Question I broke a pin off my Ryzen 5600X, now my monitors will only respond with 1 stick of RAM, not 2 ?

joe_shroe

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2016
I took out my Ryzen 5600X to clean and reapply thermal paste. I had trouble this time putting the stock cooler fan back on and used a bit of force to get all four screws to mount to my motherboard properly. When I pressed the power button on my tower, I got no response. I removed and reseated the CPU and cooler a few more times after that. After maybe the 3rd/4th time, I saw that the CPU had a few pins bent. I used some tweezers to try to realign some pins and one broke off. I looked up a pinout diagram and it looks like that pin is VSS, one of many ground pins scattered throughout the unit.

I turned on the power and the fans started spinning, but my monitors weren't getting any signal. I tinkered around for a bit, and one time I was able to get in to the BIOS but it couldn't detect any bootable devices, even though BIOS was recognizing my SSD.

I then tried swapping and repeatedly reseating the RAM chips again, and I found out that it would only work now with 1 stick of RAM in the B2 slot (4th from left). However it still brought me to BIOS with no bootable devices. I only got it to work by enabling CSM and rebooting.

I still cannot use my 2nd stick of RAM because if I do my monitors will stay black. What can I do to fix this? Could that broken pin from my 5600X be the problem here?

joe_shroe

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2016
You can source a second hand damaged CPU from Ebay and recycle a pin from that to put on your processor.
Are you saying I need to resolder the pin onto the CPU? I have the broken pin but it's not going to do me any good since I would need specialized tools to solder something that small.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
R
I took out my Ryzen 5600X to clean and reapply thermal paste. I had trouble this time putting the stock cooler fan back on and used a bit of force to get all four screws to mount to my motherboard properly. When I pressed the power button on my tower, I got no response. I removed and reseated the CPU and cooler a few more times after that. After maybe the 3rd/4th time, I saw that the CPU had a few pins bent. I used some tweezers to try to realign some pins and one broke off. I looked up a pinout diagram and it looks like that pin is VSS, one of many ground pins scattered throughout the unit.

I turned on the power and the fans started spinning, but my monitors weren't getting any signal. I tinkered around for a bit, and one time I was able to get in to the BIOS but it couldn't detect any bootable devices, even though BIOS was recognizing my SSD.

I then tried swapping and repeatedly reseating the RAM chips again, and I found out that it would only work now with 1 stick of RAM in the B2 slot (4th from left). However it still brought me to BIOS with no bootable devices. I only got it to work by enabling CSM and rebooting.

I still cannot use my 2nd stick of RAM because if I do my monitors will stay black. What can I do to fix this? Could that broken pin from my 5600X be the problem here?
RAM controller is located in the CPU. Time to replace.