Question I can only get computer to power on by using a paper clip

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 14, 2022
Currently I can only get my pc to turn on by using a paper clip in the 24 pin.When i turn the power switch on Everything turns on fine but my fans are going very fast but my gpu fans do not work.

My gpu fans dont work and it wont broadcast to my monitor.It has power and is lit up but it's not working.

I still have not figured out why i need the paperclip because my psu is very new so there should be no issues.

So how do i get my gpu to broadcast to my monitor?

The fans will only spin with the paper clip in and will not work with the power button.So is this a good thing for the motherboard or bad?
Impossible to say for certain...Dell does things their own way so conventional wisdom simply doesn't always work. It may take some analysis with an ohm meter to find out if there is continuity between the case switch leads, the motherboard pins and the "start" pins on the 24pin cable just to know that's working as expected.

But really, the problem is solved if the motherboard won't spin fans with the CPU out: if it doesn't, there's a mobo problem. If so then you need a new one...for 12 yo tech?

May 14, 2022
Impossible to say for certain...Dell does things their own way so conventional wisdom simply doesn't always work. It may take some analysis with an ohm meter to find out if there is continuity between the case switch leads, the motherboard pins and the "start" pins on the 24pin cable just to know that's working as expected.

But really, the problem is solved if the motherboard won't spin fans with the CPU out: if it doesn't, there's a mobo problem. If so then you need a new one...for 12 yo tech?
Ok thank you very much for the help.
I will take the cpu out and then test it

I will take the cpu out and then test it

hah..oh...yeah...there's one other tidbit. The PSU provides a "PWR_OK" signal to the motherboard to tell it that it's on with stable power so it's OK to proceed with start up. IF the PSU isn't setting that...then nothing works on the motherboard and so the motherboard may command the PSU back off (that all happens so fast you'd never notice it). When you use the paperclip the motherboard isn't involved so it can't command it back off, so it appears to work. At least nominally because the motherboard may refuse to initialize any hardware without the PWR_OK.

That would mean it comes back to the PSU again.

So you see, it's important to swap hardware. If you have the original PSU try connecting it up to see if it works.

May 14, 2022
hah..oh...yeah...there's one other tidbit. The PSU provides a "PWR_OK" signal to the motherboard to tell it that it's on with stable power so it's OK to proceed with start up. IF the PSU isn't setting that...then nothing works on the motherboard and so the motherboard may command the PSU back off (that all happens so fast you'd never notice it). When you use the paperclip the motherboard isn't involved so it can't command it back off, so it appears to work. At least nominally because the motherboard may refuse to initialize any hardware without the PWR_OK.

That would mean it comes back to the PSU again.

So you see, it's important to swap hardware. If you have the original PSU try connecting it up to see if it works.
I have already checked my old psu and it does the same thing so luckily that is not an issue

May 14, 2022
Yes the CPU can, as if it's internally shorted for instance.

But don't confuse booting with just starting up: if it spins fans and lights some lights with the CPU out there's some promise for the motherboard still.

Since you've got a decent case and new PSU I personally think it's time to upgrade motherboard and CPU too. If it can be budgeted, of course: an inexpensive AM4 board with 5700G APU will make a world of improvement for gaming.
I finally got around to taking out my cpu and the power button still does not work.

If my cpu is fine then why was it not broadcasting to my monitor when i used the paper clip?

The only things ive taken out are my cpu and gpu