[SOLVED] I broke M.2 standoff

Feb 15, 2021
erWkZzG.png

The problem is that I broke this standoff and it's not like a simple m.2 standoff, like originally you can't unscrew it. And the worst part I lost that standoff I broke
Motherboard ASROCK B450M Pro4-F
What should I do?

Last edited:
Solution
Just use some 2 part epoxy like JB Weld to stick a standard M.2 standoff back on. The copper you are seeing in the hole there means that hole is hooked into the ground plane so should be fine, just be sure to install an ssd and screw into that slot while it cures to be sure everything lines up when its finished. (JB Weld also makes a 2 part putty that may work even better here now that I think of it because it will hold the part on there in any position during cure. Worst case scenario would be to use a small bubble level or eyeball it the best you can to make sure its in the relatively straight and level if you go with the non-putty epoxy. if getting an ssd to stay in there during cure isn't possible try sticking something hvy on top...

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
Personally, I'd tack on a 3M automotive or industrial double-sided tape.... but just a sliver.

Cut a piece measuring approx. 1 x 2 cm and attach it to the edge of the M.2 where the screw and standoff would've been and tape the drive onto the motherboard. You can make the tape a little wider so you'll have something for your finger to grip on to and make future removal easier.

Feb 15, 2021
Personally, I'd tack on a 3M automotive or industrial double-sided tape.... but just a sliver.

Cut a piece measuring approx. 1 x 2 cm and attach it to the edge of the M.2 where the screw and standoff would've been and tape the drive onto the motherboard. You can make the tape a little wider so you'll have something for your finger to grip on to and make future removal easier.
acfb2536e21453e217e42b91107dcd8f796.jpg

This is how it looks like right now. Isn't that dangerous to use tapes

You can make a contraption from M2 screw with a 3-4 mm long piece of isolation cut from PVC wire on it. Put a screw through motherboard and carefully tighten until drive is fixed in place, but still not teared off motherboard :) Even better if you can make a little rectangular plastic brick in old standoff height with a screw hole in middle used in place of "standoff" between M.2 drive. Brick will not slide away on motherboard moving around. Then use M2 screw with a nut through motherboard standoff hole and brick.

Reactions: change is needed

ChangeinPortland

Commendable
Sep 9, 2019
Just use some 2 part epoxy like JB Weld to stick a standard M.2 standoff back on. The copper you are seeing in the hole there means that hole is hooked into the ground plane so should be fine, just be sure to install an ssd and screw into that slot while it cures to be sure everything lines up when its finished. (JB Weld also makes a 2 part putty that may work even better here now that I think of it because it will hold the part on there in any position during cure. Worst case scenario would be to use a small bubble level or eyeball it the best you can to make sure its in the relatively straight and level if you go with the non-putty epoxy. if getting an ssd to stay in there during cure isn't possible try sticking something hvy on top while it cures, to hold that thing in the correct position. ). I also noticed there is another M.2 slot in the bottom right corner, is there some reason not to use this one instead? Do you have 2 M.2 Drives, or is the bottom one Sata or something?

Last edited:
Reactions: change is needed
Solution
Feb 15, 2021
Just use some 2 part epoxy like JB Weld to stick a standard M.2 standoff back on. The copper you are seeing in the hole there means that hole is hooked into the ground plane so should be fine, just be sure to install an ssd and screw into that slot while it cures to be sure everything lines up when its finished. (JB Weld also makes a 2 part putty that may work even better here now that I think of it because it will hold the part on there in any position during cure. Worst case scenario would be to use a small bubble level or eyeball it the best you can to make sure its in the relatively straight and level if you go with the non-putty epoxy. if getting an ssd to stay in there during cure isn't possible try sticking something hvy on top while it cures, to hold that thing in the correct position. ). I also noticed there is another M.2 slot in the bottom right corner, is there some reason not to use this one instead? Do you have 2 M.2 Drives, or is the bottom one Sata or something?
The bottom one is Sata, yeah. I only have PCIE right now.

Thanks for recommendations, i'll try something.

Reactions: ChangeinPortland
You have a second m.2 slot with a standoff.
Can you mount your m.2 there?
Could you move the second standoff to where the broken one was?

The key point of the standoff is to hold down the m.2 to make good contact in the slot.
It is a mechanical thing, not an electrical thing.

It looks like there is some thread left in the hole.
Go to a hardware store and see if you can't buy a flat head screw that fits.
Find something like a plastic washer that is the same height as the original standoff.
See if you can't screw down the m.2.
You may need to adjust the length of the screw.
I would not trust glue to hold things down. Epoxy, possibly.

Reactions: LolaGT