[SOLVED] I believe I may have a virus

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
I was trying to remove Citrix today from my computer (desktop), and first used the Citrix Receiver desktop clean-up utility, then that didn't' work, so I used the Microsoft Install and Uninstall tool at
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-removed-cca7d1b6-65a9-3d98-426b-e9f927e1eb4d
After a while my file explorer was really weird where it could only open files in new windows even if I tried to fix with open in same window in options. I still have QTTab options in there also... which I thought I uninstalled.

then I went to startup programs .. and way at the bottom I saw Chinese words ... for a program ... clicked on for startup. I clicked off. Then went out and back into that and it was gone.

What is my best option? I have Kaspersky.

Solution
you are afraid you are infected but do not want to run a scan with your security software?

keep an eye on Task Manager and check for anything suspicious running.
if you don't want to use the built-in Windows Security features and don't want to use your own security suite you can attempt to restore to a previous Restore Point before the issue(s) occurred.
or you can perform a fresh OS wipe & install.
you are afraid you are infected but do not want to run a scan with your security software?

keep an eye on Task Manager and check for anything suspicious running.
if you don't want to use the built-in Windows Security features and don't want to use your own security suite you can attempt to restore to a previous Restore Point before the issue(s) occurred.
or you can perform a fresh OS wipe & install.

Reactions: Tommy Sawyer
Solution
I wasn't really afraid. I just was wondering the order of things if that makes sense. I will run Kaspersky and MalwareBytes. And should I also do sfc /scannow?

Bitdefender too also has a free option. That said chinese drivers for things like realtek chipsets (audio/networking) aren't uncommon. HOWEVER if you work an any hi-tech industry with your laptop, or contain some valuable knowledge, I would act in caution and wipe the system. If it's a company laptop, contact your IT administrator/support for a system wipe. China's supports technology stealing hackers. Some are even backed by their gov't.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/na...uawei-tech-opens-door-chinese-spying-n1136956

China Stealing Technology and Intellectual Property from U.S. | National Review

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
Bitdefender too also has a free option. That said chinese drivers for things like realtek chipsets (audio/networking) aren't uncommon. HOWEVER if you work an any hi-tech industry with your laptop, or contain some valuable knowledge, I would act in caution and wipe the system. If it's a company laptop, contact your IT administrator/support for a system wipe. China's supports technology stealing hackers. Some are even backed by their gov't.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/na...uawei-tech-opens-door-chinese-spying-n1136956

China Stealing Technology and Intellectual Property from U.S. | National Review

Thanks. Do you know why my file explorer can't change to "open each folder in the same window" ... i made the change 100 times in options and it is not saving and not working like that. It opens a new window each time I click on a file folder.

can't change to "open each folder in the same window"
the only way i remember locating options related to it:

Explorer > Menu > View > Options = Browse Folders
or
Control Panel > File Explorer Options = Browse Folders

it's possible there are registry entries pertaining to it where you may just have to edit a (1), (0), or something similar.
maybe search for those.

if the selection is not sticking there is either a general fault in Windows,
some other Explorer customization software running and overriding your selection,
or there is some kind of security or account protection keeping you from changing these types of settings.

you can try making sure you are currently the only Administrator Account,
try creating a new Administrator Account and deleting all other accounts,
try a Windows Reset or Factory Refresh
or just re-install with a fresh wipe and updated installer.

Last edited:

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
the only way i remember locating options related to it:

Explorer > Menu > View > Options = Browse Folders
or
Control Panel > File Explorer Options = Browse Folders

it's possible there are registry entries pertaining to it where you may just have to edit a (1), (0), or something similar.
maybe search for those.

if the selection is not sticking there is either a general fault in Windows,
some other Explorer customization software running and overriding your selection,
or there is some kind of security or account protection keeping you from changing these types of settings.

you can try making sure you are currently the only Administrator Account,
try creating a new Administrator Account and deleting all other accounts,
try a Windows Reset or Factory Refresh
or just re-install with a fresh wipe and updated installer.

Thanks. I did a fresh clean install of Windows 10.