

I understand that I've repeatedly asked this a few times but I'm asking for something else. See the reviewers from these M.2 complained about getting fake ones and that some of them got the drive slot burned(Kingston) So this makes me paranoid as I'm getting hesitant if the M.2 burns my motherboard suddenly. Can this potentially happen.

Also the SN550 a lot of them are saying that its made in China and are saying its not running 2400 MBs as advertised. Is there a difference between the one made in Malaysia and China and is it intended to run that much?

Solution
Pretty much anything and everything that comes into your hands are made in China. China is the world manufacturer. As for your M.2 question, you might want to see if you can snag a Samsung 970 Evo plus considering that the M.2 slot on the motherboard you own can accept a PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD. The Samsung is the cream of the crop and there are many other brands out there like Crucial, Team Group, Corsair, Transcend, PNY and SK Hynix.

They are all the same, probably the difference is in build quality. Kingston's have had d bad rep for a while now, where they sent out cherry picked units out to reviewers to give Kingston and their devices a good review in order to generate sales for the mass market. It was only after everyone bought them en...

Lutfij

Titan
Pretty much anything and everything that comes into your hands are made in China. China is the world manufacturer. As for your M.2 question, you might want to see if you can snag a Samsung 970 Evo plus considering that the M.2 slot on the motherboard you own can accept a PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD. The Samsung is the cream of the crop and there are many other brands out there like Crucial, Team Group, Corsair, Transcend, PNY and SK Hynix.

They are all the same, probably the difference is in build quality. Kingston's have had d bad rep for a while now, where they sent out cherry picked units out to reviewers to give Kingston and their devices a good review in order to generate sales for the mass market. It was only after everyone bought them en masse and found subpar firmware support + horrible read wrote speeds, not to mention an overall bad experience with the SSD in terms of reliability, was when people stopped with Kingston drives and switched to another brand.

Solution

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020

They are all the same, probably the difference is in build quality. Kingston's have had d bad rep for a while now, where they sent out cherry picked units out to reviewers to give Kingston and their devices a good review in order to generate sales for the mass market. It was only after everyone bought them en masse and found subpar firmware support + horrible read wrote speeds, not to mention an overall bad experience with the SSD in terms of reliability, was when people stopped with Kingston drives and switched to another brand.

Ok so one of the reviewers got their slot burned when inserting it to a laptop. Can that actually happen when you insert the M.2 to the motherboard?

USAFRet

Titan
One reviewer from Amazon named
Yash Joshi used a Kingston A2000 on his laptop and it caused fumes

https://amzn.to/2SjVXUj

Doesn't mention the laptop name and why though I wonder if this can actually happen on a motherboard and its making me a bit paranoid.
It can happen, but for a variety of reasons.

Bad drive
Faulty motherboard slot
Incompatible parts
Clueless human

It is not 'common'.
However, I personally would not get a Kingston drive. There are many many other, better ones.
Samsung, Crucial, WD come to mind.

First of all, m.2 is a size format.
It comes in both sata and pcie flavors.
pcie benches faster sequentially, perhaps 2-4x.
m.2 slots into the motherboard and does not need sata data or power connectors.
But on a gross level all ssd devices will perform similarly.
That is because most activity is small random I/O.
Vendor synthetic benchmarks are run at high queue depths which are uncommon in desktop usage.

Any ssd will be a major boost in performance compared to a HDD.
If budget is an issue, you can use m.2 or 2.5" sata and get similar performance.

I would suggest paying a bit more for a samsung ssd.
They show up as almost perfect reliability in this report:

And to the claim of damage by inserting a m.2, no doubt, that was done without removing or deactivating the laptop battery.
Any time you work on hardware, you should power off and unplug from the wall.