Question I cannot reinstall my windows via usb install - all i get is a mouse cursor and a black screen.

DieHardjagged

Reputable
Mar 4, 2019
Hello,
i researched on the internet for a while, but i couldnt find anything that worked, my problem is, i cannot use the windows cd since my cd drive doesnt seem to work, i created a installer via usb drive on another pc, but when i use the drive on my pc, all i get is the mouse cursor and a black screen, no matter how long i wait, nothing happens.
I tried it with another usb stick but same problem.
The usb drive worked when i reinstall my system a couple of months ago)
There could be cause, im not sure, i recenty replaced mfc140u.dll in the system32 folder because a program i used needed it and thus i overwrote the file with a replacement.
Sorry, i forgot to add this, im using Windows 7.
Cheers

Last edited:

DieHardjagged

Reputable
Mar 4, 2019
I think something may be wrong with my motherboard(?), i did what you said and still get the blinking cursor, i even reformatted the drive on another PC to make sure its clean and also tried a spare HDD, same Problem.
I also removed my GPU and used the built in dvi port and got funny colors a couple of times.
I dont know what i could try else.

DieHardjagged

Reputable
Mar 4, 2019
Let me guess, all i can do now is trash the mainboard and replace it?
Given that i cant even trigger the USB Installation which worked fine a month ago, could mean theres something wrong now with the MB.
I bought that part back in 2012/13.
(Well or i just need a New pure HDD.)
Theres something else i noticed, normally when i would shutdown my PC the external usb port would shutdown too but now its still on.

No. There's nothing wrong with your motherboard (except it's somewhat dated).
Your USB installation media is wrong. You have to recreate it with appropriate settings for legacy systems.

Partition scheme has to be MBR,
Target System - BIOS (or UEFI-CSM)
File System - can be Fat32 or NTFS.

How-to-use-Rufus-to-install-Windows-10.png

Last edited:

DieHardjagged

Reputable
Mar 4, 2019
Its working..wow..and the cause was, that most likely i chose one wrong setting and didnt notice it when i created the drive back then.
Thanks alot for the help, i really appreciate it.